Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

New York Times Endorsements for president since 1860

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...4-endorse.html

Interesting link, haven't looked at it super close but the one WTF moment to me was the endorsement of Wendell Wilkie over FDR in 1940.

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
wade moore
lolzcat

Great fodder for the folks that love to talk about how biased the NY Times is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Great fodder for the folks that love to talk about how biased the NY Times is.

Carter twice then Mondale and Dukakis- you'd almost think the times is a liberal paper.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Is it? They haven't endorsed a R in over 50 years.

Has there been a R worth endorsing in the last 50 years?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

So FDR was President for four terms? I guess the two term max wasn't always in place?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

Yup, it was put into place after he died...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So FDR was President for four terms? I guess the two term max wasn't always in place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Yup, it was put into place after he died...

More specifically, it was put into place *because* of him. George Washington set the informal standard by declining to serve more than two terms, and no President after him challenged that, even though nothing said they couldn't. It was a deferential thing.

Then FDR ran for office four times and did some other things that kind of pissed Congress off, like threatening to pack the Supreme Court if he didn't get his way on some of the New Deal bills, and they were happy to slam that barn door shut so that they didn't have to go through that again.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
Radii
Head Coach

Heh, check out the quote from the 1964 endorsement of Johnson vs Goldwater:

"Rarely in modern times and never in recent years has there been a campaign in which the issues facing the nation have been so inadequately discussed by the two leading candidates; rarely has a campaign added so little to public knowledge; rarely has its end been so welcome."

Ouch!

Last edited by Radii : 10-24-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

And no other president before him sought office after two terms in deference to George Washington, who declined to run for a third term.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
Tigercat
College Starter

Those nutjobs, advocating throwing one's vote away with an independent party in 1896.

I like that one of the supporting reasons for voting for Lincoln was his "manliness."
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

I was about to persecute your grade school teachers for not doing their job. Then I realized you were from Canada.

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 10-24-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Has there been a R worth endorsing in the last 50 years?

\m/
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #13
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
I like that one of the supporting reasons for voting for Lincoln was his "manliness."

Probably as good a reason as most people give nowadays to vote for a particular candidate
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
bryce
High School Varsity

I'd be interested to see this for other papers as well. The Dallas paper just endorsed McCain, which shocked me. Even though it's in Texas, the DMN seems pretty liberal to me (relative to complete neutrality, if not other papers - as a paper, it obviously is going to lean left, though it may not lean left as much as other papers.)
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Interestingly it seemed one of the reasons the Times backed Wilkie (in addition to they thought his fiscal policy was saner) was because they abhored Roosevelt's running for a 3rd team and messing with the tradition.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #16
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Those nutjobs, advocating throwing one's vote away with an independent party in 1896.

That's what his boyfriend liked about him, too.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #17
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
That's what his boyfriend liked about him, too.

Ha, hey, if its one thing I know about history, the further back you go the more only the manliest of men are willing to indulge on some man on man lovin'.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #18
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
I'd be interested to see this for other papers as well. The Dallas paper just endorsed McCain, which shocked me. Even though it's in Texas, the DMN seems pretty liberal to me (relative to complete neutrality, if not other papers - as a paper, it obviously is going to lean left, though it may not lean left as much as other papers.)

In my time in Dallas, the Dallas morning news usually was a hair to the right of most of my feelings on several things. I don't see Mccain's endorsement as a suprise here at all, just the same as I don't see Obama's endorsement by Chicago or New York or Boston papers as a suprise. (I assume Boston Globe has endorsed Obama, if not they will eventually)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #19
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Carter twice then Mondale and Dukakis- you'd almost think the times is a liberal paper.
Yeah, but look at how many Republicans they've endorsed - Lincoln, Ulysses, Hayes, Garfield, McKinley, Taft, Wilkie, Dewey and Ike.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #20
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Yeah, but look at how many Republicans they've endorsed - Lincoln, Ulysses, Hayes, Garfield, McKinley, Taft, Wilkie, Dewey and Ike.

Eh, what a bunch of RINO's.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #21
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Why is it ok for newspapers to endorse candidates? Shouldn't they just be reporting what they see and then throwing in some Op Ed pieces if they feel a need to provide opinion?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #22
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Just wanted to point out that Teddy Roosevelt ran for a third term in 1912 since he disliked Taft so much. He ran under the famed Bullmoose party.

Roosevelt pulled many of the moderate republicans to form this party and in my opinion, though many could disagree, this was the beginning of the Republican party having a much more conservative ideology.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #23
MikeVic
Head Coach

There was one year listed there (forgot which, since I looked earlier today) where a Democrat guy beat two Republicans? What's that all about? How can you have two candidates from the same party?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #24
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

from 68 and 72... pretty interesting...

68--on Spiro and the wisdom of appointing him... (he was outside of watergate, but rather dirty on his own doing... but hey, a Michigan boy benefited from this...)... and then 72-- Nixon's lack of principle...

I'm sure they messed up as well, but these two comments seem the most interesting to me...
kserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #25
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Re: Bill Clinton in 1996:

"The Presidency he once dreamed is still within his reach if he brings the requsite integrity to the next four years."

Heh.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #26
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
Interesting link, haven't looked at it super close but the one WTF moment to me was the endorsement of Wendell Wilkie over FDR in 1940.

It's hard to believe, but Wilkie was someone who actually had less experience than Obama.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 10-24-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:32 PM   #27
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

When I was learning to drive, my Grandma told me something akin to "You won't know about Wendel Wilkie; he ran for President years ago. But one thing I remember about him is that he didn't drive because he said that he would get to distracted on the road." And then she would emphasize that I should not get distracted while driving.

So I guess what I mean is, Wendel Wilkie saved my life, so I think that the NYT was right to endorse him.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:32 PM   #28
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
Just wanted to point out that Teddy Roosevelt ran for a third term in 1912 since he disliked Taft so much. He ran under the famed Bullmoose party.

Roosevelt pulled many of the moderate republicans to form this party and in my opinion, though many could disagree, this was the beginning of the Republican party having a much more conservative ideology.

The moderates rejoined the Republican Party soon afterwards. People tend to forget this, but Hoover, in addition to being somewhat of a hero for his actions during and after World War 1 in providing humanitarian aid, was a moderate.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #29
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
It's hard to believe, but Wilkie was someone who actually had less experience than Obama.

Experience is only important if you are running for vice-president.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #30
Subby
lolzcat

Most of those guys didn't have experience being President.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #31
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
More specifically, it was put into place *because* of him. George Washington set the informal standard by declining to serve more than two terms, and no President after him challenged that, even though nothing said they couldn't. It was a deferential thing.

Then FDR ran for office four times and did some other things that kind of pissed Congress off, like threatening to pack the Supreme Court if he didn't get his way on some of the New Deal bills, and they were happy to slam that barn door shut so that they didn't have to go through that again.

And the Republicans, by pushing through the 22nd Amendment, shot themselves in the foot, IMO. They have had two presidents since (Eisenhower and Reagan) who would have cruised to third (and possibly even fourth) terms in office.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #32
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Reagan, yeah, I could see a third term. A fourth would be out since his Alzheimer's disclosure was in the early 90s.

However, I don't think Eisenhower would have been an obvious winner in the 1960 election. His late presidency was weighed down by the U-2 shootdown and subsequent buttwhipping by Khrushchev on the world stage in 1960. It's very possible that such an incident might've ruined his change at a third term since the incident happened in the months leading up to the election.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #33
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Eisenhower left office with an approval rating in the high 50's. I believe that only one sitting president has lost an election with an approval rating above 50% (Bush Sr.).
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:35 PM   #34
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post

Couldn't the same be said about Abraham Lincoln?
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote