Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

How Are You Using Time Off (If You Have It)?

I don't know how many of you are able to take time off for the holiday, but for the first time in my professional career, I am able to take some time off this season. My time off started on Tuesday (the 22nd) and I'll go back to work on January 5th. I haven't taken this much time off....well, since before I started grad school, and I don't really know what I'm going to do with myself.

Tuesday and Wednesday I spent with family, in particular cooking for our traditional Christmas Eve dinner. Obviously, Christmas was also spent with my family and family friends.

Today, I was excited to be able to get into DC to the Corcoran Gallery of Art in DC, where there is an amazing exhibit of the pictures of Richard Avedon (Richard Avedon: Portraits of Power I highly recommend seeing this if you can, it closes January 25th) and then to the Renwick Gallery to see the glass of Lino Tagliapietra.

I would like to get back into the city to see the Georgia O'Keefe and Ansel Adams exhibit (closes 1/4 if I'm not mistaken), but other than that, I really don't know what to do with myself...I suppose I'll be playing video games and doing some reading, but I'm hoping to get out a little, too...

What about the rest of you?
/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Not so much time off from my normal job, but we've tabled anything 'unnecessary' (fixing up anything around the house that can wait, unneeded chores, general running around) for at least 2 weeks.

Spending that time playing board games, reading or just general relaxing at night.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 12-26-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Spending that time playing board games...

This is one thing I wish I'd had time for with my sister and my mom. We're Scrabble-aholics, and owing to the cooking and such, we didn't get to play while my sister was in town.

I heard a rumor, though, that she may be coming back sometime in the spring, as my brother might be...hopefully they'll be after my launch so I can see them both (my brother wasn't able to make it up here for Christmas).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
Flasch186
Coordinator

drove to New Orleans with Fi, Mom, and Dad (7 hours). Spent a night in Biloxi on the way but in NO we stayed at the Ritz Carlton on my bro's dime. Pretty nice hotel. We ate a bunch and saw the city. We all got sick and left early and got home today so we can relax the weekend at home.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
drove to New Orleans with Fi, Mom, and Dad (7 hours). Spent a night in Biloxi on the way but in NO we stayed at the Ritz Carlton on my bro's dime. Pretty nice hotel. We ate a bunch and saw the city. We all got sick and left early and got home today so we can relax the weekend at home.
Damn, man, what'd New Orleans do to you to make you sick?

Seriously, I hope you feel better.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Worked all week (except for Christmas Day) but I am taking all of next week off. Got a bunch of cards I need to sort through, got a new Gothic game to try, got to go through the bag of stuff in the garage, got an iTunes gift card to use and a bunch of movies to watch.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #7
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Me, I am recovering from going right out on the road, almost 10 weeks straight with about I would say 6 days total off between them all (By off I mean at home).

Time to get everything in order for the new year including my league and the leagues I am in.

Plus, I have my online businesses to worry about now as well.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
sooner333
College Starter

I have a month off for winter break. Since I go to school in the same town as my family, haven't had to do much travel except for back and forth between our houses. Basically, I've been sleeping in, playing some video games, watching movies/TV shows and college bowls. Oh yeah, driving to Miami just after New Year's for the BCS Championshp with a night in Biloxi in between there and back (and a few nights on the beach). Pretty tough.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
McSweeny
College Starter

i'm back in my apartment recovering from spending so much time with my family. tonight i'm sitting here with my cats and a bottle of fine whiskey and my guitar. i figure i've earned it
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #10
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny View Post
tonight i'm sitting here with my cats and a bottle of fine whiskey and my guitar. i figure i've earned it

This is me every night. +1
Old 12-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #11
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Damn, man, what'd New Orleans do to you to make you sick?

Seriously, I hope you feel better.

Well I took a cold with me, we got there on Monday. On Tuesday Ash started to feel a little sick. By Thursday night she was staying in the hotel while we went out to eat dinner. We were planning on staying Friday in NO and Saturday in Biloxi again but Ash was too sick to leave the room...I was feeling like crap again (dayquil/nyquil) and dad was sick. Only person to fend it off was mom. So it was crappy PLUS crawfish are out of season which was quite the bummer. Anyways, were home now and have the weekend off so it'll be two days off before Monday. Just a 5 of a trip that shoulda beena 10.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

I got two and a half weeks off for winter break (have to be back in Fayetteville by the 8th) and thus far I've spent it hanging out with family, seeing a buddy or two, sleeping in and working on the paper that I have to finish to get a grade in the class I got an incomplete in.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I had to work last year, but this year I took off the 22nd through the 5th of January. I still can't believe I have a week left!!!

The bad thing is, on Monday when I go back, it's going to be very busy catching up.

I've been playing my Xbox 360 a ton, along with some text sims longer than the usual hour or so a night.. it's been nice.

I've also been helping my kids with all their gifts, getting them out of the box (damn, you would think the people who strap these kids dolls into their containers go to a college for packaging or something) and setting everything up. It's usually about every 10 mins or so I hear, "Hey daddy, can you come up here?"
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
Lorena
Unregistered

We started watching Jericho this week and have 3 shows left to finish the series.. it's a pretty good show, we're always on edge.

As far as next week, dunno for sure. Probably some movies, I'd like to go downtown and just hang out, probably walk around the lake or something.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #15
Danny
Head Coach

I had 3 weeks off from work (2 left) and an additional week from school. So far, mostly being there for all of the events surrounding my wife's grandmother passing. In Armenian culture you go over to someone house the whole week of the passing until the viewing and then you have the pre funeral viewing, the funeral the next day and then events at 7 days. 40 days and one year after the passing. You also do not celebrate any events for at least 40 days and then immediate family not for a year, so other than with my family we'll have a quiet holiday season.

I am going to build an online community site for the people in my grad program at some point as well and I was hoping to do some review reading before next semester started.

Other than just as much time with my wife as possible and now that my finger is almost healed I want to start trying to learn the guitar again.

Last edited by Danny : 12-27-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I went to the High Museum of Art today. Before that, I was just watching Blu-ray movies from Netflix and hanging out (relaxing a bit). I'll be back at work from Monday to Wednesday, but after going out for New Years', I'm going to take it easy again. Get the batteries charged .
Old 12-27-2008, 10:58 PM   #17
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
We started watching Jericho this week and have 3 shows left to finish the series.. it's a pretty good show, we're always on edge.

As far as next week, dunno for sure. Probably some movies, I'd like to go downtown and just hang out, probably walk around the lake or something.

We finished Jericho, what an awesome show. Watched The Office Season 4 as well. So far, a very non-productive week for us.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:19 AM   #18
DanGarion
Coordinator

I've been with my employer for 11 years, so I get 4 weeks now. This year it's primarily going to be focused around house projects most likely...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #19
FBPro
College Starter

Had 12/25 off that's it.......bummed.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:54 AM   #20
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Writing my new book.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #21
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post
Writing my new book.

CHEER!!!!

I had the 24th, 25th and 26th off, and will get the 1st and 2nd off.

However, the baby is now 4 months old. Ten guesses as to what I've been doing during my time "off", and the first 9 don't count.

The highlight will probably be my brother visiting on the 1st as he & his wife stop by for the night on their way from MN to ME.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote