Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

2009 Winter Classic Thread

Can't wait for the game to start.

Mike Babcok looks like a damned bad ass with that hat on.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dan Cleary gets put head over heels into the Blackhawks bench and it results in a Too Many Men on the Ice penalty. Amazing hit by Seabrook.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I liked it last year with the snow better.

I wuld have to say, other than just the whole I was there" thing I would think that from a purely speectator perspective this is probably the worst game to attend. Sitting so far back from the ice and trying to keep up with the puck (the delay in the cheer for the Hawks goal demonstrated that).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Packed house.. I love watching these!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
samifan24
Pro Starter

A good game so far!
Old 01-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I enjoy the event. It's a great tradition, but the camera angles so far aren't as good as last year in Buffalo. I think they need to stick to football stadiums.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I liked it last year with the snow better.

I wuld have to say, other than just the whole I was there" thing I would think that from a purely speectator perspective this is probably the worst game to attend. Sitting so far back from the ice and trying to keep up with the puck (the delay in the cheer for the Hawks goal demonstrated that).

The seating is horrible. That also keeps the crowd out of it. For some reason, I just feel like this could get old if they do it every year.

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-01-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sick goal by Datsyuk to make it 4-3 Wings.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
RainMaker
General Manager

I got back from the game a couple hours ago. Still cold. Going to post up some pictures I took. They aren't that good as the bleachers didn't have a good view at all. Still had a blast.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

A fun game to watch like last year. I'm re-watching it right now, since I was over at my brother's house. He's a Sparty, so he had the Georgia/MSU game on the TV and we had the Wings' game on the laptop on the side.

Great to see the Wings win the last two against the Hawks. They have had a bad habit of playing poorly in the first period, but were able to overcome it today.

While I like Doc Emerick a lot, I was glad to hear Dave Strader call the game. He was the Wings' play-by-play guy when I first started watching hockey. He'll always be the "voice of hockey" for me. I could listen to him call a game all day long.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #11
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

How weird is it hearing them talk about the effect of the wind in a hockey game? I only caught the end (worked today & didn't see much football either) but it still looked good. Strange setup though... was that the only way they could fit the rink into Wrigley?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
Hurst2112
College Starter

Andreas Lilja suc....

screw it! I'm sick of saying the same thing about this guy. Every year, he shows moments of idiocy. I can't believe he's still part of this team.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
A fun game to watch like last year. I'm re-watching it right now, since I was over at my brother's house. He's a Sparty, so he had the Georgia/MSU game on the TV and we had the Wings' game on the laptop on the side.

Great to see the Wings win the last two against the Hawks. They have had a bad habit of playing poorly in the first period, but were able to overcome it today.

While I like Doc Emerick a lot, I was glad to hear Dave Strader call the game. He was the Wings' play-by-play guy when I first started watching hockey. He'll always be the "voice of hockey" for me. I could listen to him call a game all day long.

Strader is the best is the business, imo. It sounds like he's having a conversation, and not actually calling the game. He and Mickey were awesome, not to take anything away from Daniels, but yeah, Strader was awesome.

And HB .. as much as it pains me to say .. Hudler looks real good. Not worth the money he might get as an RFA, but wow he's been sharp.

It's looking like of the 4 FA .. Z/Hossa/Franzen/Huds we'll keep two. Probably Zand Franzen. I really doubt Hudler will be back because I sense he still has friction with Babcock not giving him minutes despite his production. I bet he goes on the market, and gets a 4 or 5 year deal that could even push 4 mil/per and Kenny would gladly accept the picks.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
How weird is it hearing them talk about the effect of the wind in a hockey game? I only caught the end (worked today & didn't see much football either) but it still looked good. Strange setup though... was that the only way they could fit the rink into Wrigley?

I thought the setup was stupid. They should have gone from home to 2nd and pushed it farther out to the outfield. But it probably wouldn't have looked as nice on TV. Half the stadium had an obstructed view.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-02-2009 at 12:46 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote