I tried it once as a teen, and that was it. 37 22.16%
Never has doth nicotine disgraced these lips. 68 40.72%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2007, 09:54 PM   #101
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
While I have no desire to witness you urinate, I do feel that if sabotai chose to open a facilitty and his whole premise was a place to open and freely urinate that should be his right.

Hence why cigar bars are allowed to exist in smoke-free New Jersey .
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:13 PM   #102
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
All things aside, I think this thread proves that smell is the most underrated sense of all.

And I have no sense of smell....
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:20 PM   #103
Subby
lolzcat

NoMyths is without internet access at the moment but he wanted me to assure everyone..."just pole."
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:30 PM   #104
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

*lights ciggy*

*deep drag*

Can't we all just get along?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:38 AM   #105
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I can legally walk around naked in my home. In fact, I often do!

For the first time in my life, I think I need a cigarette.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 AM   #106
JeeberD
General Manager

Several years ago I went through a phase for about a month where I would smoke when I was out drinking with my coworkers. I got a wicked buzz of the cigs, but the fact that the taste lingered over to the next day killed it for me.

Thank goodness.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #107
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
While it's certainly hard to defend smoking as a lifestyle choice, I'd like to see how a thread with such open and direct scorn for obesity would fly.

Show some self respect, fucking fatties.

The difference is that smoking affects the health of everyone around you, while being a fat ass does not (unless you are on an airline and sit next to one ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:27 AM   #108
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Is it? Everybody sitting in their idling cars at Jack in the Box waiting for their next 1000 calorie happy meal are unnecessarily poisining in the air, aren't they? Simply driving anywhere to do anything (directly food related or not) with 2 300-pound people in the car is going to take more gas and therefore cause more pollution than if those people were half the size.

Regardless of the pollution aspects, a 2 ton piece of steel driving down the road at 50 mph is a thousand times the threat of second-hand smoke to you and your family, and someone who is obese is unlikely to walk or bike anywhere.

Call me a fool, but I would argue that the environmental footprint left by the obese poses far more of a threat than that of second hand smoke.

It is a smoker bash because smoking is a disgusting habit. I should know, I smoked for 10 years before quitting in 2004. It is vile and unhealthy. Before you ridicule us for bashing smokers, think about what a lung looks like after someone has smoked for a long period of time. Have you ever seen a black lung? There is no way in hell anybody can ever justify that smoking is not as bad as obesity or that it is not unhealthy. You may not be a smoker, but your arguments are not valid because we are bashing the ACT of smoking, not the PEOPLE that are doing the smoking. Let's not get all bent out of shape, as ultimately I believe we are all on the same side.

Quote:
Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #109
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Interesting. So the millions of deaths each year from lung cancer are, in fact, not related to smoking cigarettes? Considering my grandfather died from it, I would have to seriously question your reasoning behind that statement.

Ok lets put it this way - it isn't possible to isolate the cause of Lung Cancer when its found.

As such I'd expect that while cigarettes are a contributing factor the overall environment (especially fumes from cars and heavy industry) are involved to a fair extent.

As I mentioned if in England in 20 years time lung cancer has largely been erradicated I'll quite happily eat my hat - but I doubt that'll be the case.

Quote:
Hmmm. Did you ever consider that maybe your immune system was considerably down because of your previous smoking habit? It takes quite a while for your lungs and body to recover from the tar that is inside you after smoking. Trust me, I smoked for 10 years before quitting in 2004. I have never felt better and have no desire to ever get near the stuff again.

That does make sense surely? - while smoking I never had any such problems but as soon as I give up I do.

That doesn't indicate to me that my immune system was 'considerably down' - it indicates that smoking was propping me up or that the removal of cigarettes has weakened my resistance for some reason.

A few of my friends who have also given up have had similar things happen which is why I mentioned it ...

(and personally I feel no better or worse for having given up, slightly fatter is all )
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #110
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
That doesn't indicate to me that my immune system was 'considerably down' - it indicates that smoking was propping me up or that the removal of cigarettes has weakened my resistance for some reason.

Wow.

"Nurse! This man's immune system is failing. Get him some cigarettes-STAT!"

Last edited by Kodos : 12-19-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #111
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
It is a smoker bash because smoking is a disgusting habit. I should know, I smoked for 10 years before quitting in 2004. It is vile and unhealthy. Before you ridicule us for bashing smokers, think about what a lung looks like after someone has smoked for a long period of time. Have you ever seen a black lung? There is no way in hell anybody can ever justify that smoking is not as bad as obesity or that it is not unhealthy. You may not be a smoker, but your arguments are not valid because we are bashing the ACT of smoking, not the PEOPLE that are doing the smoking. Let's not get all bent out of shape, as ultimately I believe we are all on the same side.

If you wonder where my cynicism comes from its the fact that groups promoting such things often exaggerate the danger involved in incidents, for instance "Chernobyl's 'nuclear nightmares'" where Green groups predicted 100,000+ deaths from it ... however the reality in the 20 years since hasn't been so extreme.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5173310.stm

Its this sort of over-estimate I'm expecting from smoking, yes its bad for you - no one is arguing it isn't ... but I don't think its the be all and end all cause of lung cancer.

It IS however a great distraction for people from the other potential causes of lung cancer which would be much harder for goverments to do something about (ie. Heavy industry, Cars etc.).
Old 12-19-2007, 10:16 AM   #112
Kodos
Resident Alien

"I'm afraid that the only thing that can save this man now is cigarettes."
Old 12-19-2007, 10:19 AM   #113
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Wow.

"Nurse! This man's immune system is failing. Get him some cigarettes-STAT!"

LOL

I know what you mean, but I put it down to my body being used to smoking and the smoke fumes actively keeping away some of the more harmful bacteria (hey we know smoking is bad for you - why can it be bad for germs also? ).

As I've mentioned elsewhere I don't think smoking is in anyway 'good' for you - but I found it interesting that myself and several others have found this effect upon giving up.

I was wondering more than anything if it was an accidental by-product of smoking (ie. killing some germs which might otherwise get you to) or a little mentioned form of addiction (ie. making your bodies immune system fail to encourage you to continue smoking).

(and yeah I probably haven't explained my thought processes in the best manner possible - in my defense I did completed 20 hour work shift getting a deadline completed yesterday so I'm still recovering)
Old 12-19-2007, 10:20 AM   #114
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
"I'm afraid that the only thing that can save this man now is cigarettes."

Oh and can someone ask the 'stop smoking' manufacturers to stop advertising on TV, whenever I see those adverts I crave cigarettes like mad ...
Old 12-19-2007, 10:21 AM   #115
Kodos
Resident Alien

"I thought they had Vitamin C in 'em and stuff."
Old 12-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #116
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

*drags deep*

Ciggies are bad for you. No argument about that.

*exhale*

It takes a lot to quit.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:49 AM   #117
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Out of interest one of the reasons I believe in Air Pollution being a large factor is studies like this:

http://www.ehponline.org/members/199...inki-full.html
Cancer Risk of Air Pollution: Epidemiological EvidenceIn most of the studies, urban and rural differences in lung cancer rates were more .... in lung cancer up to 1.5 times that of the countryside residents. ...
Old 12-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #118
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Let's not get all bent out of shape, as ultimately I believe we are all on the same side.

they're so cute when they are new.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #119
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My parents both smoked heavily when I was growing up. They both quit about 5 years ago after 30+ years of smoking. I never had the urge to take up cigarettes. I do light up a cigar two or three times a year, but that's about it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #120
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Typical attitude from an asshole smoker.

While I may be an asshole, Im not a smoker. Next time take a moment to actaully read the post youre referrring to with ^, you smug little prick.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #121
Izulde
Head Coach

Because of this thread, I got the mood for a cigarette and broke down and bought a pack today.

Nasty brand, though, so I'm giving them away to the first more regular smoker I see.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #122
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

*lights another cig*

*deep drag*

That's too bad, Izulde. It's hard to stay quit.

*exhale*
Old 12-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #123
lungs
Pro Rookie

If I can't smoke and swear, I'm fucked.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:21 PM   #124
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
While I may be an asshole, Im not a smoker. Next time take a moment to actaully read the post youre referrring to with ^, you smug little prick.

The fact that you don't smoke is irrelavant.

Your post captured the true spirit of an asshole smoker AND showed what an asshole you are.

I may be smug but at least I don't think I have the right to infringe my nasty habit on other people.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:22 PM   #125
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Great post.

Personally, I gave up cigs about 3 years ago. I never tried to quit, or quit because thats not how I believe its done. I just dont smoke anymore, that doesnt mean that it wont happen tomorrow or next week. If I want a cigarrette then I will buy a pack and smoke them. Its a simple choice like buying a dr. pepper or a candy bar.

This whole bull$hit mulit million dollar quit smoking gum/-patch/shot/lozenge/inhaler/pill crap is waaaaay outta hand.

I never ONCE tried to stop smoking. I enjoyed smoking, very, very, very much. I liked the feeling it gave me, I liked the nicotine, I liked the smell of the tobacco. I even liked the disconcerning looks from the nonsmokers who didnt want their clothes and hair to smell like tobacco. Fuck em. Go to another bar. Catch a second hand buzz or fukk off.

My personal smoking triumph came when I put down 4 packs of Marlboro reds down in 24 hours. I was a chimney incarnate. Puffing and puffing to no end. During the last pack I was on the clock and wasnt allowed more than a minute of 'non-smoking' time between cigarettes, or I wouldnt have finished that fourth pack. Been there, done that.

Never quit something until the time comes that you want to. You have to want it. People have stopped being accountable for their actions, and its bullshit.

But by all means....

Do what you want to, when you want to.

nice attitude, who's the smug one?

Last edited by Lathum : 12-19-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 PM   #126
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
they're so cute when they are new.

I am just trying to fit in and become part of the crowd before my true colors shine through.....

Quote:
Old 12-19-2007, 10:00 PM   #127
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
If I can't smoke and swear, I'm fucked.

Not to mention cranky as hell to be so screwed over and not have any nicotine to take the edge off
Old 12-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #128
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Agreed. The sad thing is, those are the people that will live until they are 90, and then say "see, I told you smoking wasn't bad for you!". In fact, it IS bad for you, just some people get lucky.

irony rules the world
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:57 AM   #129
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Not to mention cranky as hell to be so screwed over and not have any nicotine to take the edge off

Dude, if you're as cranky as you can be smoking 2-3 packs a day, I'd be terrified to see you if you didn't have any nicotine to take the edge off. You'd probably just explode, or, more likely, inplode with such fury that you'd create a black hole of rage that'd swallow the universe.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #130
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Dude, if you're as cranky as you can be smoking 2-3 packs a day, I'd be terrified to see you if you didn't have any nicotine to take the edge off. You'd probably just explode, or, more likely, inplode with such fury that you'd create a black hole of rage that'd swallow the universe.

Heh.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #131
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ironic that some of our angriest posters regularly employ the soothing effects of smoking.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:54 AM   #132
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Agreed. The sad thing is, those are the people that will live until they are 90, and then say "see, I told you smoking wasn't bad for you!". In fact, it IS bad for you, just some people get lucky.

There's the story of my great-grandfather, who smoked two packs of Camel unfiltereds everyday. He eventually died at the age of 94 in an accident at the lumberyard where he worked everyday.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #133
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
There's the story of my great-grandfather, who smoked two packs of Camel unfiltereds everyday. He eventually died at the age of 94 in an accident at the lumberyard where he worked everyday.

Yep. That is the way of things. My step-mother's mother smoked until she was in her late 80's, she eventually died of dimentia at the ripe old age of 93. On the other hand, my grandfather died on my 18th birthday at the age of 69....from cancer, and he hadn't smoked in 20 years prior to that. I would take my chances with not smoking any day over smoking and "hoping for the best". I wish I never started in the first place, but I am glad that I quit 3 years ago to be sure.

By the way, I understand that people of your great-grandfather's generation were hard workers, but why the hell was he in a lumberyard at 94? Seriously, just like I tell my 84 year old grandmother, take a friggin' break already!!!!

Quote:

Last edited by RomaGoth : 12-20-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:33 PM   #134
Izulde
Head Coach

Ahh, the joys of cloves. Sweet, sweet Djarum bliss, how I've missed you!

BTW, it's damn hard to find smokes in Wisconsin these last few days because those asshats in Madison are putting $1 a pack more sales tax starting January 1st, so people have been buying up like crazy to stock up while they're still cheaper...

....Of course, that doesn't stop some merchants adding a $1 a pack on NOW to rake in some quick profit.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:53 PM   #135
Schmidty
Coordinator

Does anyone else read this thread's title with a french accent?
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #136
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Bump, due to the awesome Flintstone's commercial posted by BrassMonkey.

Only about 20% of FOFC'ers smoke according to the poll. We are a dying breed.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 01-14-2009 at 10:35 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #137
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
Bump, due to the awesome Flintstone's commercial posted by BrassMonkey.

Only about 20% of FOFC'ers smoke according to the poll. We are a dying breed.

Don't worry, you'll all die soon enough.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #138
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

I realize cigarettes aren't a very healthy choice, but personally I enjoy the heck out of them, especially with a drink. Alcohol and Cigarettes = A match made in heaven.

FTR, I had a Grandmother that passed a few years back in her 90's. In her later years she was still puffing away, a couple of packs a day, and in her words had been doing so for the past 70 years. Her passing was due to natural causes.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #139
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
I realize cigarettes aren't a very healthy choice, but personally I enjoy the heck out of them, especially with a drink. Alcohol and Cigarettes = A match made in heaven.

Oh, you said it.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #140
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Oh, you said it.

*lights up*

Man, I wish I had a beer.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #141
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

I just went through this thread, a lot of interesting opinions.

Concerning the laws that most cities/states seems to have nowadays, I believe if you're going to have some sort of restriction/law, the state of Florida sets a good example.

There is a smoking ban for the inside portion of any restaurant or restaurant/bar, which I have no problem with. This is the part that works for me though...

Smoking is allowed in the following;

Stand-alone bars that meet nine criteria, notably:

a) No more than 10-percent gross revenues are derived from food consumed on the premises

b) Not located within, and not sharing any common entryway or common indoor area with, any other enclosed workplace

My thoughts are that if you're heading out to a bar to strictly hang out and throw down a few it should be allowed. There aren't going to be any kids there, and it's a f'ing bar for crying out loud. You don't like it, then go to any of the wide variety of restaurant/bars that don't allow it to get your fix.

Of course my ultimate opinion on this is to live and let live, but that's a whole other story.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 01-15-2009 at 12:46 AM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:38 AM   #142
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

I wish I could smoke....sigh.. Stopped on September 3rd, one day before open heart surgery and its still friggin hard not to light up. Gained 30 pounds from stress...
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:04 AM   #143
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Cigarette?

Prepare to be smoked.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #144
lungs
Pro Rookie

Hmmm, I've started to limit my smoking to certain activities.

When I bowl in my league, I smoke half a pack. The rest of that pack I limit myself to one a day, usually when I put wood in the fire at night.

When I drink, I'll go through a whole pack.

Basic Lights, by the way. What brands are popular around here?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #145
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I am still eagerly awaiting for Michigan to adopt an indoor smoking ban.

Michigan is a very backwards state in many ways, so often far behind the times.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #146
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Michigan is a very backwards state in many ways, so often far behind the times.

I'll say. Patriots 16-0 & Lions 0-16. Proof right there.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 01-15-2009 at 11:58 AM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #147
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Cigarette(s)

Old 01-19-2009, 03:58 AM   #148
korme
Go Reds

Parliament Lights, even though I've cut way back from a few years prior... meaning maybe 0 while just hanging out and 7-10 while drinking.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #149
MikeVic
Head Coach

I can safely say we don't see eye-to-eye on this Marc Vaughan. I agree that people are coddled too much in general these days, but smoking is something I will never stand for.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #150
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

This is an older article, but I think of it everytime the debate comes up.

Great analogy.

Gas Crisis - Smokers are running on fumes - Views - Vox Pop - Pittsburgh City Paper - Pittsburgh
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote