Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ear plugs

Ok, so I have a lot of trouble sleeping. It got really bad a couple of years ago, so I tried various ear plugs, music, leaving the TV on, not drinking caffeine, taking a hot shower right before bed, not taking a hot shower right before bed, etc...

The problem is that every little thing bugs me when I try to fall asleep, and I'll wake up multiple times in the night and not get that REM sleep.

What I found helps so far is to use some silicon ear plugs that you roll into a ball and press against the opening of your ear. I've been doing this for over a year now, and feel like I sleep pretty normally now.

However, someone mentioned to me that they don't think it's healthy to do this every night. I've tried to alternate one night as an ear plug night, and then one night without. I never feel completely rested though, so I'd like to still use the ear plugs.

Does anyone know whether this person is right? Is there something wrong/unhealthy with using ear plugs every night? I wash them the next day, and throw them out after a week or two...

Thanks for any input.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

I've been doing internet searching, and I've read the argument that ear plugs are made to use every day in machine shops, so there shouldn't be a problem for every night while sleeping as long as you can still hear the fire alarm and stuff... well, I can still wake up to my alarm clock so I'm under the impression that it's fine.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

If you cuddle with Ellen Page, I guarantee that you'll sleep well.

So make it happen.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
However, someone mentioned to me that they don't think it's healthy to do this every night. I've tried to alternate one night as an ear plug night, and then one night without. I never feel completely rested though, so I'd like to still use the ear plugs.

Did Dr. McCoy actually give any reasons themselves or were they just repeating something that they might have heard from someone somewhere at sometime.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
Anthony
Banned

you don't know how to shut your brain off. my wife is the same way sometimes, using what should be falling into sleep-time into let me think about what needs to be done tomorrow-time or let me worry about something-time.

when i'm having trouble going to sleep, i'll either think about my MP FOF team and roster moves i'd like to make or one thing that really works is i control my breathing. i inhale for 3 seconds, hold my breath for 3 seconds and i exhale deeply till my lungs are completely emptied of oxygen, and as i exhale i picture waves at a beach washing away. the point is how well you exhale deeply. the exhale should feel like you're releasing yourself. point is to slow your heart rate down and relax your mind.

every little noise you hear shouldn't concern you. are you scared there might be a stranger making that noise? if so, unless you have a weapon handy you're dead anyway so no use fretting over it. i keep a hammer under my bed so anyone who is stupid enough to come up to my room is about to have a bad nite and a splitting headache.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Are you getting enough exercise? Not right before bed, but if you tire out your body throughout the day you shouldn't have too much trouble once you hit the pillow.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
you don't know how to shut your brain off. my wife is the same way sometimes, using what should be falling into sleep-time into let me think about what needs to be done tomorrow-time or let me worry about something-time.

Anthony, mind if I ask you what she does to combat this? My wife is the same way, she has a pretty intense corporate sales job and wakes up often for hours at night.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
Anthony
Banned

i believe she normally does the breathing excercises i posted here. i'm an ultra deep sleeper so her tossing and turning doesn't wake me, i hear about her bad nite of sleep after the fact. we have a baby now so she still gets up at 4 but now its for a good reason. keep in mind, if you're gonna do breathing excercises but worry "am i counting correctly???" or "did i exhale deeply enough???" or anything else then you're back where you started. sleep isn't something you have to do in the sense that it's not something you check off on a list. it's something you should look forward to and time you get to use for yourself to refresh yourself. its not the time to be worrying.

Last edited by Anthony : 10-20-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

So make it happen.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Did Dr. McCoy actually give any reasons themselves or were they just repeating something that they might have heard from someone somewhere at sometime.

No, it was just repeating what they heard...
Old 10-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm not scared of the noises, I don't know what it is, but it just bugs me and I can't sleep.

I find that when I'm super tired, like after exercising in the day or constantly doing physical activity all evening, I'll more than half the time fall asleep alright... but then I still wake up multiple times in the night and end up being very tired the next day.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'm not scared of the noises, I don't know what it is, but it just bugs me and I can't sleep.

I find that when I'm super tired, like after exercising in the day or constantly doing physical activity all evening, I'll more than half the time fall asleep alright... but then I still wake up multiple times in the night and end up being very tired the next day.

Thanks for the input guys.

have you ever been tested for sleep apnea?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
have you ever been tested for sleep apnea?

I was afraid of that a couple years ago, but since I can sleep OK when wearing ear plugs, I assumed it was just a mental thing. Wouldn't I still be waking up multiple times and all tired in the morning if I was wearing ear plugs (if I had sleep apnea)?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
MJ4H
Coordinator

I sometimes have similar troubles where every noise bothers me. They don't wake me up, but if I'm not sleepy enough they can keep me from falling asleep. I found that white noise like a box fan can drown out the little noises enough to make it much better. Might be worth a try.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #15
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I sometimes have similar troubles where every noise bothers me. They don't wake me up, but if I'm not sleepy enough they can keep me from falling asleep. I found that white noise like a box fan can drown out the little noises enough to make it much better. Might be worth a try.

I tried a fan too, but it didn't do much to help me.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #16
Lorena
Unregistered

Have you tried listening to nature CD's?
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:20 PM   #17
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Have you tried listening to nature CD's?

Yeah I have. I got one as a Christmas gift the year that I was having a lot of problems. I might have created another thread around that time about my trouble sleeping.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #18
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I suggest getting a large unkempt man to fart in your bedroom right after you get in bed. Once you smell the fart, you'll forget about everything else that might be occupying your mind.

I'm not sure if it will help you sleep, but it might make you pass out.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #19
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Have you thought about seeing a doctor?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #20
Lorena
Unregistered

Drink warm milk
Old 10-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #21
Lorena
Unregistered

Picture multiple Ellen Pages in sheep's costume and count how many times she jumps over a fence.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #22
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Picture multiple Ellen Pages in sheep's costume and count how many times she jumps over a fence.
And count the number of times she farts at the moment she clears the fence. The number may surprise you.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #23
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

So make it happen.

Right after she gives him a massage.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #24
MikeVic
Head Coach

I saw a doctor and he suggested stuff like not doing physical activity in the evening, not taking a shower before bed, no caffeine at all, and a bunch of stuff like that... none of which helped really.

I like the suggestions Pumpy and Lorena. I'll try them all.

Now back to the ear plug thing... I don't see why wearing them every night should be a problem. I also notice if I'm drunk, I don't use them and seem to fall asleep fine at least.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #25
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Now back to the ear plug thing... I don't see why wearing them every night should be a problem.
I can't imagine that the ear plugs would be a problem. My uneducated guess is that you're fine as long as the ear plugs aren't pushing ear wax deeper into the ear or something.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #26
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Now back to the ear plug thing... I don't see why wearing them every night should be a problem. I also notice if I'm drunk, I don't use them and seem to fall asleep fine at least.

I'm not sure how comfortable you might be with this, but what about having a glass of wine or something every night before bed? Maybe it would relax you just enough to let you sleep ok? I guess you'd just have to be really careful not to start 'upping the dosage' if it worked at first and then stopped having any effect...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #27
Lorena
Unregistered

Yeah i was gonna recommend the same but I'd imagine after a certain point, that same amount wont' work anymore.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

jerk off
Old 10-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
think about my MP FOF team and roster moves i'd like to make

It disturbs me a bit to know that we use the same basic technique for sleep therapy.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:46 PM   #30
Schmidty
Coordinator

Drink some hooch.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #31
Saul Goode
n00b

No more
Methamphetamine!!!

But seriously
You consume alcohol?? I used to drink a lot and had the same problem. Quit drinking. Ouit happening. Too much alcohol screws up sleep cycles.

You really should try prescription sleeping pills. Work like magic.
Saul Goode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:32 PM   #32
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I can't think of any reason why wearing ear plugs could be dangerous, unless it's because you won't hear important things, like the fire alarm. There are people at my work who wear them all day everyday, I can't imagine it's any different to sleep in them than wear them 8-10 hours/daily.

Another thing you might try is Progressive Neuromuscular Relaxation. Basically, you work slowly up your body from your toes to your jaw and forehead, focusing on your breathing and contracting/extending each muscle in your body. So, start with your toes, curl them in, hold, then let them relax, then straighten them out as far as they'll go, hold, relax. Then move to the calf/ankle. Flex, hold, relax, extend, hold, relax. Etc. Works like a champ for me.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #33
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It disturbs me a bit to know that we use the same basic technique for sleep therapy.

what i find funny is i go through the same routine every time - i say "ok, i'll think about my MP team right after saying prayers and i'll have a good 10-15 minutes of pure undisturbed front office decision making". i say my prayers, start to think about what positions i want to target in the upcoming draft and which current players i want to resign and literally within what feels like only 4 minutes i'm asleep.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #34
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
No more
Methamphetamine!!!

But seriously
You consume alcohol?? I used to drink a lot and had the same problem. Quit drinking. Ouit happening. Too much alcohol screws up sleep cycles.

You really should try prescription sleeping pills. Work like magic...JBmagic...I say this because that's who I actually am.

Fixed.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 10-20-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #35
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

My wife is the same way. She has a hard time sleeping and wakes up easily (and then has a hard time falling back asleep). She generally does some combination of:

- Reading before bed
- Taking a couple Tylenol PM-type pills
- Using earplugs

She almost always uses the earplugs and basically takes the PM's when she doesn't have time to read or feels extra awake when it's time to hit the sack.

I'd say over the past year she's used the earplugs maybe 90% of all nights, at least.

My guess is your "friend" is a prick who didn't realize what they made up would effect you so greatly. If the plugs work, use 'em.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #36
MikeVic
Head Coach

If I'm playing a game like FOF, I go through my team in my head too. It helps me keep my mind off other things, but didn't really help in falling asleep.

I forgot that I had some pill prescribed to me around the same time the doctor told me what to do, and the pills were supposed to relax your nerves. I forget the name of it, but they were really tiny and the doctor said they could be addicting, so I should stop taking them if they don't help (which they didn't).

I'll try various methods on weekends when I can, since I can always just go to sleep early or something if I have a bad night's sleep without ear plugs.

Thanks again.