Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Guitar Hero to charge for user-generated content?

Bobby Kotick: Activision Eyes Subscription Fees For Guitar Hero World Tour User-Created Songs

"Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard, noted during today's quarterly earnings conference call that the publisher may begin charging for user-generated songs uploaded through Guitar Hero World Tour's GH Tunes service. Kotick has previously stated that GH Tunes has the "potential" to be one of the "credible alternatives to iTunes."

.... Wow. ActiBlizzard are certainly milking it for all their worth. This is just.. It's like every few months, they look at the series and go "have we run this into the ground yet?" and since the answer's no.. come up with something to hasten the decline of the series into a steeper dive.

And that's a real good buisness plan, charge people for crappy Midi-compilations that you can't even put vocals to! (edit: Oh, and let's not forget if it resembles real music in any way, it gets taken down for copyright violation!)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-06-2008 at 07:19 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh, that wasn't even the stupidest thing he said that DAY!

MTV Multiplayer » Why Activision Let Go Of ‘Ghostbusters’ And ‘50 Cent’ Games

Kotick responded not by addressing any of the games by name, but by talking about Activision’s publishing philosophy. The games Activision Blizzard didn’t pick up, he said, “don’t have the potential to be exploited every year on every platform with clear sequel potential and have the potential to become $100 million dollar franchises. … I think, generally, our strategy has been to focus… on the products that have those attributes and characteristics, the products that we know [that] if we release them today, we’ll be working on them 10 years from now.”

Damn. That's some prime stupidity right there! "If we can't make ninteen sequels out of it, and get suckers.. er.. customers to buy it on multiple platforms each year until it devolves into a derivative mess and we get called the biggest shovelware company in the world, I don't want to hear about it! Now if you excuse me I have to milk out another six Guitar Hero games this year.. and next year, we're bringing Tony Hawk back! You think we over did his games last time out? You ain't SEEN NOTHING YET!"
Old 11-06-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I can appreciate the candor though.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Arctic Blast
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Bobby Kotick: Activision Eyes Subscription Fees For Guitar Hero World Tour User-Created Songs

"Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard, noted during today's quarterly earnings conference call that the publisher may begin charging for user-generated songs uploaded through Guitar Hero World Tour's GH Tunes service. Kotick has previously stated that GH Tunes has the "potential" to be one of the "credible alternatives to iTunes."

.... Wow. ActiBlizzard are certainly milking it for all their worth. This is just.. It's like every few months, they look at the series and go "have we run this into the ground yet?" and since the answer's no.. come up with something to hasten the decline of the series into a steeper dive.

And that's a real good buisness plan, charge people for crappy Midi-compilations that you can't even put vocals to! (edit: Oh, and let's not forget if it resembles real music in any way, it gets taken down for copyright violation!)

Good grief. Couple this with the fact that anyone who had a busted instrument had to pay shipping there and back to have it fixed (unlike Rock Band stuff, where it was completely paid for) and I'd like to thank Activision for helping me choose Rock Band 2 for my band gaming needs.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote