Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-14-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ping: Twilight 2000 fans... (you see the new version?)

They did a new version of the Twilight 2000 game, calling in Twilight 2013. They changed the timeline a bit, now the diversionary point from history to fictional history is 2007.

Reading over the PDF version of the game now. Interesting stuff so far.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-14-2008 at 11:29 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:44 PM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm guessing these are not about the Vampire books?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Twilight 2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-15-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
Tasan
College Starter

This is probably perfect timing for them, with the popularity of Fallout 3 and all. I wish I had a group of people to play this with, or a really good PC version.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:30 AM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Might be one of the first new RPG books I've bought in a long time. Played the hell out of the original one when it first came out. Never much liked the 2nd edition of it though and still have all of the modules for 1st Edition.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:35 AM   #6
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, reading this PDF copy over, it sounds like it'd be perfect for a near "After-the-Fall" game like Fallout. Too bad we don't have interest here, sounds like a neat game to run with a group.

DriveThru has the PDF on sale (or if you want a preview of it, let me know..)
Old 11-15-2008, 03:35 AM   #7
Eilim
High School Varsity

Can't believe I missed this one, was a huge Twilight 2000 fan when I was a kid. Might have to grab a copy of this if only for reference as I am working on creating a post-apocalyptic True20 setting at the moment.

Fozzie whats your take on how they handle combat? Modern/Futuristic combat can be quite hit or miss in systems I've been checking out lately.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:06 AM   #8
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I had so much fun with this game as a teenager. This one, and one where you made yourself and deal with a Russian invasion in America (Invasion: America? I don't remember). I miss having geeky friends.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Loved TW2000 as a kid. I'd create worlds..never played with anybody, but used it as a backbone for stories & such
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I loved this game. It was a lot of fun getting into the timeline of it all.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I had so much fun with this game as a teenager. This one, and one where you made yourself and deal with a Russian invasion in America (Invasion: America? I don't remember). I miss having geeky friends.

You are probably thinking of 'The Price of Freedom' by West End Games.

Pretty much anything post-apocalyspe I tried to get. The closest to Fall Out that we could roleplay would be the game - The Morrow Project. Basically groups were placed in stasis along with caches of equipment in order to rebuild society after a nuclear war. The project leaders were killed so, the project just went unnoticed after the nuclear war until the computer kicked in 150 years later... so.. very vaultish.

As for playing Twilight 2000, I'd be interested in trying to get a game going. Actually, I'd love to get a game going of any number of RPGs.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 11-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
GrantDawg

Made me remember one of my favorite little series of roleplaying in my gamer life. I was a Captain of a unit that was in Poland right before we got stuck behind the enemy line (ie. the classic Twilight beginning module). We just received the intel that an attack might be imminent, and I had also been told there was a possibility that one of my unit was a spy. My best friend was running the game (who coincidently, is now a career Navy intelligence man who just made Chief a couple months ago) in a bit of meta-gaming suggested the spy might be a PC.

So, we where deployed to a likely area of attact to set up an ambush for any recon units. We had two anti-tank missiles along the ends of a fire-line. Just as we spot a BMP heading in our direction, my XO (being played by another player), who had been acting strangely up till this point, sudedenly jumped up and started running toward one of the anti-tank missiles. I almost pulled my pistol and shot him in the back, but instead just tackled him and pinned him to the ground. It ended up that the spy intel was a red-herring, and my XO was just told that he was very scared of what was coming, and had decided to run to the anti-tank unit to make sure they held fire to the right time.

Anyway, doesn't sound all that big, but it was the closest I'd ever come in an RPG to killing another PC without real cause.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
You are probably thinking of 'The Price of Freedom' by West End Games.

Pretty much anything post-apocalyspe I tried to get. The closest to Fall Out that we could roleplay would be the game - The Morrow Project. Basically groups were placed in stasis along with caches of equipment in order to rebuild society after a nuclear war. The project leaders were killed so, the project just went unnoticed after the nuclear war until the computer kicked in 150 years later... so.. very vaultish.

As for playing Twilight 2000, I'd be interested in trying to get a game going. Actually, I'd love to get a game going of any number of RPGs.

That was the one. As for a PA game, we used to play Gamma World, but it wasn't great. My favorite was Paranoia, a game where the challenge was not to survive, but survive longer than everyone else.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #14
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
They did a new version of the Twilight 2000 game, calling in Twilight 2013. They changed the timeline a bit, now the diversionary point from history to fictional history is 2007.

Reading over the PDF version of the game now. Interesting stuff so far.

how did you get it? all im seeing on the site is the $55 pre-order special.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

rpgnow, drivethrurpg and other folks already have it.

DriveThruRPG.com - 93 Games Studio - Twilight: 2013 Core Rules

The version I have is PDF.

Costs about $27.

If people want to run a game of WT2013 or even of the new version of Paranoia (what used to be called XP) let me know.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #16
Eilim
High School Varsity

Slight thread necromancy here it seems.

Quote:
If people want to run a game of WT2013 or even of the new version of Paranoia (what used to be called XP) let me know.

Paranoia XP, another very fun game that stole countless hours from me.

Anyways, was having a blast playing a game the other night with friends and it hit me it could easily be converted to a fun post-apoc romp with some slight tweaking.

The game is 3:16 Carnage Among The Stars , a free copy of an earlier version designed for a contest can be grabbed here : 3:16 (Ronnies version)

As originally written the game has a very Starship Troopers, WH40k feel to it. Some tinkering to the tables, changing the scope, playing around with some of the fluff... I could see this making for a very fun (albeit rules lite/Narrativist ) post-apoc game.

Only thing, with combat being the way it is, you'd never get that feel of scarce resources in a deserted world. Although, I do see some real good stories coming with a more "last bastion of humanity" feel.

Anyways, I strongly suggest this game to any fan of military oriented RPGs who can stomach rules lite games. Fast game to set up and play, with the side benefit of being an absolute blast. Definitely worth the ten bucks for me even with the simpler (but still fun) free rules available.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:24 PM   #17
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I wouldn't mind playing in a Twilight game...but I'm not sure I'd have the time.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #18
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Just remembered some things about the original. I loved Monk's narrative and the great drawing that they had. Really sparked the imagination.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #19
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnMikeBrown View Post
Just remembered some things about the original. I loved Monk's narrative and the great drawing that they had. Really sparked the imagination.

Loved the narrative parts of 2000. The pictures I liked but I found out years later that some of them were sketches of actual pictures. I was paging through a Vietnam War book and I saw a picture that looked familar and pulled out my Twilight 2000 stuff and sure enough, same pic just done in pencil from the real life pic.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #20
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The narrative is what hooked me.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #21
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

If there is a demand to do a 1st Edition T2K campaign, I'd be willing to be the GM. Probably would need 4-5 people and would swing it over (presumably) to the Dynasty section.

I don't you will necessarily have to have played Twilight 2000 before, but you'll just need to operate with the assumption that the alternate history of Twilight 2000 did indeed happen. (There was a war between NATO and the Warsaw Pact in the late 90's)

Not looking for something hardcore where there are 100 postings a day, just looking for something a little more free flowing where people could come and go as needed.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #22
Eilim
High School Varsity

Bah, you bastards.. All the Twilight talk finally got to me. Not only did it cause me to dig out my old books but I also broke down and picked up a copy of 2013.

Aside from a few eyebrow raises over the new timeline, it does have me a bit hooked. As soon as I can wrap my head around things a bit better I'll definitely be statting up some characters as the creation process has me pretty stoked.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #23
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilim View Post
Bah, you bastards.. All the Twilight talk finally got to me. Not only did it cause me to dig out my old books but I also broke down and picked up a copy of 2013.

Aside from a few eyebrow raises over the new timeline, it does have me a bit hooked. As soon as I can wrap my head around things a bit better I'll definitely be statting up some characters as the creation process has me pretty stoked.

If I remember correctly, the character creation was pretty cool in the old system. Not as good as Traveler (not a great game, but it was fun making characters), but good.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #24
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Not as good as Traveler (not a great game, but it was fun making characters)

Screw characters. I spent way too much of my childhood and college years (trivia bit: I used to game with some of the guys that wrote modules for TW2K) designing starships and vehicles. I wrote a program that would generate populated sectors and print them out.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #25
Eilim
High School Varsity

I've actually been thinking about creating a character generator for 2013. You have to love any creation system that you could possibly kill off your character before you even start gaming if you push your luck.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #26
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'd be game.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #27
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Eilim: Please do!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #28
Eilim
High School Varsity

Quote:
Eilim: Please do!

I'm sure I'll get to it eventually (Although secretly hoping someone beats me to it. ) , just bogged down creating Fantasy Ground II rulesets at the moment. Even had a few thoughts of doing the same for 2013, but that wouldn't be for a long while.

I noticed Keith Taylor mentioning he contacted Hero Labs. Given how long it took them to get a working M&M module, I wouldn't hold my breath. One thing I did find though was a post where someone put up a character creation spreadsheet here. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet.