Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Interactive Post: Fix my cable bill! (Comcast)

I really like my Comcast cable and internet service but man, they're getting expensive! My wife and I have thought about switching to something else but wanted to weigh the options first. It's a hassle to switch obviously and hard sometimes to get straight answers so I thought I'd try to ask for some advice here...

We have 2 HD boxes, one being a DVR, with on-demand on both. Here is the channel lineup we currently have as well as our bill:

Channel lineup: Digital Classic (with Standard Cable)
(use drop down for details)

My wife watches a lot of the home/garden type channels, along with the usual sitcoms etc. I watch mostly sports and things like Discovery, History, National Georgaphic and other educational channels. We have a ton of channels but watch probably 40 of them max? We like having the music channels too but is obviously not a must.

Option 1) Downgrade (or continue to haggle) Comcast. What could we easily cut out?

Option 2) Make the switch to Dish, Direct TV, or other.

I digress...looking forward to the replies as I know there are better options available (Comcast or other!)

Last edited by Mike Lowe : 12-13-2008 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Finally fixed this posting debacle! Sorry for the double post
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Old 12-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
Axxon
Pro Starter

Still nope.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Ok, I think I fixed it (originally tried to copy and paste the entire channel lineup to no avail)

See first post for details...thanks again.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
SteveMax58
College Starter

That billing statement looks confusing, but couple of questions...

What tier (or up/down speed) is your high speed internet? If you dont download massive files(i.e. full-length movies and the like), host a high traffic volume website, or stream high res video often, you may want to consider downgrading.

Do you use your DVR functions often(or ever)? Most cable companies charge a pretty solid monthly on these functions, and if you dont really use them(or only use them on one TV typically), you're really throwing money away.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
billethius
Mascot

I ordered DirecTV at one point, called comcast to cancel because DirecTV was cheaper and they offered to lower my price. I told them it was still too high for me and they lowered it again to their promotional price for new customers. I took that price and called DirecTV to cancel their installation.

So you could give that a try.
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
SteveMax58
College Starter

Your Standard rate of $29.99/mo does not look to be correct as they are only subtracting $15.86 instead of the $28.00 that would seem to make sense in the context. I imagine you signed up (or extended) for service and it was supposed to be a base rate of $29.99/mo. It looks to me that they raised the rates and did not properly update the billing system's credits to you.

Last edited by SteveMax58 : 12-13-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Thanks everyone, keep them coming.

Steve, what happened was I called and did the "I'm going to switch" bit and they told me I could downgrade to qualify for a discount (since I had been on a discount for 6 months already and could not just "have" a new one again). With the new lower plan, I received a discount and then they let me upgrade again to my classic package. The $29.99 + $15 or whatever it is was still cheaper than the $75 I think they were going to charge for the classic package straight up.

Does that make sense?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
SteveMax58
College Starter

I think I understand.

Geez...that Digital Classic package sounds pricey.

I work for a different Cable co(on the engineering side), and while I dont really pay too close attention to the package pricing, I bet you would likely be able to get a better bundled package from somebody else.

Do you mind saying where you live, roughly?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

NW 'burbs of Chicago.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #11
SteveMax58
College Starter

Hmm...you might know better than me...but I believe your only choices are Comcast, Dish, DirecTV, and possibly AT&T(or at some point maybe).

If you cant find a sensible price point via Comcast, I'd suggest calling DirecTV. They typically have reselling deals(varies per area) with AT&T...so they could possibly offer a bundled deal that works for you and, when installed properly, have a very solid product.

Just my 2 cents.