Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2003, 05:50 PM   #1
SackAttack
Head Coach

Umpire hit list

Lee Iassogna.
Joe West.

If I ever meet either of these fuckers in person, I'll see to it that they can no longer stand long enough to officiate a game.

Bastards.

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 05:57 PM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

You don't by chance go to White Sox games often do you?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 06:02 PM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

Nope.

But Joe West just passed Iassogna on my hit list.

He punched LoDuca out on strikes on a pitch that practically BOUNCED in front of the plate, and then called Ross out on strikes in the 9th on a pitch that was a good 4 inches off the plate.

Bring on QuesTec. I'm tired of this homer bullshit.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:01 PM   #4
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SackAttack
Bring on QuesTec. I'm tired of this homer bullshit.

why stop there? let's just have computers umpire the entire game! what would happen when Lou Pinella goes out to argue? He kicks dirt on a computer? or would he throw it into the stands?
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 08:03 PM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by McSweeny
why stop there? let's just have computers umpire the entire game! what would happen when Lou Pinella goes out to argue? He kicks dirt on a computer? or would he throw it into the stands?

He will probably press CtL-Alt-Del
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 08:08 PM   #6
FBPro
College Starter

My gosh, wouldn't it be easier to compile a "NON" hit list?
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 08:30 PM   #7
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by McSweeny
Personally, I wouldn't mind it.

I like having human umpires there but I can't stand how much they whine about QuesTec. I can't see how there can be something wrong with having to be accountable for what you do. I can't see something wrong with asking the umpires to be a little more consistent and follow the rule some (otherwise, change the rule).
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 12:31 AM   #8
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

The main problems with Questec are that

A: It's not in every ballpark
B: The umpires are more afraid to call pitches strikes, so in effect the strike zone shrinks.

It's a good idea and a good theory, but the current application of it is terrible.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:33 AM   #9
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Dola

People already complain about how juiced the ball is and how all the games now are just home run derbies, so anything that is perceived to give hitters any type of extra advantage will generate controversy among fans.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:54 AM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

So put it in every ballpark. I don't care about "hitter's advantages" at this point.

Joe West called this game in a horribly unprofessional manner today, and I'm exceedingly pissed about it. Without QuesTec, his job isn't on the line.

With it...it is. I'd love to see his ass fired and flipping burgers.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:06 AM   #11
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdawg2003
The main problems with Questec are that

A: It's not in every ballpark
B: The umpires are more afraid to call pitches strikes, so in effect the strike zone shrinks.

It's a good idea and a good theory, but the current application of it is terrible.

One of the main problems with QuesTec is that there is a 2 inch zone where any call is right, 1 inch inside the plate and 1 out. Therefore, if there is a pitch that is the ump thinks in near the corner of the plate and QuesTec is in use, and ump would be more incline to call it a ball because from 1 inch inside the corner out, any pitch called a ball is right.

Using QuesTec to determine who umps the post season makes this even worse because a higher percentage of correct calls makes this even worse as umps want to do whatever they can to ump post season games and get the post season paycheck.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 03:12 AM   #12
Bad-example
College Starter

It really is frustrating when bad umpiring determines the outcome of a game.

The Dodgers deserved the chance to lose that game based on their own merit.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 04:00 AM   #13
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
One of the main problems with QuesTec is that there is a 2 inch zone where any call is right, 1 inch inside the plate and 1 out. Therefore, if there is a pitch that is the ump thinks in near the corner of the plate and QuesTec is in use, and ump would be more incline to call it a ball because from 1 inch inside the corner out, any pitch called a ball is right.

Using QuesTec to determine who umps the post season makes this even worse because a higher percentage of correct calls makes this even worse as umps want to do whatever they can to ump post season games and get the post season paycheck.
Just a thought regarding QuesTec from one of Peter Gammons' article:
Quote:
Lord, please save us from the endless prattling about QuesTec. At the All-Star break, the ERA in games with QuesTec was 4.44, in games without it 4.43.
Maybe his opinions can be questioned but this is pure numbers. It doesn't change the game. But it does gives the Commissioner Office [hopefully, someone with intelligence like Alderson] something to use as a measuring stick and a way to appropriately judge performance on the field.

I don't know that I agree with using it as a way to determine post-season umpiring rosters [never heard of that, actually] until a few more years with it has passed so that a greater number of samples can be taken and changes can be made to the system.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 09:51 AM   #14
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

It's frustrating when a bad call determines the outcome of a game but I let the umpires slide with some bad calls. It's the ones like West, who feel they are a bigger part of the game than they really are, that get on my list.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 09:57 AM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

Bad-example: EXACTLY. The Dodgers were plenty capable of losing that game without outside assistance. What makes it so frustrating is that they were starting to hit well, MIGHT have pulled the win out, but had the bats taken out of their hands by that overweight tub of monkey grease.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:09 AM   #16
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
One of the main problems with QuesTec is that there is a 2 inch zone where any call is right, 1 inch inside the plate and 1 out.
Uh, if any call 1 inch off the plate is right either way, then feel free to call it a strike. You're only going to get in trouble as an ump if you're calling pitches strike that are two inches off the plate or more. And those should in no way ever be called strikes.

The correct application of QuesTec does not shrink the strike zone for 97 percent of MLB pitchers, it probably enlarges it. The days of the strike zone going from inch below the belt to an inch above the knees are gone. QuesTec will enlarge the strike zone from the armpits to the knees, as it should be.

The only pitchers who will be "penalized" are veterans like Madduz, Glavine and Schilling who have been living six inches off the plate for years and getting away with it. Applied correctly, QuesTec will help young pitches from getting squeezed. Kauffman doesn't have QuesTec and I can't tell you how many times this season I have seen one of the Royals young pitchers get screwed on a pitch on the corners called a ball against a veteran hitter.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote