Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #51
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I thought he answered that:

If someone deliberately screwed the Knicks, and the only reason they were in that situation is because of a contract they willfully gave out, no way would I have a problem with it. They made their bed, and if it cost the team their entire future FA haul, so be it.

To be fair, the only reason this scenario exists is because the league allowed the Blazers to declare Miles' injury to be career-ending, when it's obviously not. So they have about three strikes going against them by my count (the 3rd being that if he had no injury at all, he would still be on their cap for the full amount).

Didn't a doctor say it was a career ending injury?

Do the Blazers have a case against the doctor for his incorrect diagnosis?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #52
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that's my point - if this actually wasn't a CEI then the blazers ought to have legal recourse against SOMEBODY
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #53
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
To be fair, the only reason this scenario exists is because the league allowed the Blazers to declare Miles' injury to be career-ending, when it's obviously not. So they have about three strikes going against them by my count (the 3rd being that if he had no injury at all, he would still be on their cap for the full amount).

The way you word this suggests the league cut the Blazers a break to do this. That's not the case. There were specific rules put in the CBA to handle this situation.

If an independent doctor determines that the injury is a CEI (and it may take more than one doctor, not sure), then the Blazers can apply for the cap relief, which they were eligible for under the CBA. That eligibility comes with the condition being tested here, that should Miles play in 10 games within the next NBA season, that contract comes back into play.

So it wasn't like some sort of deal was worked out between the league and the Blazers, wink, wink, and just declare it a CEI.

Kudos to Miles for perservering and overcoming his injury.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #54
Logan
Head Coach

You're right, I didn't really mean it like that...more like if he were never injured in the first place, he would be counting on their cap anyway (and would be yet another guy who has more value for his expiring contract a year from now than his actual on court play). It's not like something happened that automatically triggered a 2 year, $18 million extension that they did not originally agree to. That's where I come back to them not having anyone to blame but themselves.

I don't see what claim they would have against a doctor for an incorrect diagnosis. What would they have been able to do differently? He would just sit on their bench and rot if he was 100% healthy, or play poorly.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #55
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
I suppose this takes all thoughts of one of the TB's rivals trying to purposely hurt the franchise away. Memphis is going nowhere and will have no impact on the Western Conference whatsoever for at least the next handful of seasons.

And that is the funniest thing to me about the whole situation. It is all about "screwing the Blazers" as opposed to whether or not signing Miles will better the Grizzlies or not.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #56
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

The Blazers tried to sign D. Miles last week...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns