Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2008, 02:33 PM   #201
dervack
College Prospect

No mention that Sony and Nintendo were working on a disc based system together and then Sony changed their mind and released the Playstation system?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:03 PM   #202
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
No mention that Sony and Nintendo were working on a disc based system together and then Sony changed their mind and released the Playstation system?

Revisionist history.

Nintendo signed a deal with Sony to create a disc-based add-on to the SNES called the SuperDisc.

Problem was, the way the contract was originally written, it gave Sony control over ALL SuperDisc licensing. Games, non-games, whatever. Basically would have bled Nintendo dry.

Nintendo signed a deal with Phillips to get Sony back to the negotiating table, which ultimately worked, and did ultimately give Nintendo back licensing control over the games, but it wasn't Sony changing their mind that led to the PlayStation finding separate release. Nintendo dragged their heels on CD - stuck with silicon chips for N64, so Sony struck out on their own.

But Sony didn't make the decision to do that unilaterally.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:06 PM   #203
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Someone needs to make a line from the Gamecube controller to the original XBox controller as well. The 4 buttons are not configured the same but they are in the same place as are the two analog sticks and the control panel. So let's not pretend Microsoft doesn't do the exact same thing.

SI

Well, in fairness, Xbox and GameCube were released three days apart, and Xbox hit the shelves first. Unless the GameCube controller design got released ridiculously early in the development of the system, it's hard to make a direct ripoff accusation there. Not like the analog PlayStation controller coming out two years after the N64, for sure.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #204
twothree
College Prospect

If you live in the midwest and have a Meijer near you, my local Meijer store has both Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Batman for the PS3 on sale this week for only $14.99. They also might have had those prices for the XBOX360 versions, but I forgot to look.

Edited to add: The sale has ended.

Last edited by twothree : 01-12-2009 at 12:25 PM.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #205
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Sony slams 360, Wii as "peddling add-ons". They do a nice feature-set comparison of the $399 PS3, $249 Wii, and $199 360 Arcade, which of course allows them to tout things like "HDMI" that are available on the $299 360... Nice try to take advantage of your higher price point, though.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56661
Old 01-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #206
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Sony slams 360, Wii as "peddling add-ons". They do a nice feature-set comparison of the $399 PS3, $249 Wii, and $199 360 Arcade, which of course allows them to tout things like "HDMI" that are available on the $299 360... Nice try to take advantage of your higher price point, though.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56661

There's no question that the PS3 is a fine system, but using that kind of logic to justify why it's so much more expensive than the other systems is falling on deaf ear. They need to spend less time comparing geeky feature sets and more time showing off video footage of games and dropping the price. Sony's PR is a disaster right now. I'm guessing it will be one of the major overhauls with the rumored Sony restructuring that is supposed to happen soon.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-09-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #207
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This is pretty good news for Sony and Microsoft. If the prediction of a longer current generation does come to pass, it will allow both Microsoft and Sony a couple extra years on the end of this generation, allowing them to finally make some noticable profit on the current consoles. These kinds of announcements also result in better development support on those consoles since the developer has a longer period of time to work on the known development platform rather than reinventing the wheel again on a new platform.

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11417526?nclick_check=1

Quote:
Microsoft will rely on its Xbox 360 game console for longer than the previous version because it's getting harder to persuade consumers to upgrade, the head of the company's entertainment unit said.

The world's largest software maker will focus on improving the Xbox's games and features rather than rushing to introduce a new model, President Robbie Bach said in an interview.

"Just coming up with something that's faster and prettier isn't going to be sufficient," said Bach, 47. "The life cycle for this generation of consoles — and I'm not just talking about Xbox, I'd include Wii and PS3 as well — is probably going to be a little longer than previous generations."

"When you look at consumers, they are going to be more value-conscious," Bach said.

"We want to make sure that as the economy does start to recover, that we're positioned well."

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-12-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #208
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

God, blisters are developing on my thumb just from looking at the original Ninteno controller. Ahhh, the old days.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-12-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #209
wade moore
lolzcat

Totally random 360 questions for those reading this thread..

How do I change the default profile that loads up when I start the 360?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #210
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure Wade.

For those with the Xbox Arcade Edition, there is either a free or cheap upgrade option available via www.xboxstorageupgrade.com where you can get a 20 GB refurbished harddrive and 3 months of Xbox Live Gold for either free or 29.99 (the announcement is a bit ambigious, it sounds like it is free, but then mentions it is a 29.99 value.) However, I can't go any further to look because you have to enter the Console Serial number of your arcade version.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #211
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
For those with the Xbox Arcade Edition, there is either a free or cheap upgrade option available via www.xboxstorageupgrade.com where you can get a 20 GB refurbished harddrive and 3 months of Xbox Live Gold for either free or 29.99 (the announcement is a bit ambigious, it sounds like it is free, but then mentions it is a 29.99 value.) However, I can't go any further to look because you have to enter the Console Serial number of your arcade version.

It's a 20GB refurb HDD plus 3 months of Xbox Live Gold for $29.99. My aunt got this for her Xbox 360 Arcade, just so she could DL tracks for Rock Band.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #212
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thanks. My niece got an arcade and I will forward the link to her grandma.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #213
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

My Grandma made cakes and knitted things.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #214
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess I could have said mother in law.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:13 PM   #215
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The PlayStation 2 recently passed 50 million sold in North America. (7 million more than total sales in the US)

gamesutra.com

Going by the 2008 statistics of 2.56 people per American household there are roughly 117 million households in the US, therefore 36% of homes have a PS2 (although I'm sure some portion of these were replacements for consoles that broke). It's still impressive though.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #216
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

These people are going to flip their lids when they find out about the PS3 coming out any time now.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #217
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
These people are going to flip their lids when they find out about the PS3 coming out any time now.

Most already have flipped their lids about the PS3, but it's mainly due to the high price at this point.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #218
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

MBBF, one of us today is taking the other's posts much more serious then they should be taken. My problem is, I honestly can't figure out if it's you or I doing this. Use smilies in applicable places please.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #219
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
MBBF, one of us today is taking the other's posts much more serious then they should be taken. My problem is, I honestly can't figure out if it's you or I doing this. Use smilies in applicable places please.

Naw, I'm not taking them too seriously. I'm just not a huge fan of smilies, which likely leaves my posts open to misinterpretation. When in doubt, blame me.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:20 PM   #220
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Old 01-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #221
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Rumor: DSi U.S. Launch Date, Price Revealed

Quote:
Multiple sources close to Nintendo tell IGN that the company is gearing up to debut the anticipated successor to its DS Lite handheld during the first half of this year in America. More specifically, the company has allegedly relayed to its partners that DSi will ship stateside in early April, most likely on April 4. Insiders assert that they have been told the system will retail for $179.99 when it launches domestically.

NOA's president had previously said not to expect the DSi until the latter half of the year.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:56 AM   #222
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

December numbers come out on Thursday, here's one of the usual estimates from EEDAR compared to NPD results from December 2007:

They also estimated the top ten software, I guess because December is such a huge month:

Some other tidbits from the article:

- "Nintendo’s Wii and DS software will account for over 50 percent of all games sold in December across America, saving the game industry from the “full wrath” of the recession."

- overall industry growth for the year at 14%

- they expect 145 games to sell over 100k copies in December alone

- 2009 will be a year of single-digit growth for the industry, a significant slowdown from the previous two years.

Edge Online

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has similar estimates:

Wii - 3.25m
360 - 1.35m
PS3 - 750k

Software growth from Dec 07 to Dec 08:

Wii - 71%
360 - 4% (lower number partially due to new 360s coming with two games)
PS3 - 48%
PS2 - (-54%)

He also predicts that both the 360 and PS3 get a price drop by sometime between April and June, to $249 (for the Pro) and $299 respectively.

gamasutra.com
Old 01-14-2009, 04:40 AM   #223
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

Wii - 71%
PS3 - 48%
PS2 - (-54%)

This kinda pisses me off. How do they get away with counting Wii Sports as a game sale with every Wii, but if 360 gives away Lego Indiana Jones & Kung Fu Panda as part of their holiday bundle they don't count?
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:17 AM   #224
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
This kinda pisses me off. How do they get away with counting Wii Sports as a game sale with every Wii, but if 360 gives away Lego Indiana Jones & Kung Fu Panda as part of their holiday bundle they don't count?

Wii Sports is not counted as a game sale with every Wii (except in Japan where Wii Sports is not bundled), nor are any other bundled games.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #225
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

Wii - 71%
PS3 - 48%

I think these numbers have a lot to do with both pricing and demographics.

1. The Wii games usually have a MSRP of $40-50 on release. That's going to spur the opportunity to buy additional games no matter how you slice it.

2. I think the PS3 sales increases are better than the 360 mainly due to demographics. Anyone who is spending an extra $100-200 for the PS3 likely has the coin to buy more games, whereas much of the 360 sales are on the lower end (arcade) of the price spectrum where a parent or a child who doesn't have a large amount of funds is looking for a good next-gen alternative. Also, as Big Fo mentions, the pack-in games reduce the number of impulse purchases when buying the system.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #226
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Totally random 360 questions for those reading this thread..

How do I change the default profile that loads up when I start the 360?

I think you have to redo the whole thing under "Console setup".
Old 01-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #227
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI......great deal on a PS3 for those that might be interested. $316 for an 80 GB machine over at Dell. Lower price should be show when added to cart.............

Dell : PlayStation PLAYSTATION 3 Gaming Console with 80 GB Hard Drive : Games : Member Purchase Program

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-14-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #228
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
FYI......great deal on a PS3 for those that might be interested. $316 for an 80 GB machine over at Dell. Lower price should be show when added to cart.............

Dell : PlayStation PLAYSTATION 3 Gaming Console with 80 GB Hard Drive : Games : Member Purchase Program

No mention of the 360 Arcade for $169 at Dell from the same thread? Not a bad deal when you throw in the 20 gig refurb HD for 30 bucks from MS with 3 months of Xbox Live too. It's also the HDMI model.

A couple other 360 models on sale at decent prices.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #229
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
No mention of the 360 Arcade for $169 at Dell from the same thread? Not a bad deal when you throw in the 20 gig refurb HD for 30 bucks from MS with 3 months of Xbox Live too. It's also the HDMI model.

A couple other 360 models on sale at decent prices.

Honestly, the 360 deals aren't quite as good. Their price is already pretty low, so 20-30 bucks isn't going to sway many buyers to suddenly jump at it. If you can afford $169, you probably are just as likely to jump at $199. The console is already priced at a very affordable price level.

I suppose to some extent that the PS3 deal is much better BECAUSE the console is so expensive. So it's a good and bad situation. Nonetheless, $316 for one of the better BR players on the market and a gaming console is a heckuva deal. The main reason I posted it is because MLB: The Show is a console seller for sports gamers and the new release is coming up. Good opportunity for those people.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-15-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #230
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

That PS3 thing, is there some membership to something needed to buy???

Says something about Dell EPP Members. (?)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #231
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
That PS3 thing, is there some membership to something needed to buy???

Says something about Dell EPP Members. (?)

A membership gets you a further discount above what I listed.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #232
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

The link seems to now list the price as $340 after the discount.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #233
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
The link seems to now list the price as $340 after the discount.

Yeah, the deal is being listed as 'price change' by several sites. Guessing the cheap deal is gone.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #234
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting read. Certainly, the 2K exec is correct that there's a large percentage of 'crapware' on the Wii, but I'm not sure that he or his company should be the ones throwing stones at the glass house given the games they've released for the Wii.......

2K Boss: Wii Market Is Full Of Crap
Old 01-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #235
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Certainly, the 2K exec is correct that there's a large percentage of 'crapware' on the Wii,

Hopefully they come out with E.T on the Wii.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #236
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but apparently Sony believes that anyone buying a PS3 (despite it being out for two years) is still an early adopter..........

Sony: PS3 'still in early adopter phase' - Heavy Rain for PS3 News - VideoGamer.com
Old 01-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #237
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but apparently Sony believes that anyone buying a PS3 (despite it being out for two years) is still an early adopter..........

Sony: PS3 'still in early adopter phase' - Heavy Rain for PS3 News - VideoGamer.com

As long as you include the disclaimer that Sony is the reason for them still being in that stage, I suppose you could pass it off as being correct.........or not.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #238
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Hopefully they come out with E.T on the Wii.

Virtual Console FTW.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #239
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Early adopter phase? Just call me Mr. Trendsetter, Mr. Trailblazer perhaps. I am among the highly cool.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #240
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Honestly, the 360 deals aren't quite as good. Their price is already pretty low, so 20-30 bucks isn't going to sway many buyers to suddenly jump at it. If you can afford $169, you probably are just as likely to jump at $199. The console is already priced at a very affordable price level.

I suppose to some extent that the PS3 deal is much better BECAUSE the console is so expensive. So it's a good and bad situation. Nonetheless, $316 for one of the better BR players on the market and a gaming console is a heckuva deal. The main reason I posted it is because MLB: The Show is a console seller for sports gamers and the new release is coming up. Good opportunity for those people.

Did anyone else find this explanation really stupid?

Are you saying that if someone can afford $169, they should be able to afford $199, however if they can't afford $399, they should be able to afford $316?
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #241
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
Did anyone else find this explanation really stupid?

Are you saying that if someone can afford $169, they should be able to afford $199, however if they can't afford $399, they should be able to afford $316?

Nah I see what he's saying.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #242
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Official NPD #'s are out.

* Nintendo DS - 3,040,000
* Wii - 2,150,000
* Xbox 360 - 1,440,000
* PSP - 1,020,000
* PlayStation 3 - 726,000
* PlayStation 2 - 410,000

Npd Group: Nintendo Breaks More Sales Records, Sells Over 5 Million Consoles In December