Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will be the 1st overall pick in the next NFL draft?
Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech 14 13.08%
Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois 0 0%
Cullen Harper, QB, Clemson 0 0%
Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State 0 0%
Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech 3 2.80%
James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State 2 1.87%
Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC 3 2.80%
Mike Mickens, CB, Cincinnati 0 0%
Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia 0 0%
William Moore, FS, Missouri 0 0%
Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia 2 1.87%
Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi 14 13.08%
Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas 3 2.80%
Jeff Owens, DT, Georgia 0 0%
Andre Smith, OT, Alabama 8 7.48%
Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia 35 32.71%
Terrance Taylor, DT, Michigan 1 0.93%
Tim Tebow, QB, Florida 9 8.41%
Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State 2 1.87%
none of the above ... some other trout 11 10.28%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #151
Cuckoo
College Starter

DOLA

Also just read that a station in OKC is reporting that Bradford has purchased an insurance policy for next season.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #152
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

KC Star is reporting that Jeremy Maclin is going to announce whether he'll be going pro on Friday. If he leaves school, he's generally considered to be a top 15 pick.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #153
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I hope the Rams take Crabtree at #2. They need to revamp the WR corps and he is a guy to build around. Sure they need more linemen, but I think with good planning you can pick up a good linemen later in the draft.

The other position they need is CB, but none of the guys on the list are worthy of the #2 spot. They could also trade down a bit and pick up some more picks which would be a great move.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #154
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The other position they need is CB, but none of the guys on the list are worthy of the #2 spot. They could also trade down a bit and pick up some more picks which would be a great move.

Trade the #2 to the Bears so they can snag one of the QB's.

Utterly, hopelessly wishful thinking, but hey.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #155
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I hope the Rams take Crabtree at #2. They need to revamp the WR corps and he is a guy to build around. Sure they need more linemen, but I think with good planning you can pick up a good linemen later in the draft.

I'm hoping you're wrong on your first point. As a Seahawks fan I'm really hoping Crabtree falls to #4. Trying to objective about the Rams, it seems like they have a pretty good young WR in Avery, but they do need to protect the QB better to give him time to get the ball out. One more year with Avery/Holt as their top two while helping out their line in the draft would still be a good route to take, then take another WR either in rounds 2/3 this year or early next year to address the potential post Holt era at the WR position.

That said, I'm not sure what the word really is on Avery. I had him on a few fantasy teams and while he seemed to be feast/famine during the middle part of the season he seemed to get a bit more consistent by the end of the year. Given that he was the first WR taken in last year's draft, is WR a route they'd likely take early again this draft?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #156
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Trade the #2 to the Bears so they can snag one of the QB's.

Utterly, hopelessly wishful thinking, but hey.

It would never work. What you don't know is that, in order to get the football gods to help hoodwink the Steelers into giving up Sid Luckman, George Halas had to promise them that never again would the Bears ask for or receive a quality NFL quarterback.

The football gods continue to hold the Bears to this promise. And, as you know, they are unforgiving.

If you made the trade, you'd end up drafting the Rick Mirer of this draft class. Better to not even try.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #157
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The problem is that the Rams cannot draft linemen early. Their track record is terrible. Better to take a sure commodity, and then build the lines in the later rounds.

That said, the one thing the Rams have going for them is even if they just take the BPA, that's an upgrade to the squad.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #158
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
If you made the trade, you'd end up drafting the Rick Mirer of this draft class. Better to not even try.

We already had Rick Mirer once. It wouldn't happen again. Right? RIGHT?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #159
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
We already had Rick Mirer once. It wouldn't happen again. Right? RIGHT?

As I recall, you got him for a 6th or a 7th. The Seahawks had to spend the #2 pick in the draft for that steaming pile of crud.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #160
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
As I recall, you got him for a 6th or a 7th. The Seahawks had to spend the #2 pick in the draft for that steaming pile of crud.

Welllllll, we kinda took him for the 11th overall pick.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-08-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #161
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Michael Crabtree will announce this afternoon that he will be available for the Lions to take him at the #1 overall spot.

Texas Tech WR Crabtree to enter NFL draft - College Football - Rivals.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #162
Logan
Head Coach

This is going to be a great draft pool, 85% due to the underclassmen.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #163
st.cronin
General Manager

Here are the underclassmen I know are declaring (will add to this as more names come out) and what I think their draft prospects look like:

Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri - 1st/2nd
P.J. Hill, RB, Wisconsin - 4th round at best
Beanie Wells, RB, Ohio State - 1st round pick
Everette Brown, WLB, Florida State - 1st/2nd
Jared Cook, TE, South Carolina - late first day
Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland - 1st/2nd
Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia - 1st round pick
Kevin Ogletree, WR, Virginia - 2nd day pick at best
Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia - top 5 pick
James Casey, TE, Rice - 2nd day pick
Jerraud Powers, CB, Auburn - not sure
Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech - top 10 pick
Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina - 1st/2nd
Gerald McRath, LB, Southern Mississippi - mid round pick
Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers - 1st/2nd
Eben Britton, OT, Arizona - 1st/2nd
Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut - mid round pick
Anthony Reddick, FS, Miami - ???
Andre Smith, OT, Alabama - top 10
Emanuel Cook, S, South Carolina - 2nd round or later
Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois - 1st/2nd
Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State - probable first day pick but who knows
Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa - 3rd round or later
Ricky Jean-Francois, DT, LSU - not sure
Sen'Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn - 1st/2nd
D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt - 1st/2nd
Captain Munnerlyn, CB, South Carolina - 3rd round or later

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #164
st.cronin
General Manager

It appears this class is very strong in offensive linemen and linebackers, and has good depth in wide receivers. It looks pretty weak in defensive linemen, quarterbacks, and running backs.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #165
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm interested to see Bradford and Sanchez's decisions. I think Sanchez would be stupid not to come out this year and I would have said the same about Bradford, but if he comes out this year that game last night will be picked apart because it was one of the few games this year where he was pressured. I could see him slipping considerably between now and the draft if he declared.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #166
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
I wouldn't put too much stock in this "source." I don't have any inside sources, but my gut tells me he's not leaving. We'll see, though.

As I guessed, it looks like Bradford's coming back.

Source: Quarterback Sam Bradford expected to return to Oklahoma Sooners - ESPN
Old 01-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #167
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Thank God.

Sanchez probably comes out now, but would rather he didn't.

Only chance Detroit has to deal that #1 pick is if Stafford is the only QB at the top of the draft.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #168
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Good news for Oklahoma, as all three of their potential 1st round draft picks (QB Sam Bradford, TE Jermaine Gresham and DT Gerald McCoy) announced that they're coming back to OU next year. Additionally, OT Trent Williams (projected 2nd round pick) announced that he was coming back for his senior year.

There was some speculation earlier in the year that RB Demarco Murray might be leaving at the end of the season, but his hamstring injury has set him back, and he'll definitely be returning next year.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #169
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

In a violent sport like football I'd advise every guy that's likely a first round pick to leave.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #170
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
In a violent sport like football I'd advise every guy that's likely a first round pick to leave.

Yeah, I mean no Sooner fan could have blamed Bradford for leaving early. However, I do think there is something to be said about wanting to make sure you're ready. If you are risking going below the top ten where the bonus money isn't quite as ridiculous, you are more expendable and if you don't make it to start by your first contract, there might not be a second one. The NFL is pretty unforgiving to guys who don't progress. So if you have a chance to go back and get stronger and progress to where you can make an impact early, then you can help yourself out a lot for the long run.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #171
Galaxy
Coordinator

Pittsburgh running back LeSean McCoy and Penn State DE Aaron Maybin are coming out.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #172
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Yeah, I mean no Sooner fan could have blamed Bradford for leaving early. However, I do think there is something to be said about wanting to make sure you're ready. If you are risking going below the top ten where the bonus money isn't quite as ridiculous, you are more expendable and if you don't make it to start by your first contract, there might not be a second one. The NFL is pretty unforgiving to guys who don't progress. So if you have a chance to go back and get stronger and progress to where you can make an impact early, then you can help yourself out a lot for the long run.

Yeah, but every year you come back is another year of abuse - ie, there's only so much the human body can take, and that year spent at college is a year you're helping the legalized serfdom known as the NCAA at the expense of your career. I agree that if you're a fringe prospect with significantly variability you might want to stick around - if not, absolutely no reason to.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #173
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Thank God.

Sanchez probably comes out now, but would rather he didn't.

Only chance Detroit has to deal that #1 pick is if Stafford is the only QB at the top of the draft.

ESPN is reporting that Sanchez has announced he will come out. However, his dad has said that isn't true and that Sanchez still hasn't decided. I think with Bradford staying in school, the smart decision is for Sanchez to go pro now where he has a decent shot at being the #1 QB taken, but I'm hoping he lets his heart override his brain.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #174
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Yeah, but every year you come back is another year of abuse - ie, there's only so much the human body can take, and that year spent at college is a year you're helping the legalized serfdom known as the NCAA at the expense of your career. I agree that if you're a fringe prospect with significantly variability you might want to stick around - if not, absolutely no reason to.

I think it can be a missed bag. If Bradford falls a few spots next year, he'll start out making less (but still significant money), but he'll also wind up getting drafted by a better team. How much is the extra money worth if you're getting abused every time you drop back to pass (see David Carr for the Houston Texans in 2002). I think Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco are pretty happy with where they are right now. I'm not so sure the same can be said for Jamarcus Russell.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 AM   #175
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
the smart decision is for Sanchez to go pro now where he has a decent shot at being the #1 QB taken

I agree this is a smart decision, as he is clearly #2, and almost assured of the first round, but he has no chance of being the top QB. Its just going to be Stafford.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #176
Galaxy
Coordinator

Just curious, who will be the top junior quarterbacks next year?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #177
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

lucy ricardo apparently
Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #178
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Just curious, who will be the top junior quarterbacks next year?

Uhhhhh, Bradford.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #179
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I agree this is a smart decision, as he is clearly #2, and almost assured of the first round, but he has no chance of being the top QB. Its just going to be Stafford.

I guess we'll see, but I wouldn't count out Sanchez rising above him. I'm not saying it will happen, but there is definitely a chance. He doesn't have the arm strength of Stafford, but he has good arm strength and he has other qualities such as intangibles that could cause him to rise to #1. Regardless, he has a good chance of being a top 5 pick and it was smart for him to come out, but it obviously is very disappointing to me.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #180
Travis
Pro Rookie

I'm all for Sanchez entering the draft. Give the Chiefs at least one QB to consider at their pick. I'm really hoping Crabtree gets to Seattle at #4 so anybody that may factor into a decision for any of the top 3 picks is more than welcome into the pool in my opinion.

That said, trying to be objective, he's probably smarter to come out now where he's likely a pretty good lock at #2 (as far as the QB position) with a shot at challenging for #1 rather than waiting a year and hoping to be #1 ahead of Bradford or anybody else who may emerge next season (never mind injury concerns).
Old 01-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #181
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pete carrol seemed to be very against this decision. There's no way I would commit a double digit signing bonus to a guy with less than 30 or so college starts. Sanchez just doesn't have enough body of work to be properly evaluated.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #182
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Although I should add it was the right choice for him. Especially with Bradford not coming out.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #183
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Uhhhhh, Bradford.

I meant who will be the top underclassmen quarterbacks that will be able to enter the draft on their first round of eligibility?

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-15-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #184
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I meant who will be the top underclassmen quarterbacks that will be able to enter the draft on their first round of eligibility?

Probably Jimmy Clausen and Jevon Snead. Both need to take a jump forward, but as far as talent goes they're both capable.

Unless someone does step forward, though, it looks like a weak group of underclassman QBs next year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote