Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2003, 07:52 PM   #1
Aesyrqwe
High School JV

Question Need computer help

My sisters computer just crapped out on her, and of course I had to spend the whole day trying to fix it. Only problem is that I wasnt able to fix the problem. The opperating system is Windowns ME. The thing is that everytime she tries to use the internet, it says that that modem is invalid. Now I'm not the greatest with computers, as a matter of fact im quite stupid with them, but I've gone through just about everything I could think of. Ive gone to add new hardware to try to add the port for the modem (COM3) because it wasnt with the other ports (COM1 and her printer). Id end up getting COM2, COM5, COM4, and it would keep going, skipping the only one I need. Ive tried installing the modem onto a different port, and that didnt work either.. Any help would be appreciated, and yes, go ahead and laugh at me because of my ineptness with the computer...

Oh and nothing major has been installed since the last time shes used the internet other than Kazaa, and I already tried deleting it to see if it was what was causing the problem..

-Aes-
#8 Grossman
#33 Tillman

Aesyrqwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:51 PM   #2
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

could she have fried the modem? it may be gone.

I do remember one time one of the windows components associated with dial-up networking became corrupted on my machine, and I had to reinstall that compenent (it was a windows component - and I don't remember which one it was, I'm afraid).

might want to play around with reinstalling windows components associated with modem/dial-up networking/etc to see if that helps. but, to me, it sounds like the most likely culprit is a bad modem
Old 07-31-2003, 09:10 PM   #3
Aesyrqwe
High School JV

I dont know, ive used the modem diagnostic tests and it says the modem is just fine, it says the port is the problem. And I dont know any other way to get the computer to recognize it other than going through add new hardware. But of course, that didnt work..

-Aes-
#8 Grossman
#33 Tillman
Aesyrqwe is offline   Reply With Quote