Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Little Big Planet

Surprised I haven't seen a thread on this yet. It is only available on the PS3.

So far I'm liking it a lot. I haven't created a level yet (this may be the best part of the game - user creatable content) but I feel it matches up to the hype for the most part.

Gameplay is a 3d mario bros so it has that satisfying feeling when you play a well-designed level. The real-time physics does mean that it isn't exactly like a side scrolling mario bros game.

The graphics are awesome and the sackboy is both funny and cute. Adding a second player is as easy as turning on a second controller and my 8 year old was able to pick up the game in no time at all and we had a blast running the levels together.

I don't like how the game handles the moving back and forth in the 2d-3d space. The levels are 3d but you are only in one of 3 or 4 depths as you run along and when sections change depths it isn't always seamless and simple. Sometimes you have to wait for your sackboy to "hop" to the next depth and that can throw off your rhythm.

You gain points by breaking these glass bubble which happens with a satisfying crunch sound. You gather stickers and accessories and items that you can use to populate/decorate levels and dress up your sackboy.

I was in the level creator for a few tutorials and even though I didn't create anything, I saw how it is done and it is very intuitive and simple with the controller (something I didn't think possible).

My little experience with the multiplayer portion (play a level with somebody online) was super lagged and didn't work as I had hoped but maybe hooking up with a friend which yield much better results.

Overall, good purchase.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think there's been server problems since launch. The game looks interesting, but I just haven't had time to play my PS3 at all lately so I'm not buying anything for now.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'll get this game soon, I've been looking forward to it for some time now. It just happened to come out on the same day as Fallout 3. Anyway the longer I wait the more good levels will be available to download.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
DanGarion
Coordinator

I thought this game was postponed till December because it had some stuff regarding the Koran in the lyrics of one of it's songs...?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Arctic Blast
n00b

Don't own a PS3, but I'm interested to see if they've managed to pull this off, because it's an ambitious concept.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:44 AM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'll probably pick this up in a week or so. I've been so busy with the games already out that I don't have time yet for LBP. However, I did play the beta for a bit and thought the game was great even in a beta form. By the time I get it in a week or two, there should be some excellent game levels coming out of the homebrew creators.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
Don't own a PS3, but I'm interested to see if they've managed to pull this off, because it's an ambitious concept.

I'm planning on eventually picking up this title (along with a few others, such as Left 4 Dead). Fallout 3, however, was going for $52 at my local Fry's, and that kind of got in the way of me grabbing this one. One of my buddies seems to be enjoying this game immensely for the time being.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I thought this game was postponed till December because it had some stuff regarding the Koran in the lyrics of one of it's songs...?

It was only delay a week or so for this. I picked mine up on the weekend at Gamestop.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
It was only delay a week or so for this. I picked mine up on the weekend at Gamestop.

Have you played online yet with this title? Are there some hiccups that may/may not be addressed for playing with friends?
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:56 AM   #10
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
Have you played online yet with this title? Are there some hiccups that may/may not be addressed for playing with friends?

I tried the online once and I had a very strange thing happen (the game seemed to zip by in fast motion - i was watching the other player go through the level but I was unable to do anything) and haven't tried it since.