Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Surviving Jetlag - any advice

Hi,

I've landed in the UK for another business trip and am currently propping open my eyelids ... any advice on how to get in sync as quickly as possible?

Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Hi,

I've landed in the UK for another business trip and am currently propping open my eyelids ... any advice on how to get in sync as quickly as possible?

I never really had a problem going to Europe, it was always the trip back to the US that killed me.

I would just drink as much coffee as possible to make it through the first day, then crash early that night, and hope to sleep through the night.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
sooner333
College Starter

Yeah, I think the key is just fighting through day one and then going to sleep at a time where you know you can sleep until morning. It worked pretty well for me on my trip to Europe last summer.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
MacroGuru
Coordinator

One tip to help out is to drink plenty of water...more than you usually do..it always helps me out with mine.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I never really had a problem going to Europe, it was always the trip back to the US that killed me.

I would just drink as much coffee as possible to make it through the first day, then crash early that night, and hope to sleep through the night.

I always found coming back from Europe to be so much easier than going there.

I used to fly back to Europe on Sunday night, arrive Monday, and then go to work. I just tried to sleep as much as possible on the flight. I ate dinner before hand and took Tylenole PM to help. I never slept all that long or well, but it was enough. Then, like Cartman, it was just coffee, coffee, coffee until I could get to bed early that night.

Going the other way, I never really had an issue. Maybe an afternoon coffee to keep me going, but that's about it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Yeah, I think the key is just fighting through day one and then going to sleep at a time where you know you can sleep until morning. It worked pretty well for me on my trip to Europe last summer.

Thats exactly it. I used to travel 3-4 weeks per month all over the country. You just need to force yourself to stay up until normal bedtime the first night.

Whatever you do don't go near your bed, you WILL pass out. I used to go to the gym, a late dinner, then surf the net for a while, take a shower, or even a bath, rub one out, maybe play a game or something. If you can make it until about 10:30 local time then pass out, sleep untill 6:00 AM you'll be ok.

There is also some scientific studies that Melatonin helps.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

rub one out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

play a game

Yeah like...hmm...idk...what game could you possibly play Marc? EA's FIFA Manager 09?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
Critch
lolzcat

I read that not eating on the plane, then having a local time appropriate meal as soon as you arrive supposedly works. A bit late for you now, I guess.

Personally I never have much of a problem with the 5 hours difference when I cross the Atlantic, so I guess you're just a bit of a woman.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

An Army doctor at my church said to take an Ambien the first night to make sure you won't wake up in the middle of the night. Worked very well for me to get on China time.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Fists with your toes.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
rowech
Pro Starter

Not so much jet lag but I get awful headaches when descending. Any advice on that?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #12
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Not so much jet lag but I get awful headaches when descending. Any advice on that?

Stop parachuting head-first.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
PLD3009
n00b

Okay turning it round, how about flying to the States from the UK.

What would you recommend, flying out next week, got to hit the ground running Tuesday morning!!
PLD3009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
Galaxy
Coordinator

Do you guys usually overnight it from the US to Europe (landing in Europe sometime in the AM)?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Do you guys usually overnight it from the US to Europe (landing in Europe sometime in the AM)?

I know that's how I traveled from LA to Green Bay when I was job hunting, but that's a two hour difference, not eight.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #16
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

I tried to get in on the afternoon before any meetings, but often times wasn't able to. One of the worst ones I had was a full day of meetings in San Fran, then took the overnight to London, landing at 6:30am. Had a 9am meeting that went to 11am, then flew to Munich where we had a 4pm to 6pm meeting, followed by a visit to a biergarten that lasted until 11pm. I was beat at the end of that day.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #17
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Does jetleg have no effect on some people. I took the flight to South Korea and back but outside of feeling a little tired the first night/day back experienced no ill effects?
Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #18
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

That's how most international flights work. If you're going to London, you may find some same day flights from the east coast, but if you're flying to mainland Europe most flights leave in the afternoon/evening in the US and arrive in the morning in Europe.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #19
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity View Post
Does jetleg have no effect on some people. I took the flight to South Korea and back but outside of feeling a little tired the first night/day back experienced no ill effects?

I tend to handle it pretty well. I've only flow between US and Europe though. The first day is a bit of a struggle, but after that I tend to adjust pretty well.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #20
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD3009 View Post
Okay turning it round, how about flying to the States from the UK.

What would you recommend, flying out next week, got to hit the ground running Tuesday morning!!

who the hell are you? I recommend you tell us that first!

kidding!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i really have no idea though. i've only gone from UK-to-US once, and I don't recall the time of day. Plus I'm very little help because I have horrible sleep habits anyways.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #22
cartman
Death Herald

It's 10:30PM over there Marc, you'd better be asleep by now!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:47 AM   #23
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Last week, I had to shift my body from day shift to night shift over the course of 1 day (woke up Wednesday at 5, got home at 3, slept til 8, stayed up as late as I could, slept, then started night shift on Thursday). I heartily recommend melatonin, you take it about 30 minutes before you want to sleep. Caffeine has also been my friend during my waking times, I'm fairly well-adjusted right now, all things considered..

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #24
finketr
College Prospect

Well, the obvious answer is don't travel.

For me, going to/from Singapore (24h travel, +12h time difference) wasn't a problem. Going to Europe isn't much of a problem, just stay awake until at least 9 or 10pm and get a good night's sleep.

My trip to Japan was horrible and i didn't sleep a full night until...the morning I left to come back to the US. That was a bitch.
--tim
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote