Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #51
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
You have no right to call me ignorant, I'm entitled to my opinion of their religion and the way they choose to spread their word. If you don't like my opinion thats to bad, but don't call me ignorant, thats just unbecoming.
Not sure if you realize it, but MG is Mormon (at least he was the last time I checked).

Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #52
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
no problem, and anything I may have said that was offensive wasn't meant that way.

I just don't understand the method they choose to spread their message. It seems it does far more harm then good. Not only because of the physical attacks suffered ( which IMO are deplorable) but because of the stereotypes it creates.

It almost turns their religion into kind of a joke. When I think of people going door to door selling something I think of a slimy snake oil salesman, is that really the assosiation they want?

It worked for a lot of religions and this in the past. It's why it hasn't changed. But a lot o the time now, besides just knocking they get a lot of referrals to work with to. They perform a lot of community service as well where they are at helping people. I have had friends not have one conversion their entire time on their mission but you know what, their friendships that they have built with those in the community have been very strong and they go back after their mission and college and help where they can. It's definitely different.

But yes, most of the time it is that way and it is a way they are seen. It's why they get the negative image like the Jehova's Witnesses (Which to me was an interesting discussion I had several years back with a couple of them.) on the door to door tracking they do.

The mormon church is known for their weirdness in a lot of ways, but they are also known for their charitable work in the world. Generally they are the first to respond in providing food, clothing and such to countries that need it in times of emergency and what not. They will also help non members locally if it is needed.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #53
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Not sure if you realize it, but MG is Mormon (at least he was the last time I checked).

I am but extremely inactive....the catholic in me rose up and showed me wine wasn't to bad LOL! (Its the word of wisdom where I am the weakest at following, oh and something about church on Sundays....Sundays are for football.)