View Poll Results: Most Influential Match in Wrestling History
WM III - Andre vs Hogan 25 60.98%
Survior Series 97 - Bret Hart vs HBK 13 31.71%
Other 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wrestling Poll: Most influential match in wrestling history?

Being unemployed as I am right now, I've had a lot of free time to do, well, nothing. So I've been watching a lot of WWE 24/7 and I got to thinking as a promo ran for amost influential moments in wrestling history, which match is the most influential?

I feel like there are only two real options, but I will add other for people who feel differently.

So the choices

#1- WrestleMania III: Andre the Giant vs Hulk Hogan

Obviously this is what made Hulk a legend and he soared through the 80's thanks to this match. Millions upon millions of dollars were made for everyone involved in the WWF and wrestling started becoming mainstream.

#2 - Survivor Series 97: Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart, aka The Montreal Screwjob

WWF was floundering, and WCW was going in for the kill when Vince McMahon stunned the world but double crossing Bret, and sending WWF into it's Attitude Era. Vince became the most hated heel in wrestling, and Steve Austin became one of the biggest stars ever. This angle set off the events that made Vince McMahon and honest to goodness billionaire and was the basis of the most exciting period of wrestling ever, imo.

So for me I am going with the Hart/HBK match because without it we probably don't get Austin, Rock, Foley, etc as the amazing stars they became.

So I ask, what is your choice? Or is it one I missed?

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

The Screw Job made Vince McMahon, turn into Mr. McMahon one of the greatest heels in modern wrestling. His feud with Stone Cold really helped their company.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

For better or worse, Andre & Hogan, not even close IMO.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
molson
General Manager

Andre/Hogan was the biggest money-making draw of all time, but I don't see it as particularly influential. Hogan was already a legend, and would have been a legend if Andre retired as a face a year earlier.

Here's some other candidates not mentioned yet.

-Austin v. Hart double-turn from Wrestlemania
People forget that this was maybe a shade before the "attitude era" started in the WWF. This match gave as a clear hint of where the company was going, it was a huge success, and everyone was excited.

-Steamboat/Savage
Maybe a little overrated and overshadowed in quality since WM3, but if you were a WWF-only fan at the time, this match might have introduced you to the concept of "good wrestling", and proved that if you have an excellent storyline behind it, the masses can get behind good wrestling. Maybe it didn't influence the WWF all that much in the years immediately following, but it was big eye-opener to younger fans like me who grew up on The Junkyard Dog and Hillbilly Jim.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Andre/Hogan was the biggest money-making draw of all time, but I don't see it as particularly influential. Hogan was already a legend, and would have been a legend if Andre retired as a face a year earlier.

I think it was big for Wrestlemania/WWF though. Having two characters that non wrestling hardcores all over could understand, the all American superstar versus the foreign giant. That match made Wrestlemania, IMO. Without that match, I am not sure Wrestlemania becomes much more for WWF than Starrcade would be for NWA/WCW.

Random aside: it would be kinda cool if WWE made a Starrcade PPV.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:

-Steamboat/Savage
Maybe a little overrated and overshadowed in quality since WM3, but if you were a WWF-only fan at the time, this match might have introduced you to the concept of "good wrestling", and proved that if you have an excellent storyline behind it, the masses can get behind good wrestling. Maybe it didn't influence the WWF all that much in the years immediately following, but it was big eye-opener to younger fans like me who grew up on The Junkyard Dog and Hillbilly Jim.

Funny you mention that because I watched this match and keep wondering why people said this is the great match of all time. Atleast the intercontinental title was worth something in those days now its just a trinket.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
I think it was big for Wrestlemania/WWF though. Having two characters that non wrestling hardcores all over could understand, the all American superstar versus the foreign giant. That match made Wrestlemania, IMO. Without that match, I am not sure Wrestlemania becomes much more for WWF than Starrcade would be for NWA/WCW.

Random aside: it would be kinda cool if WWE made a Starrcade PPV.

Not quite the same but in January a best of Starrcade DVD is coming out. Definetly will pick that up.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Funny you mention that because I watched this match and keep wondering why people said this is the great match of all time. Atleast the intercontinental title was worth something in those days now its just a trinket.

If you watch wrestlemania I, then II, and III and get to that match, you can see why it was so respected at the time (competing against the likes of David Sammartino v. Brutice Beefcake, etc) And it's still very fun to watch, though pretty short. Though technically, not anything better than what you'd see the last 10 years on RAW/Nitro from the smaller guys (except with an awesome storyline behind it)

Last edited by molson : 10-22-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Andre/Hogan was the biggest money-making draw of all time, but I don't see it as particularly influential.

This seems like a good place for me to explain my earlier short answer since it really cuts to the heart of where I'm coming from.

I believe the money making aspect of it was the largest single influence on everything in pro wrestling that followed that moment. It proved the potential profitability in hitting the mainstream with two characters who couldn't wrestle their way out of a paper bag. And virtually everything in the business since that point has been colored by that realization.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #10
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

When Terry Gordy slammed the cage door on Kerry Von Erichs head, turning the Freebirds against the Von Erich's. My God, don't you remember. The world changed forever.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
When Terry Gordy slammed the cage door on Kerry Von Erichs head, turning the Freebirds against the Von Erich's. My God, don't you remember. The world changed forever.

And if I remember, on that same card Kamala the Ugandan Giant defeated Iceman King Parsons.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #12
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Kamala was too much for the Butt Butt.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #13
molson
General Manager

How about a cateogry for negatively influential matches:

-Mass Transit/D-Von Dudley v. The Gangstas. It made ECW look like snuff film company and probably cost them mainstream acceptance from tv and ppv outlets.

-Steve Austin v. Owen Hart (Austin breaks his neck). It didn't slow down Austin's career any, but he certainly wasn't the same in the ring after that, it cost him years in his career, and probably helped lead to the WWE's "safe style".

-Owen Hart v. Godfather - deflating for the industry (if this can count as a match)

-Kerry Von Erich v. Jerry Lawler. More for the politics behind the match which eventually helped put 3 promotions out of business. Maybe that was inevitable anyway, those companies were just horribly run during that time, we'll never know if they had a chance for survival with a better strategy and with an actual vision for the future. Also revealed Kerry (even more) as an addict - he cuts his arm up before the match even starts.

-Booker T v. Buff Bagwell. The first and perhaps only "WCW" match on RAW. This was back when when WWE was trying to give WCW it's own timeslot somewhere. The match was so horrible, and the fans hated it so much, that it changed the entire invasion angle.

-That WCW/NWA PPV main event right after Ric Flair left for the WWF the first time. The "We want Flair" match. It kind of killed their momentum for a while right when the WWF was starting to fade. They didn't recover until Eric Bischoff took over.

Last edited by molson : 10-22-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Macho Man vs DDP...#34
Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

how about changing the title of this thread to most influential wwf/wwe match of all time?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #16
PilotMan
Head Coach

I don't know. I am kinda old school so I gotta think that it was Jake Milliman v. Col. Debeers in the Great American Turkey Hunt.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #17
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The earliest "big" wrestling match memory for me was Fritz Von Erich's final match, defeating King Kong Bundy in a match at Texas Stadium (unheard of at the time for a wrestling match in a venue of that size) to win the world title. That was back in '81 or '82.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 10-22-2008 at 11:08 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #18
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'd argue that Hogan and the WWF were already pretty mainstream by WM3. They were already doing the MTV crossovers, etc. If anything, this was the last mega-match of that boom era, not the first.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #19
TLK
Pro Starter

How about your most absolute favorite random match....

The Gangstas vs. The Samoan Gangsta Party. I'm not sure if this was even a match, more than a beat-down..... but it was fun. Joey Styles sold the drama... sorry, Ed Kowalczyk. ECW during that time was just great.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #20
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
How about your most absolute favorite random match....

The Gangstas vs. The Samoan Gangsta Party. I'm not sure if this was even a match, more than a beat-down..... but it was fun. Joey Styles sold the drama... sorry, Ed Kowalczyk. ECW during that time was just great.

You have to love the internet, but curse shitty overdubbing.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #21
Joe
Pro Starter

I will disagree and say that the most influential match was Hulk Hogan vs. Iron Sheik. Just look at the WWF product before that match and then after.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #22
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I will disagree and say that the most influential match was Hulk Hogan vs. Iron Sheik. Just look at the WWF product before that match and then after.
Not a bad call. The original wrestlemania main event could be a contender too.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #23
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Good point. At the very least that's the most important moment/booking decision in history.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #24
DeToxRox
Head Coach

But honestly, all of the matches that have had the most impact in wrestling are basically WWF/E matches.

I guess the one I forgot is Bash at the Beach, Hall & Nash vs Luger/Sting/Macho when Hogan turned on WCW.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #25
DeToxRox
Head Coach

My favorite random match was the Public Enemy vs Gangstas weapons cage match.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #26
molson
General Manager

I've always been amused by the WM2 football players battle royal. Just something about Andre the Giant beating up Russ Francis. My favorite "bad" match.

Last edited by molson : 10-23-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #27
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
But honestly, all of the matches that have had the most impact in wrestling are basically WWF/E matches.

I guess the one I forgot is Bash at the Beach, Hall & Nash vs Luger/Sting/Macho when Hogan turned on WCW.

Actually that event was one of the most influential if not the most. Hogan's worth increased in my eyes as I remembered that moment. Can you imagine if it was Sting who turned his back on WCW instead of Hogan. Not as big an impact in my opinion.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:08 PM   #28
BYU 14
Coordinator

Maybe I am too old school, but I go with the cage match between Jimmy Snuka and Bob Backlund at MSG where Snuka missed the dive from the top of the cage. Spots like that are common now, but that was insane for the time period.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #29
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

January 4, 1999 - WCW Monday Nitro
World Heavyweight Championship - Hollywood Hogan vs. Kevin Nash

The fingerpoke of doom match. Many point to this as the culmination of everything wrong with WCW in the turn of the new millenium and started the downward spiral that led to the company being bought out by the WWE, changing the wrestling landscape for good.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #30
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

dola

on the same night, on WWF Monday Night RAW, Mick Foley won the WWF Championship from the Rock. Tony Schiavone revealed this on the Nitro broadcast and said "Ugh, that's gonna put some butts in the seats". Several hundred thousand viewers switched channels to watch Foley win the title.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
January 4, 1999 - WCW Monday Nitro
World Heavyweight Championship - Hollywood Hogan vs. Kevin Nash

The fingerpoke of doom match. Many point to this as the culmination of everything wrong with WCW in the turn of the new millenium and started the downward spiral that led to the company being bought out by the WWE, changing the wrestling landscape for good.

A reasonable candidate IMO (although I'd stick with my original answer since the landscape in which it took place would not have existed IMO absent Hogan-Andre).

This also brought to mind another moment I considered briefly - Goldberg over Hogan. The failure of WCW to save itself after that moment (which was huge for fans, never mind what any of us smart marks thought of BG in the ring) was their last opportunity to do so IMO.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #32
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Favorite random matches:

Bret Hart vs. Yokozuna, Wrestlemania 9: Fans chanting "USA! USA!" with one wrestler from Japan, and the other from Canada.

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart: Wrestlemania 10. Owen Hart winning was AWESOME.

Ludwig Borga vs. Tatanka..one episode of WWF Superstars....Tatanka was undefeated, and Tatanka took a chair to his back, leading to his first ever loss!

Anything featuring the Quebecers.....hilarious.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #33
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I voted other
Steamboat vs Savage WM3 I would choose.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote