Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

Winter window plastic

Home question...

My windows appear to suck. I can feel cold even now (not even freezing temperature) when I'm by them, so I want to seal them up somehow for when it gets -40C here.

I know of four options:
1. Plastic inside.
2. Plastic outside.
3. Caulking.
4. Change windows.

For #2 and 4, there's not enough time or money... The plastic outside needs wooden frames I believe and I don't have the time or money for all that. Changing windows I haven't looked into, since I believe it's too late and would be way too expensive.

For #1... how does this work? You buy some special plastic at a hardware store and tape it on...?

For #3, I'm not sure how this really works... Do you seal the window and then scrape away the caulk in the spring?

Thanks!

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Telle
College Starter

There's kits available for putting up plastic on the inside. You can find them at the hardware store and even Walmart.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

re: the inside plastic, you have pre cut sizes. They more or less bond to the window, and you use a hair dryer to seal them.

I've used both the pre-cut stuff, and just cut large sheets of plastic. the Pre cut stuff is easier to work with. But both are going to make a pretty big difference in keeping you warm.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is there a downside to the inside plastic? Hard to remove?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I am no pro, but my house is 50+ years old and although I have replaced some of the windows with weatherproof windows.. I still have some that are old and not very good in the winter. They let alot of cold air seep through the cracks of the windows on the sides and around the frame.

I took plastic, and taped it over the entire window and frame with some adhesive to keep the plastic from bubbling up or coming off. I then used small nails in strategic spots to hold the plastic down. What it does is keeps the air from seeping in through the frame and where the window does not close well.

It is not as sound as a storm window obviously and something only for short term. If I go in those rooms where the old windows have plastic over them, it does still feel a little cooler, but no more draft or 20 degree temperature differences anymore.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
Telle
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

It can be a pain to put up. The plastic in the kits is a bit on the thin side and is easy to accidentally tear.

We've also used "seal and peal" caulk. Basically put it around the edges of the windows and come spring peal it off.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Caulking is permanent, you are just replacing the old caulking with new caulking.

The window plastic for the inside, you are basically taping the plastic to the interior window and then using a blow dryer to shrink the plastic down and it creates a barrier so air/window doesn't come through.

Although windows being cold is different than feeling air around your windows.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

No.
Usualy it is put up with double stick tape.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

The only downside is that is that if you have have wood window frames, it could peel off some of the varnish.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I don't know what type of window you have, inside window plastic does not work for the ones I still have to put up plastic for. Because of the way the window opens and how it sits within a frame, the only option I had would have been to secure it to the wall itself.

Either way, the goal with plastic is to seal off the openings around the frame and in between the window and frame for cold air to seep (or gush) in. It does not do much for keeping the window itself from getting cold, but stopping the cold airflow does help a considerable amount.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thanks I'll look more at my windows. I don't know them well yet.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Does anyone have window plastic and cats?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #13
Telle
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post

We found the two don't mix very well.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #14
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Caulking is permanent, you are just replacing the old caulking with new caulking.

Seal n Peel is not permanent caulking, its a silicone gell that dries to a rubbery consistancy and pulls off without much effort. Its about 4 bucks a tube and will seal 4-8 windows or one reaaaalllly bad door (I don't have THIS problem anymore) very snugly. When it warms up you just peel it away and open your windows. no muss no fuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post

If you have cats follow my plan at the bottom of this post, you have to put your plastic outside the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telle View Post
We found the two don't mix very well.
Gah, no kidding.....*sigh*

Ok, for those with ancient houses and drafty windows there is a very good way to seal them up as long as you are not worried about poking tiny holes in your window trim.

Buy a roll of 4 mil sheet plastic, make sure its at least as wide as your widest window and get enough length for all your needs.

Second, either buy felt weather stripping (comes in rolls for fairly cheap) OR do what my mother used to do and get cardboard boxes and strip them into strips about a half/3/4 of an inch wide and as long as you can make them.

Cut the plastic to fit your window with a few inches of overlap all around.

using a staple gun, staple the cardboard or felt strips over the edges of the plastic. Keep the staples about an inch apart.

if you have cats PUT THIS ON THE OUTSIDE or it won;t last a week......

come spring you just yank it all off and throw it away. you can seal up your entire home for very little cash and it does wonders for your heating bill.

I grew up in a 100+ year ol home and this was how we kept the house warm every winter. its a bit of effort, but the savings are huge.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #15
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

We did this to our apartment in Chicago a few years back (#1, the plastic). Easy to put up, easy to take down, and definitely made a difference. I'd recommend it especially if you don't have the time/money for new windows.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #16
chesapeake
College Starter

I used to use the indoor window plastic when I rented a drafty, old DC townhouse. Because of the way the windows were set up, I often had to put the double-sided tape on the wall, but it worked well. When I pulled the tape off in the spring, some flecks of paint would occasionally come off, too. It was a small price to pay.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote