Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2003, 12:57 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Thumbs up Kodos' EA topic of the day - New Madden info

From IGN boards.

Here's what some guy posted at IGN.

Edit. Some people are reporting that his post isn't entirely accurate... Read at your own risk!

I found it on the Gamefaqs board, and this guy got it from Maddenmania. I'm pretty sure it's real information. It's up to you whether you want to believe it or not.

Review - Gameplay

The first thing you will notice is the speed of the play. This year's Madden is so much faster than last year. It's not unrealistic, it just makes you react quicker. If you don't, you're gonna get run over and beaten up.

The next thing you'll notice is playmaker at the line of scrimmage. Now, I'm a fan of the little things, and one of the ebst little things in the game this year is the hip tap by the QB when you change the play at the line of scrimmage. It's subtle, but it looks so cool.

DB Ai is vastly improved. No longer can you go deep everytime with an avg. qb and avg. wr's. If you play a tough secondary, you better hope you have a good ground game, because if they know you're gonna pass eveytime, you better be prepared for a lot of knockdowns and picks. I don't know what kind of route it is, but I think it's called a slant. When a WR runs straight, then turns about 45 degress towards the sidelines and catches the ball over his shoulder. This type of pass is very difficult to pull off, because the cb's will wait until the ball gets there, and knock it down or pick it off all the time. When you throw the ball deep, no longer do they not notice, they follow the ball and go for it just like a wr would do. The coolest thing about this is to watch the cb and wr watch the ball.

Computer running was non-existant last year. Now if you play a team like the Dolphins, who rely heavily on the run, they will run it down your throat. The same goes for Micheal Vick. If you don't have atleast one player watching him at all times, he'll take off the second you have his wr's covered.

The playbooks this year are actually designed for each team. Each team will have a play called, for example, Jets Power or Jets Cover 2. These plays are specific for the team that you use. And only your team will use them. It's pretty cool. The bucs use heir actual defense, which makes it very hard to play against. Whereas the Raiders and Rams always find ways to involve their recievers in almost every offensive play.

The Review - New Animations

These are a collection of animations that I have noticed that I feel are new and cool...

"The Push" - When an offensive player is running along the sidelines and the defensive player is running beside him, the defensive player will shove him hard in the shoulder pads, causing the offensive player to fall hard on his back.

"The Hit!" - When returning a kick, I ran up the middle, behind my wedge return, and through a crowd of guys, when from out aof no where, a New Orleans Saint leveled me. It was like he jumped, and hit me chest to chest, sending us both crashing through the air.

"Dispointment" - This may be my favourite. I threw a bad pass to Moss when he wasn't looking, then he came towards Pennington shrugging his shoulders and shaking his head at him.

"The Dive" - On the goaline, 2nd and Goal, and Curtis Martin runs towards the pile of bodies at the line. I press dive to try and go through them like i did in 2003, but instead, he leaps right over top of all of them! I couldn't believe it.

"Tag-Team" - I was running with Martin, and a defensive player grabbed my legs, but couldn't quite take me down, so as I'm trying to run, and almost got a away, a defensive player came and drilled me from behind, sending me crashing to the ground.

Now, any of those might have been in last year's version, I'm not sure, but if they were, I didnt see them

The Review - Relocation

Okay, we simmed 8 seasons now (boy, its a lot if you thin about it). I am now going to give you everything I have found out about Relocation factor of the game.

When you first try and relocate, you are given a list of cities that are interested in having your team. You must then look at their stats (fan support, population) and then you pick the one you like the best. You have to make a bid which consists of how much you will give the city towards the renovation.

This is what we think, because we tried it wth a few teams, and this is what we found. The city also looks at how good your team is. We tried to relocate Carolina, but cities weren't really into it that much. But we tried to relocate Tampa, and there were atleast 10 cities that would love for us to come there. Now, back to the franchise.

When you put together your bid, you get to build the stadium (this is to determine the cost of it). You select everything in the stadium(this is one of the coolest features, it totally surpassed my expectations). We were relocating to Brooklyn, so they suggested we put in Field turf, because natural grass would last through the cold months. Also, we got a retractable roof (that was pricy) and also had a bunch of luxury boxes. You select where the ticket windows are, and even where the vendors will be. EA really outdid itself with this feature.

Next, you get to select your uniforms. This is much more in depth than the previous uniform editor. It gives you a couple of styles of jerseys to choose from, which all look pretty cool. You select colors and your logo. A cool thing is your alt. unis. This really adds to the game, and really makes you feel like you made a real team IMO.

Next, you get to see what type of specialty food comes from that city (each team has a neat kind of food that is unique to that stadium. Well guess what? Each city you can relocate to has their own too!)

Then they ask you for prices you want to charge for seating and food.

Then you put in your bid. If they accept, you get to move in in two years. If they denie you, you cannot put another relocation bid for 2 more years.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-31-2003 at 06:30 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:12 PM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

Pinging SkyDog - Can you change the title under Kodos' handle from "Resident Alien" to "EA Whore"?

Last edited by Franklinnoble : 07-31-2003 at 01:12 PM.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:34 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

Looks like your wish has been granted. I think this means I get a raise!

Edit: Hey, it was there a second ago...

Last edited by Kodos : 07-31-2003 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:55 PM   #4
Franklinnoble
Banned

Maybe the term "whore" was deemed too objectionable?

Perhaps "EA Concubine" would be more appropriate?
Old 07-31-2003, 02:11 PM   #5
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

How about EA cocksucker?

Is that objectionable too?

Edit: Better add this:
So Kodos knows I am just fooling with him.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 07-31-2003 at 02:11 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:59 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

You want me to do what with you, Marmel?

Not with a Sega fan!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:06 PM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am one of Kodos' EA Minions.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:13 PM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

Finish 'em, DeTox! It's in the Game!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:22 PM   #9
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Finish 'em, DeTox! It's in the Game!

I didn't know Mortal Kombat was an EA game...
Old 07-31-2003, 03:26 PM   #10
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I think Jim worked on this game.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:34 PM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

When people see Kodos and I, Marmel thinks to himself..

"He better watch out, 'cause they were comin'!"
Old 07-31-2003, 03:56 PM   #12
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Must be that time of year. Time for the "This year's version of {insert EA Sports title} is finally the one that has realistic game play! OK, we know we said that last year and it took everyone about three minutes to figure out that it wasn't true, but this year we really, really mean it!" articles to start rolling in.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 04:31 PM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
Must be that time of year. Time for the "This year's version of {insert EA Sports title} is finally the one that has realistic game play! OK, we know we said that last year and it took everyone about three minutes to figure out that it wasn't true, but this year we really, really mean it!" articles to start rolling in.

I can feel your hate. Use your light saber. Strike me down. And your journey to the Dark Side will be complete!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:44 PM   #14
korme
Go Reds

thank god the leap is back... why ever did they remove the goalline leap?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 04:55 PM   #15
tucker342
Pro Starter

No kidding! It would piss me off so much when I would try to leap into the End Zone, and instead they would do a normal dive... It's about time they put that animation back into it...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 04:57 PM   #16
tucker342
Pro Starter

[cough] EA Whore [/cough]
Old 07-31-2003, 05:23 PM   #17
sony
High School JV

All this information from the Maddenmania board was partially madeup, and partially stolen from the Maddennation board.

The guy claimed to have the game and was answering questions for the entire board, when in the end, he was only posing.

Right now, Maddenmania and Maddennation don't really like each other. Maddenmania posted some made up phony letter in their forum claiming that Maddennation had a stolen copy of Madden 2004.

How low can you go when you have to make up a fake letter that was suposedly sent from EA?
sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:31 PM   #18
Kodos
Resident Alien

Huh. That's interesting. I knew a lot of Sega fans hate Madden, but who knew that there would be such a division amongst Madden fans?

People sure find a lot of things to be upset about.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:32 PM   #19
DeToxRox
Head Coach

All you people who rip on Madden..

Go play your franchise mode's as Terrell Owens catches 170 passes, Derrick Brooks has 250 tackles and the Bengals make the playoffs.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:42 PM   #20
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

EA is my pimp
Old 07-31-2003, 07:54 PM   #21
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Madden has the history..

.. What's Sega's history with football games?

(Excluding Prime Time Football.. Bad Ass)
Old 07-31-2003, 07:56 PM   #22
tucker342
Pro Starter

I think we are all EA's whores a little bit, Kodos is just more so than others