Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-24-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Lightbulb Baseball Deadline Deals Thread

Rather than hunt for 10-15 different threads announcing trades, discussing the pros/cons of trades, or reporting rumors, I thought maybe one thread might be more useful.

So, with that in mind, here a couple of rumors from Rotoworld.com, which is still the best free source of roto and non-roto sports news in one place that I've found:

"The Seattle Post-Intelligencer cites a report out of Pittsburgh that says Brian Giles has used his limited no-trade clause to veto deals to the Mariners and A's.

Giles' contract allows him to refuse a trade to any team except Los Angeles, San Diego, Arizona, San Francisco, Colorado or Atlanta. The Padres are still looking like the leaders. The Pirates are said to be insisting that any team taking Giles must also take Jason Kendall's salary. The Padres aren't looking to add that much to their payroll, but they could use a catcher."

----------

"Infielder Bobby Hill, reliever Francis Beltran and starter Steve Smyth are reportedly among the players the Pirates will be able to choose from to complete that Aramis Ramirez-Kenny Lofton deal.

Considering their need for help at second and third, Hill should be the obvious choice for the Pirates. However, Beltran is one of the top relief prospects in the minors, and GM Dave Littlefield seems to have a strong preference for pitching over offense."

----------

"The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says that the Pirates would have preferred to part ways with Kris Benson instead of Aramis Ramirez.

Had Benson not mentioned that he felt some ''discomfort'' in his right shoulder a few days ago and missed his turn to pitch Tuesday night, he -- not Ramirez -- would have been traded to help the Pirates ease a financial crunch that involves debt payments. The Pirates have trimmed the requisite amount of payroll to comply with MLB's 60/40 ratio of earnings to debt, so if they go ahead and part with Brian Giles and Jason Kendall it won't be because they have to."

----------

"The Orioles say they are likely to not make any trades before the July 31 deadline.

The O's still haven't received a counter-proposal from Sidney Ponson's agent, but even if they can't get Ponson signed to an extension, they seem content to let him go in free agency after the season for compensatory draft picks rather than trading him for less than a top prospect (such as Atlanta's Johnny Estrada)."

----------

"The Baltimore Sun reports the Cardinals had a representative at last night's game scouting Rick Helling.

The Cardinals have varying degrees of interest in Helling, Jason Johnson, Pat Hentgen, and Sidney Ponson."

----------

"The Cardinals have backed out of the rumored Steve Kline-for-Sterling Hitchcock deal, but remain interested in Hitchcock.

Interesting. The only reason the Cardinals are still bothering with Hitchcock is their desperation for a starter, and yet they now want to pay less for him."

----------

"Brian Anderson limited the Tigers to one run in seven innings tonight to improve his record to 8-7.

Anderson is very much available in trade talks. If the Cardinals can't land Kelvim Escobar or Cory Lidle, Anderson might be an inexpensive alternative."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:16 PM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Time to bump.

These trades (or rumors of completed or about-to-be completed trades) are being "reported" on Rotoworld.com - I assume as they are being discussed on ESPN right now:

ESPN's Peter Gammons is confirming that Freddy Sanchez and Mike Gonzalez will be traded to Pittsburgh for Jeff Suppan, Brandon Lyon and Anastacio Martinez.

Lyon, Gonzalez and Martinez are all returning to their original teams after being included in the Scott Sauerbeck deal.

-----------

ESPN's Peter Gammons believes that Robin Ventura will be traded to the Dodgers after the Yankees acquire Aaron Boone.

Ventura should clear waivers, so there's no hurry to get the deal completed.

-----------

ESPN's Jayson Stark expects Reggie Sanders to be traded to the Royals.

Sanders would take playing time away from Aaron Guiel and Michael Tucker if acquired.

----------

ESPN's Peter Gammons is reporting that Aaron Boone will still go to the Yankees for Brandon Claussen and cash.

Gabe White won't be involved initially, but he's likely to go to the Yankees once healthy.

----------

GM Kevin Towers says the Padres intend to keep Rondell White for the rest of the season, and pursue players such as Brian Giles in the offseason when their shopping power has increased.

The Marlins had been a player for White, while the Padres have been rumored for days to be in negotiations for Giles and other from Pittsburgh. ''It's a low probability that we'll make any trades (today),'' Towers said.

----------

The Giants, according to one source, are more likely to acquire Baltimore’s Jason Johnson than any other starter.

The Giants remain interested in Sidney Ponson and Freddy Garcia, but don’t want to give up third baseman Pedro Feliz to either the Mariners or Orioles.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:29 PM   #3
mckerney
Coordinator

Reds trade Boone to Yankees.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:38 PM   #4
henry296
College Starter

It looks like the Pirates and Red Sox were able to agree to fix the earlier trade because of Lyon's injured elbow. That seems good, as I here good things about Freddy Sanchez.

Todd
Old 07-31-2003, 02:53 PM   #5
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
And it's looking like the Jays might not trade away Lidle or Escobar.

Although I have heard that the Jays hope to resign Escobar now. So that might be okay...

Last edited by chrisj : 07-31-2003 at 02:54 PM.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:04 PM   #6
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

According to Toronto papers, the Jays have no desire to have either Escobar or Lidle back next year. They're also unlikely to do the old "let them go FA to get draft picks" ploy, since they'd have to offer them arbitration first and they're afraid they'd accept it.

However, apparently they would be willing to let either go on waivers, so that may explain why there doesn't seem to be a deal for either one happening today.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:20 PM   #7
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Baseball Tonight has gotta be the best "news" show on ESPN. The stuff they say is always interesting and I could watch them for hours (which I am right now ).
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:37 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ponson is a Giant.

Ponson for Kurt Ainsworth, Damien Moss and a future consideration I believe it turned out to be.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:42 PM   #9
Swaggs
Coordinator

I sure hope Freddy Sanchez is worth Scott Sauerbeck and Jeff Suppan.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:43 PM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... the Red Sox have added: Jeff Suppan, Byung-Hyun Kim, Todd Jones, Scott Sauerbeck and Scott Williamson in the last two months! Theo Epstein has been amazing this year for them!

They look very dangerous right now.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:44 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I sure hope Freddy Sanchez is worth Scott Sauerbeck and Jeff Suppan.

He may be. Sanchez was one of the big prospects in the Red Sox organization. He may turn out to be better than Aramis in the long run.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:56 PM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ponson for Kurt Ainsworth, Damien Moss and a future consideration I believe it turned out to be.

Is it just me... or was this just a biiiit too much to give up for Ponson? Wasn't Ainsworth a big time pitching prospect?
Old 07-31-2003, 04:02 PM   #13
mrskippy
Banned

Ainsworth is out for the season. And given it's a shoulder injury, who knows what that means in the future.

Moss I don't think turned to be the stud Giants expected.

So really in terms of this season, it's a Moss for Ponson deal. Not a bad deal in my book.

Giants are in good shape to win the West with ease. I think it'll be Braves-Giants in the LCS.

And if I'm lucky A's-Giants in the WS. We're due for an earthquake.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 04:06 PM   #14
clintl
College Starter

Moss for Ponson would be a steal.

But for the long run, this only makes sense if the Giants think Ainsworth's shoulder injury makes it unlikely he'll fulfill his potential. This is the first good season Ponson has ever had, and while I think it will make the Giants' chances better this season, I think it could hurt them later.

They wouldn't have had to make this deal if they had just kept Russ Ortiz. Moss was a waste.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 04:07 PM   #15
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
According to Toronto papers, the Jays have no desire to have either Escobar or Lidle back next year. They're also unlikely to do the old "let them go FA to get draft picks" ploy, since they'd have to offer them arbitration first and they're afraid they'd accept it.

Are you sure? I know they have no plans to bring Lidle back, but as I said, Escobar may return:

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030731/mlb_tor2-sun.html

From the Toronto Sun:

"Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi was travelling down that route yesterday when he said that "unless somebody comes and knocks our socks off and it hasn't happened yet" a trade looks unlikely.

He said that may mean the Jays may explore the possibility of signing Escobar, who is eligible for free agency at the end of the season, for 2004 and beyond.

--snip--

Escobar is unique in that regard as the Jays have no interest in bringing back any of their other tradable commodities such as right-hander Cory Lidle or catcher Greg Myers. They won't be back one way or the other. "

Last edited by chrisj : 07-31-2003 at 04:07 PM.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 04:09 PM   #16
Samdari
Roster Filler

Ainsworth AND Boone were on my NL only keeper roto league.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:12 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

FWIW ...

re: Giants/O's -- There are some sources who will say quietly that the Braves gave up on Moss because he was the worst headcase in the organization & that included questions about his work ethic. Perhaps that plays into the Giants willingness to deal him as well.

re: Braves -- While it's possible that a deadline deal is completed and just hasn't been announced yet, the lack of action by Atlanta has to be a concern. The bullpen, in simplest terms, stinks beyond Smoltz. The league has caught up to Hodges, King has been weak, Hernandez has been worse and Marquis just isn't an MLB reliever at this point. So is Schuerholz gambling on a post-waiver deal or is he really willing to risk the season (or post-season) with this motley crew?
Old 07-31-2003, 04:21 PM   #18
clintl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
FWIW ...

re: Giants/O's -- There are some sources who will say quietly that the Braves gave up on Moss because he was the worst headcase in the organization & that included questions about his work ethic. Perhaps that plays into the Giants willingness to deal him as well.

That, and Moss not having the ability to throw the ball over the plate with the Giants. Russ Ortiz throws hard enough to get away with walks; Moss doesn't.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 04:33 PM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But for the long run, this only makes sense if the Giants think Ainsworth's shoulder injury makes it unlikely he'll fulfill his potential. This is the first good season Ponson has ever had, and while I think it will make the Giants' chances better this season, I think it could hurt them later.

My thoughts exactly. I think this deal might hurt the Giants in the future because Ainsworth may be as good as advertised after the shoulder gets better.

But Ponson is now in a pitchers' park... maybe those numbers will go down .
Old 07-31-2003, 04:56 PM   #20
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I cannot believe the Mariners haven't made a move (aside from Rey Sanchez filling in for the injured Carlos Guillen). No Rondell White? No Reggie Sanders? No Aaron Boone? No J.D. Drew? Nothing?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:00 PM   #21
tucker342
Pro Starter

Big mistake by the Mariners, they should've made a move....
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:04 PM   #22
QuikSand
lolzcat

I love the deal for the Orioles... if they end up with a healthy Ainsworth down the road, this was a huge steal for them. Very much worth the risk, I think.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:22 PM   #23
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA

re: Braves -- While it's possible that a deadline deal is completed and just hasn't been announced yet, the lack of action by Atlanta has to be a concern. The bullpen, in simplest terms, stinks beyond Smoltz. The league has caught up to Hodges, King has been weak, Hernandez has been worse and Marquis just isn't an MLB reliever at this point. So is Schuerholz gambling on a post-waiver deal or is he really willing to risk the season (or post-season) with this motley crew?

I think the signal is clear. AOL will keep the Braves from the WS this year, and unless someone comes in and buys the team, the dismantling process will begin next year.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote