Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Check out this High School Football Weight Room

Lake Travis in Texas .. Christ

And obviously I'd be remissed not to pose a pic of their indoor practice facility

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

What was the price-tag on all that?
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Their immortal souls?
Old 12-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hehe..
Old 12-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

So, do the track, baseball, soccer, and basketball players get to use it as well, or is the banner just for show?
Old 12-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
kingfc22
Head Coach

What's their record?
Old 12-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Klinglerware
College Starter

average SAT score: 1102
median income: $121,820

Affluence + devotion to HS football = kickass weight room
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
What's their record?

They're 15-0, and playing for a State Title. Currently #27 in the Nation on Rivals 100.

The #18 player in the nation Garrett Gilbert is their QB.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 12-17-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Here is another ..

Massalion High in Ohio is building this indoor football facility:

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1185/721467.jpg

And next up is apparently an 18,000 square foot sports medicine building.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 12-17-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
Flasch186
Coordinator

High School is the New College.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #11
Shepp
High School Varsity

The Gold's Gym I belong to now isn't that nice. Let alone the dungeon that I lifted weights in at High School
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #12
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Wow, I say we should increase the amount of money we throw at education.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #13
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Fuckin' Ridiculous...what a waste of money
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Wow, I say we should increase the amount of money we throw at education.

w/ no research done Ill bet that the facility was probably entirely paid for by an individual. At least I hope so.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #15
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
w/ no research done Ill bet that the facility was probably entirely paid for by an individual. At least I hope so.

Per this article:

American Football Monthly - Champion's Choice - April 2008

“As part of a bond issue that passed, we were given funds for new equipment and the space we needed to do the things we wanted to do.”
Old 12-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #16
Lorena
Unregistered

Jeez, I guess they take football serious.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #17
Klinglerware
College Starter

Dola:

This is apparently the will of the voting population. The community is wealthy and they love their HS football, so what are you going to do?
Old 12-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #18
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Welcome, rest of the world.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
This is apparently the will of the voting population. The community is wealthy and they love their HS football, so what are you going to do?

+1

And no matter who paid for it, that's a gorgeous f'n facility.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #20
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
The Gold's Gym I belong to now isn't that nice. Let alone the dungeon that I lifted weights in at High School
I'm not lying when I say that is bigger and nicer than the UMass varsity weight room.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #21
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm not lying when I say that is bigger and nicer than the UMass varsity weight room.

Perhaps not so unrelated--So it sounds like your head coach is a finalist for the Yale job. Whipple left because UMass wouldn't upgrade to 1A. Brown could leave, for a lower profile program, albeit one that will probably pay him more than what he's making now...
Old 12-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #22
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I know of at least 2 local schools with indoor field turf facilities.
Weight rooms are nice....that is definitely the nicest HS weight room Ive seen.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #23
Galaxy
Coordinator

Go to some of middle-class and wealthy high schools in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. They have college-like stadiums (even the "middle class" schools). I believe that the school district that my family lives in just spent $20 million on a stadium (multi-purpose, but football being the key sport).

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-17-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #24
Senator

Galaxy is correct. Though this is upper end, Southlake and Coppell have had close to this for years. I guess I am just used to it. My youth football team practices in an indoor football field all the time.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 12-17-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #25
Danny
Head Coach

Most of education is paid for by local tax payers/property taxes, as long as this came out of those funds and the people wanted it, more power to them. each school is eligible for a certain amount of federal funding, but these are allocated for specific purposes and I am sure this did not come out of those funds.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #26
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

God Bless Texas
Old 12-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #27
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Here is a video jumbotron at Lakeland high!

Lakeland High School Football
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #28
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Galaxy is correct. Though this is upper end, Southlake and Coppell have had close to this for years. I guess I am just used to it. My youth football team practices in an indoor football field all the time.

I was actually talking about Northwest (which does not quite have the wealth of Southlake, not that's by any means "poor). You should take a look at the second high school they are building (and the cost of it).

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-17-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #29
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

So remind me there is a recession still on isn't there - or do these schools operate iin some twilight zone out there on the edge of reality ....

Damned if I've ever seen a gym that nice ..... I'm kinda smirking right now because I know what the facilities at Brighton & Hove Albion FC used to be like back when we had a stadium*, they might be a professional club - but errr it was more YMCA than that sort of setup

*Long story - but basically our old stadium is now a supermarket, our club is largely homeless and plays out of a local athletic stadium ... despite this we were playing in the second tier of English Soccer (The Championship) only a few seasons ago ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #30
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
So remind me there is a recession still on isn't there - or do these schools operate iin some twilight zone out there on the edge of reality ....

As I said, schools are primarily funded by local property and other taxes. This is is also why more affluent areas generally have much better schools. This specific case is definitely not a representative sample of the money schools have available to them.

Last edited by Danny : 12-17-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:42 AM   #31
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I was actually talking about Northwest (which does not quite have the wealth of Southlake, not that's by any means "poor). You should take a look at the second high school they are building (and the cost of it).

Oh yeah, my nephew just graduated from Northwest and played football there. I have some kids who play football for me that are going to be going to the new school. Amazing place.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #32
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post

Damned if I've ever seen a gym that nice ..... I'm kinda smirking right now because I know what the facilities at Brighton & Hove Albion FC used to be like back when we had a stadium*, they might be a professional club - but errr it was more YMCA than that sort of setup

*Long story - but basically our old stadium is now a supermarket, our club is largely homeless and plays out of a local athletic stadium ... despite this we were playing in the second tier of English Soccer (The Championship) only a few seasons ago ...

Texas does not have a state tax, because our property taxes are through the roof. You would shudder to know what I pay each year for my home.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #33
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
Perhaps not so unrelated--So it sounds like your head coach is a finalist for the Yale job. Whipple left because UMass wouldn't upgrade to 1A. Brown could leave, for a lower profile program, albeit one that will probably pay him more than what he's making now...
Beats me,and most UMass fans. although word is now he's staying. If he's was trying to get a raise from UMass after a down year when they just announced $38m in cuts for Amherst alone, he's an idiot and a jackass. If he did go, I wouldn't be mad - he's a good defensive coach, but his recruiting is questionable and he refuses to fire his terrible OC. I'd rather have the Holy Cross coach who was the other reported finalist (although now he's supposedly pulled his name out of the running too).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
So remind me there is a recession still on isn't there - or do these schools operate in some twilight zone out there on the edge of reality ....
Well, Texas hasn't been hit nearly as hard as, for example, Florida. Plus this would have been paid for and built the past few years when Texas was absolutely booming, partially because of the rise in oil prices.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #34
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Most of education is paid for by local tax payers/property taxes, as long as this came out of those funds and the people wanted it, more power to them. each school is eligible for a certain amount of federal funding, but these are allocated for specific purposes and I am sure this did not come out of those funds.

The other article said they (Lakeland TX School) issued a bond to pay for it. That means they bacially took out a loan. The other school in the article had a pro player from the Carolina Panthers help pay for theirs. In order to issue a bond the municipality needs to meet a bond credit rating to show they are not overextended. But basically the local taxes will pay the bond off over time. So yeah, they are paying for it.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:59 AM   #35
Subby
lolzcat

I wonder what type of revenue football generates for some of the elite high school programs.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #36
Senator

8-10K people per event.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #37
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Texas does not have a state tax, because our property taxes are through the roof. You would shudder to know what I pay each year for my home.

+1

And for those thinking that Lake Travis ISD doesn't spend money on education, they have a 90%+ college acceptance rate for graduating seniors, and the overall school system is rated as one of the top ones in the state.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote