Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

ping: Any Mormons in the house?

Just found out that the Mormons have decided to build one of their mega-cathedrals literally a stone's throw from my home.......

http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/848539.html

The reasons that they'd put one here are obvious. Joseph Smith was jailed for awhile here in Liberty and the LDS owns that jail now and considers it an important place in their history. He gave himself up to go to jail so that the Mormon members would not be killed by the government during the 'Mormon War'. He later had several revelations, which became a part of their religious documents.

Liberty Jail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With that said, I've heard that this could provide a substantial boost to housing prices in the immediate area in the future. Similar temples have provided housing price boosts as Mormons move into the area to live close to the temples. Any Mormons that can explain more about the temple's effect on the community or anyone who lives near one that can give any insight as to the effect on the community from an economic standpoint?

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I hear that once it's built, an invisible shield automatically extends from the top and protects everything in a three mile radius from nuclear attack, tornadoes and Christian conservatism. So you're in a good spot.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

No first hand experience but here's an article from earlier in the year that talks about the economic impact of a recent construction project.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-21-2008 at 01:06 AM. Reason: left out the linkage
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

Ahhh, Joseph Smith. The first prophet to die in a shootout?

One of my favourite games to play when encountered by a mormon in Sydney is to see exactly how long I can talk to them without mentioning religion.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:23 AM   #5
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I much prefer Branch Davidians.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
molson
General Manager

I imagine they're great for a local economy.

Mormons tend to be really well off. I've heard a couple of different explanations for that.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
No first hand experience but here's an article from earlier in the year that talks about the economic impact of a recent construction project.

That confirms a lot of things that I've been hearing. I've heard similar things to molson's comments as well regarding wealth. There's a lot of higher end housing developments in the immediate area, which are all on land owned by the Mormons. I'm guessing that it's not just a coincedence.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:20 AM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well....

I'm not active anymore but in Utah, when the temples are built the homes value around them skyrocket usually by 50%. I can't say what it's like around the rest of the nation.

Depending on the architect and the city/state requirements, the temples can be quite beautiful. On top of that, when people come in from all around the region to do their temple work, it will bring a slight boost around to some of the local restaurants, gas stations and grocery stores and maybe even some hotels / motels for the temple weddings.

As for the wealth comment, lets make it a little more clear. Members outside of Utah tend to keep in check fairly well, however a lot of the members in Utah tend to play the keeping up with the Jones game and sink themselves into debt, it's part of the reason Utah led the nation in bankruptcies for a while.

But a lot of it has to do with the teaching of be frugal and it's a definite belief that if you pay your tithing, you will be watched out for.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I'm not active anymore but in Utah, when the temples are built the homes value around them skyrocket usually by 50%. I can't say what it's like around the rest of the nation.

Depending on the architect and the city/state requirements, the temples can be quite beautiful. On top of that, when people come in from all around the region to do their temple work, it will bring a slight boost around to some of the local restaurants, gas stations and grocery stores and maybe even some hotels / motels for the temple weddings.

I've seen numbers even higher than 50% in some areas, but there's a definite correlation in all instances.

There's no height restrictions in our area. My understanding is that the city is willing to let them build pretty much whatever they want.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I've seen numbers even higher than 50% in some areas, but there's a definite correlation in all instances.

There's no height restrictions in our area. My understanding is that the city is willing to let them build pretty much whatever they want.

Yeah it all depends on the value of the homes. My friends sister built a home right next to where they knew the temple was going to be built and it has gone up 100% in value right now (They are like 9 houses from the temple grounds.) so it can happen definitely.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #11
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Found some information on the Mormon website discussing the upcoming temple. It says that it will be very similar to the one just completed near Snake River Canyon in Twin Falls, Idaho. Looks really nice.

Twin Falls Idaho LDS (Mormon) Temple

I also noticed that the public is allowed to go into each of these temples during the week or so between completion of the temple and the dedication of the temple. But once it's dedicated, only Mormons can enter the church. So how do they get visitors to come to the church and join the church if you have to be Mormon to enter the temples?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:05 AM   #12
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Found some information on the Mormon website discussing the upcoming temple. It says that it will be very similar to the one just completed near Snake River Canyon in Twin Falls, Idaho. Looks really nice.

Twin Falls Idaho LDS (Mormon) Temple

I also noticed that the public is allowed to go into each of these temples during the week or so between completion of the temple and the dedication of the temple. But once it's dedicated, only Mormons can enter the church. So how do they get visitors to come to the church and join the church if you have to be Mormon to enter the temples?

The temple is a sacred place for members once dedicated. That is where they do baptisms for the dead, temple sealings (For those married outside the temple, you can be sealed to your family for time and eternity) and temple marriages.

As for people investigating the church about becoming members they go through the process I did (Mind you, I was born and raised in Utah as a catholic, converted because of a girl). Missionaries give you the discussions, you attend at a local LDS church house, agree to live the word of wisdom and everything else and then they baptize you at the local church house or whatever they have dedicated for baptisms (I have seen some lakes in South America and such be used)
Old 10-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
On a side note, one of my friends from back in my college days was LDS. Her family converted while she was in grade school. The Mormons are big on genealogy, because they believe in 'baptism by proxy'. They perform a ceremony where the dead who were not Mormon can be baptized into the church.

Well, imagine their shock when they discovered that their great-great grandfather was the one that led the lynch mob that killed Joseph Smith! Awkward.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Cartman's story sounds like a movie ripe for somebody like the Coen Brothers or Jonathan Demme or the like.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-21-2008 at 09:26 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #15
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
On a side note, one of my friends from back in my college days was LDS. Her family converted while she was in grade school. The Mormons are big on genealogy, because they believe in 'baptism by proxy'. They perform a ceremony where the dead who were not Mormon can be baptized into the church.

Well, imagine their shock when they discovered that their great-great grandfather was the one that led the lynch mob that killed Joseph Smith! Awkward.

Yeah, the belief on baptism for the dead is pretty well known, the church has been sued by other faiths to stop it. It's their belief that they will perform the baptism, but it's the spirits choice in the kingdom to accept it or not, that is something that the rest of the world either does not know or chooses to ignore. I can immerse my body in your name, but if you don't accept it for what it is, then what just happened, I got a nice bath in holy water...

BTW, I'm not jaded to the church, just my belief structure strayed a bit from when I was baptized, my in-laws are livid I am not raising my kids in the church, it's one of those fun times at the house when we visit, my son is 8 and yet to be baptized LDS, it's nice my wife shares the same views as I do though so she helps out on the in-law side fighting with me.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 10-21-2008 at 09:46 AM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #16
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I imagine they're great for a local economy.

Mormons tend to be really well off. I've heard a couple of different explanations for that.
I'm LDS. The church certainly pushes for higher education and it certainly doesn't hurt that a member gets discounted tuition from BYU (or BYU Hawaii or BYU Idaho, etc...). I believe you just need a recommendation from your local biship.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #17
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

hey brad!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #18
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

As for the wealth comment, lets make it a little more clear. Members outside of Utah tend to keep in check fairly well, however a lot of the members in Utah tend to play the keeping up with the Jones game and sink themselves into debt, it's part of the reason Utah led the nation in bankruptcies for a while.

But a lot of it has to do with the teaching of be frugal and it's a definite belief that if you pay your tithing, you will be watched out for.

BTW, I'm not jaded to the church, just my belief structure strayed a bit from when I was baptized, my in-laws are livid I am not raising my kids in the church, it's one of those fun times at the house when we visit, my son is 8 and yet to be baptized LDS, it's nice my wife shares the same views as I do though so she helps out on the in-law side fighting with me.

Doesn't the LSD church actually owns stakes (if not 100%) in quite a few businesses that are profitable?

I guess living in Buffalo, with its strong Catholic roots, is interesting. Wonder if it helps fighting with the in-laws (if not at least being across country).

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-21-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #19
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Doesn't the LSD church actually owns stakes (if not 100%) in quite a few businesses that are profitable?

I guess living in Buffalo, with has strong Catholic roots, is interesting. Wonder if it helps fighting with the in-laws (if not at least being across country).

Mostly real estate, but yes they do.

And for me, it's pretty interesting....a lot of misconception on mormons out here
Old 10-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

That's the situation in my area. The church owns all the land where my and other housing developments are being built in addition to all the retail being built nearby. The temple is being built on a portion of the church's land. They're selling the rest of it for residential/commercial development.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #21
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

And for me, it's pretty interesting....a lot of misconception on mormons out here

They ask where the other wives are?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #22
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
They ask where the other wives are?

Others wives, how come my wife and daughter aren't in dresses. We have been pulled over in Williamsville and given a sermon by a cop on why Catholicism is the better church.

The holidays, do you believe in jesus, are you wearing the funny underwear, which planet is yours....oh, I have heard them all out here.....most of the time, everywhere else I have traveled and people heard I was from Utah, it was just the wives comment.

My response(s)

I can barely handle one, why would I want more...

If I feel the person asking can handle the joke a little further....

I have 4

1 for cooking, 1 for washing, 1 for watching the 12 kids and the last one she is only good for sex.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #23
Critch
lolzcat

Are the Osmonds as nice in real life as they seem on tv?
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #24
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Are the Osmonds as nice in real life as they seem on tv?

LOL...now that is just not fair...

I actually went to high school with their kids and graduated with a lot of the Osmonds kids...

Anyways, yes they are nice.

Also, at the same high school a few years after I graduated, Larry King's step son was the QB and he did play by play for a few of the home games.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 10-21-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 PM   #25
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Others wives, how come my wife and daughter aren't in dresses. We have been pulled over in Williamsville and given a sermon by a cop on why Catholicism is the better church.

The holidays, do you believe in jesus, are you wearing the funny underwear, which planet is yours....oh, I have heard them all out here.....most of the time, everywhere else I have traveled and people heard I was from Utah, it was just the wives comment.

On that cop story, wow.

I can understand the feelings though on the deep-rooted Catholic residents. Spending four years at a local Catholic university (not being Catholic myself), I come across some of the deeply religious Catholics. Scary.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-21-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #26
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
LOL...now that is just not fair...

I actually went to high school with their kids and graduated with a lot of the Osmonds kids...

Anyways, yes they are nice.

Also, at the same high school a few years after I graduated, Larry King's step son was the QB and he did play by play for a few of the home games.

You talking about Bret Engeman?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:32 AM   #27
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
You talking about Bret Engeman?

Nope, Brett was a frosh my Senior year. His wife (I heard they are divorcing, not 100% sure there) was married to Southwick before, so his step son was Danny Southwick.

Brett was his nephew. I played ball with Brett's older brother Ryan, which was just as talented but choose to go to the U on a baseball schollie.

P.S. Edited because I had my families mixed up.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 10-22-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #28
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Nope, Brett was a frosh my Senior year. His wife (I heard they are divorcing, not 100% sure there) was married to a Covey before, so his step son was Covey.

Wait, a King family member is getting a divorce?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #29
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Wait, a King family member is getting a divorce?

The Rumor mill was out on it at the end of July. LOL....yeah, I know wife #7 goodbye.