Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Should the World Series be held at a neutral site in the future?
No: tradition works best. 58 96.67%
Yes: follow the NFL's lead and hold the Series in warm climates or domed stadiums. 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
SackAttack
Head Coach

The World Series and neutral locations

With all of the talk about last night's game and whether or not the game should have been ended after five innings with the Phillies declared champions, the question springs to mind: should the World Series continue to be held in the cities of the participants, or would it be better to follow the NFL template and hold the Series in cities with warmer/drier weather or roofs to minimize the impact of weather?

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
With all of the talk about last night's game and whether or not the game should have been ended after five innings with the Phillies declared champions, the question springs to mind: should the World Series continue to be held in the cities of the participants, or would it be better to follow the NFL template and hold the Series in cities with warmer/drier weather or roofs to minimize the impact of weather?

Has to be held in the participants cities. The Superbowl is able to be held anywhere because it's a two week event. Would the Phillies/Rays really garner a few, if any, sellouts if it was being played in Arizona?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If it were one game, then neutral location would work. But no way would it work in a series.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Why would anyone in their right mind want to move the WS to a neutral site? It's not a one-off event like the SB and it's not as though the scenario from last night occurs on a regular basis.

The whole topic borders on the absurd AFAIC.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola - Owners would veto the crap out of it. Why cut in another owner on revenue? If the Phillies can sellout three games in Philly, it's all their money. Now they'd have to split money with the Rays, who maybe can't sellout if it's in Tampa, plus the park the game is being held in, whoever the owner is, is getting a slice.

It just has too much working against it.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

This would not work, in my eyes. The World Series is 7 games, not one. It's not the spectacle the Super Bowl is. The Super Bowl is just the culmination of a weeks worth of entertainment.

You put a Phillies/Rays WS at Petco Park for 7 games, you're alienating two fan bases, the only two fan bases that really care at all about who wins.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I also wear affliction clothing.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'd be all for starting the season like two weeks earlier and holding some neutral site games for Northern teams to avoid potential snowstorms. That's about it.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I also wear affliction clothing.

I'm the style guru of FOFC. Thanks for playing.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
MikeVic
Head Coach

No way. I don't see how this makes sense.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
This would not work, in my eyes. The World Series is 7 games, not one. It's not the spectacle the Super Bowl is. The Super Bowl is just the culmination of a weeks worth of entertainment.

You put a Phillies/Rays WS at Petco Park for 7 games, you're alienating two fan bases, the only two fan bases that really care at all about who wins.

It wouldn't work .. like your Xbox controller.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #12
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
It wouldn't work .. like your Xbox controller.

I hope you have some excuses ready on a laminated sheet or something after we come into the Big House and annihilate you
Old 10-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I would argue that the Super Bowl should not be at a neutral site, if it weren't for the fact that it is one game. That is the only reason it works for the Super Bowl. The idea that it is always played in a dome or warm climate is absurd.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I hope you have some excuses ready on a laminated sheet or something after we come into the Big House and annihilate you

Set phasers on Annihilate!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They could generate so much more cash by playing this Sunday-Saturday on a neutral field. With all the rediculous jacked up prices on StubHub, I highly doubt the common fan can even attend anymore. And I'd much rather the league make more money on tickets than scalper fans.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #16
RedKingGold
College Starter

Dream Scenario: Start the season on May 1st and end it on October 1st; using as many regularly scheduled double-headers as needed.

Will never happen, but this would be nice to see.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Any way we could make polls pop ups?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #18
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They could generate so much more cash by playing this Sunday-Saturday on a neutral field. With all the rediculous jacked up prices on StubHub, I highly doubt the common fan can even attend anymore. And I'd much rather the league make more money on tickets than scalper fans.

And who exactly is going to pay those prices to go see the Rays and the Phillies duke it out in San Diego?

Old 10-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #19
molson
General Manager

Way too dramatic a change in response to something that hasn't happened in baseball history until now.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #20
digamma
Torchbearer

As others have said, it's not about tradition, it's about being able to fill a stadium seven times over 10 days.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #21
molson
General Manager

I'm sure you fill any baseball stadium in America for a World Series. Sox/Yankee/Philly/Cub/etc fans would fly to wherever it was to be played. And most Sox fans (and probably fans of other teams) have learned that its cheaper, even with the cost of airfare/hotel, to see your team on the road in some instances.

But to move games away from these places because of potential weather issues is ridiculous.

Last edited by molson : 10-28-2008 at 04:35 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #22
JediKooter
Coordinator

No reason at all to have the World Series played at a neutral site. Like others have said, it's not a 1 game event. It's at least 4 games with the potential for 7 games, so having a neutral site doesn't make much sense, plus, I like the tradition of it being played in the NL and AL champs cities.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #23
rowech
Pro Starter

Here's the bottom line...

Football fields are universal dimensions...ballparks aren't. Teams are often designed because of the way their ballpark plays. To take away that advantage to play at a neutral park is a terrible idea.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #24
samifan24
Pro Starter

It's a tradition for a reason.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #25
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

He'll be too depressed after we take them down in the Big House.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #26
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I would argue that the Super Bowl should not be at a neutral site, if it weren't for the fact that it is one game. That is the only reason it works for the Super Bowl. The idea that it is always played in a dome or warm climate is absurd.

AGREED 100%
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 PM   #27
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Football fields are universal dimensions...ballparks aren't. Teams are often designed because of the way their ballpark plays. To take away that advantage to play at a neutral park is a terrible idea.

I made this point n the MLB thread last night
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:38 AM   #28
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Neutral site World Series is a terrible idea. The Super Bowl is one game, WS is potentially 7 games. It's an overreaction becaus eit isn't like this happens every World Series. In fact this is the first time that a World Series game has not completed 9 innings. A better idea would be to go to 154 games and have the World Series a couple weeks earlier.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:51 AM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

all i have to say is: domed stadiums? domed-baseball isn't real baseball. fuck that shit.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #30
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post

Witness the rainfest that was the Indy-Chicago SB in Miami.

I'd love to see a SB played at Soldiers' Field or Lambeau IN THE SNOW.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:17 AM   #31
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

While I agree with most of the sentiment, if the Super Bowl was played on more than the handful of fields it is played on, there is a huge difference between turf and grass, indoor and outdoor.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #32
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:

The biggest advantage of home field is batting last, not the park dimensions.

If there weren't as many off days in October as there are in the entire regular season this wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by Fighter of Foo : 10-29-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #33
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Definite NO - I've been to two World Series games and I'll never forget them.

I'm all for a 150 game season and the WC series should be a 7 game series instead of 5.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote