Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Knicks vs. Starbury

From ESPN.com:

Stephon Marbury said the Boston Celtics have expressed a firm commitment to sign the exiled New York Knicks point guard who hasn't played since last April, according to Monday's editions of the New York Post.

--------------

If this is true, can't the Knicks look into improper contact with a player under contract and tampering, receiving compensation from the Celtics? If I was Walsh, my stance would be that Marbury is under contract to the NY Knicks, and if he would like to sign with another team he could pay the team his full salary today, but otherwise he is under contract and if another team wants him they can talk trade.

EDIT: ANd if I was Dantoni, I'd play Marbury 48 minutes/night. You want to cry? Enjoy your minutes...

Last edited by M GO BLUE!!! : 01-26-2009 at 11:26 AM.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

In a league where it's completely okay to trade a player with the understanding that said player would be released, and then available to sign back with your team...I don't see this going very far.

As a Knick fan, I'd rather he rot on the bench than receive what meager compensation would come from a trade.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

a sound strategy would be for the knicks to facilitate moving marbury to boston

heck, even pay the c's to take him and then sit and enjoy
Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Anthony
Banned

the best strategy would be (if i were the GM) to present Marbury with 2 options:

1. offer back a considerable (ie, $5million -10million) portion of his salary and be bought out now.

or

2. agree to his offer to give back $1million and the Knicks will make him wait until after the middle of February which would make him ineligible for the postseason and significantly less attractive to interested teams.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

word from the Celtics is that there is in fact no agreement. they've had discussions, that's all
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
bhlloy
Coordinator

Am I the only one that thinks it is completely batshit crazy that the Celtics are even willing to entertain this thought? They are a very good team, with excellent chemistry, a lot of guys who need their shots and a young point guard just starting to come into his own who could be a star.

Sounds like a selfish, team cancer, shoot first, old, has been point guard is just what they need

Last edited by bhlloy : 01-26-2009 at 09:28 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
word from the Celtics is that there is in fact no agreement. they've had discussions, that's all

Isn't that still tampering?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Isn't that still tampering?

Not if the Knicks gave Starbury permission to talk w/ other teams, which I believe they did.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
Groundhog
Coordinator

To be fair, he couldn't be more erratic off the bench then Old Man Cassell was last season in the playoffs, surely?

I still think KG will end up killing him before their first practice scrimmage together has finished.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Am I the only one that thinks it is completely batshit crazy that the Celtics are even willing to entertain this thought? They are a very good team, with excellent chemistry, a lot of guys who need their shots and a young point guard just starting to come into his own who could be a star.

Sounds like a selfish, team cancer, shoot first, old, has been point guard is just what they need

nope i agree. it's a shitty, horrible idea.

my brother went to a game with some friends a couple weeks back (they have floor seats) - i told him if he saw danny ainge he was to scream at him not to sign marbury
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote