Nebraska-Mizzou is going to be a crazy shootout

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Vols clinging to a 13-9 lead with 4 mins to play, NIU ball at their own 18.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #103
Poli
FOFC Survivor

It gets uglier than that, Jon. I'm not sure how, but I'm trying to convince myself of it.

Last edited by Poli : 10-04-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #104
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

That was a hideous game. What a disaster.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #105
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
That Missouri-Oklahoma game has potential to be an all-time shootout. OU might be able to slow down Mizzou, but nobody's stopping that OU offense.

If they play, the deciding factor will be OU's defense, which is much better than Missouri's defense. The offenses are about equal.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #106
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Vols hang on and win 13-9 over NIU.

Stephens did little (10/17, 153, 1TD) other than a 52 yd TD pass but that was enough offense combined with a strong performance by the defense that alllowed only 188 yds. Down side of that is that UT only managed 68 yds rushing & 221 total offense themselves.

Georgia may actually beat UT by a wider margin than GT beats Gardner-Webb next weekend ... and that's a sad state of affairs.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #107
Swaggs
Coordinator

West Virginia looked terrible today. If Rutgers was even an average team this year, they would have won by 14 points.

The Big East has come under a lot of fire the past few seasons, but I think the conference is legitimately bad this season. With USF losing to Pitt (who I have not been impressed with due to poor QB play) and UConn getting eaten alive by UNC, there is not much to cling to. Rutgers is back to being Rutgers. WVU could be pretty good, but cannot seem to get it together on offense. I think USF is probably the only team in the conference that would be a top 4 or 5 team in the SEC or B12, but they are inconsistent as hell.

Frustrating for a WVU fan to watch Pat White's senior season go so disappointingly.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #108
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas takes care of business against Colorado, winning 38-14.

Next weekend shapes up to be an epic Red River Shootout. Both teams are playing at a very high level, and there isn't much difference between the two teams. I'm looking forward to the game!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 10-04-2008 at 09:37 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #109
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Texas takes care of business against Colorado, winning 38-14.

They should have won 52-10.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #110
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
They should have won 52-10.

Yeah, but they played their 2nd string guys pretty much the whole 4th quarter.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #111
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Mustain gets into the game after Sanchez was shaken up a bit, and Mustain promptly throws an interception. At least the team is up 37-10 and Sanchez looks ok now.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #112
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Nebraska-Mizzou is going to be a crazy shootout

SI

52-10 crazy, near the end of the 3rd quarter.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #113
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Classic Fresno State, playing lights out against their non-conference opponents, then laying an egg in WAC play. They trail Hawaii, 19-9 at halftime, and the game is in Fresno.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #114
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
52-10 crazy, near the end of the 3rd quarter.

There's that score again.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:01 PM   #115
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Next weekend shapes up to be an epic Red River Shootout. Both teams are playing at a very high level, and there isn't much difference between the two teams.

Actually, there are some fairly significant differences between the teams. Texas' QB is the leading rusher on his team; OU's QB is 8th on his team in rushing. Texas is 100th nationally in pass defense, Oklahoma is 34th.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #116
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Actually, there are some fairly significant differences between the teams. Texas' QB is the leading rusher on his team; OU's QB is 8th on his team in rushing. Texas is 100th nationally in pass defense, Oklahoma is 34th.

So when VY was the second leading rusher on the 2005 team that was a bad thing?

In overall defense, and more importantly scoring defense, Texas and Oklahoma are very similar. The offenses are almost dead even in yards per game and points scored.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:31 AM   #117
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

w00t! Hawaii takes down Fresno in OT. Fresno had two tries at a FG (running into the kicker on the first attempt) and missed both.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #118
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Georgia may actually beat UT by a wider margin than GT beats Gardner-Webb next weekend ... and that's a sad state of affairs.

Doubtful. We'll make you look like a pro team next week.

Vandy now controls its own destiny at number one all alone in the SEC East. The SEC championship goes through Vandy. There is nothing in those statements that makes sense.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #119
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
If they play, the deciding factor will be OU's defense, which is much better than Missouri's defense. The offenses are about equal.

Easily one of the biggest fallacies about the Mizzou football team. Mizzou's defense is on the field an average of 37 minutes per game (Mizzou offense is 114th in the nation in possession time and leads the nation in number of touchdown drives under 2 minutes (17)). They are on the field for far more plays than most defenses simply because the offense scores so quickly. The statistics are also heavily skewed because of all of the passing that Illinois did in the second half of that first game when they were trying to catch up. Nebraska bought into this 'Mizzou doesn't have a defense' theory and got served their worst beating in Lincoln in over 40 years.

It should also be noted that the neutral site game will likely be far from neutral. I'd be absolutely shocked if at least 65% of the stadium wasn't Tiger fans at Arrowhead.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-05-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #120
JeeberD
General Manager

Good game by the Miners to go into Hattiesburg and take an overtime win from Southern Miss, 40-37.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Doubtful. We'll make you look like a pro team next week.

Perhaps. Unfortunately the pro team they'll look like is the Lions.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #122
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
West Virginia looked terrible today. If Rutgers was even an average team this year, they would have won by 14 points.

I have mixed feelings about it. Offensively, I felt like we did fairly well until Pat got hurt. We only threw one pass after that, so I think it's fair to say we just kind of packed it in and tried to coast to a win, which almost backfired. I give a lot of credit to Rutgers D, though. Schiano has talent along that defensive front, and they outplayed our offensive line much of the time (see that 4 and inches for a prime example). It makes it harder for me to judge where our line is at this point. I felt like we made strides the past couple of weeks, but we haven't really gotten anything up the middle since Mozes graduated (and Trickett left.)

Defensively, it was our first game in a while without Reed Williams. The last time we played without him we gotten eaten alive by ECU. Considering that, I think we had a great day on D. Rutgers didn't even get to 300 yards of offense. They did have some bad throws and several dropped passes that helped us out, of course, but that was how it went last year as well. At least some of the drops have to be credited to big hits making guys hear footsteps - it seemed like Rutgers had about 15 guys down on the field hurt over the course of the game, though I don't think any were major injuries.

I don't know. Had Pat not gone down, it could've easily ended up 31-10 or something, and I don't think WVU fans would be talking about this one like it was a loss.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:02 PM   #123
Logan
Head Coach

You guys know I've always given WVU credit and have rooted for them to win OOC...but I just thought you guys looked pretty average all around, including when White was in. I know Rutgers isn't very good and I still felt like we should have won that game pretty easily. And with how the series has gone, I'm amazed that I feel like that. We couldn't get anything done on the ground (our RBs are very weak although Brooks has some promise), but there were opportunities to beat you deep that were missed (Britt has to come down with that pass which would've been an 85 yard TD).

All that being said, the TD pass to Urban was just beautiful. Perfect design, perfect execution.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:07 PM   #124
Swaggs
Coordinator

I never really felt that we were in danger of losing, but I keep thinking that we are in a funk and will snap out of it at any given point. Now, after five games, I'm thinking we are just pretty ordinary. I think we could get a lot better on defense, as I think there is some talent in the secondary that, with experience, will allow the more seasoned front six to do some more disruptive things. On offense, I just don't see any hope for improvement. We had very few penalties and no turnovers vs Rutgers, but also had only one memorable play (the long TD pass). If not for White's improvising, we really would not have much of an offensive identity at this point and we are nearly halfway through the season.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #125
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
We had very few penalties and no turnovers vs Rutgers

I wish this was a good sign, but we haven't forced a turnover in the 4 non-Morgan State games. Unreal.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #126
mckerney
Coordinator

I like that Minnesota's Eric Decker now leads the nation in yards receiving and is second in catches after his 13 catch, 190 yard game in the 16-7 win over Indiana. Also nice to have a win where the defense with how bad the Gophers D has been over the years, and just nice to have a Big Ten win after last year.

Last edited by mckerney : 10-05-2008 at 05:25 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #127
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Easily one of the biggest fallacies about the Mizzou football team. Mizzou's defense is on the field an average of 37 minutes per game (Mizzou offense is 114th in the nation in possession time and leads the nation in number of touchdown drives under 2 minutes (17)). They are on the field for far more plays than most defenses simply because the offense scores so quickly. The statistics are also heavily skewed because of all of the passing that Illinois did in the second half of that first game when they were trying to catch up. Nebraska bought into this 'Mizzou doesn't have a defense' theory and got served their worst beating in Lincoln in over 40 years.

It should also be noted that the neutral site game will likely be far from neutral. I'd be absolutely shocked if at least 65% of the stadium wasn't Tiger fans at Arrowhead.

Wow.. what a game! Watching this team is so much fun.. remember just a few years ago?

Another stat, Mizzou has never gone 3 and out and have scored a TD on their opening possessions in every game this year.

I really wish Maclin would stay just one more year, but unfortunetly I don't see that happening.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #128
st.cronin
General Manager

2 points about the Badgers:

- John Clay should be getting more touches. The guy is good.
- They are not nearly as talented as the Buckeyes. It was a miracle that game was so close.

1 point about the Buckeyes:

- I am not sure I understand why Pryor is playing every down. He obviously has TALENT, but its not like Boeckman was some punk that needed to be benched. Boeckman was quite good. Comparing Boeckman to Zwick is just silly - Zwick was terrible. If Tressel were the coach of the Badgers, would he have benched Evridge after the 1st quarter?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:17 AM   #129
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I really wish Maclin would stay just one more year, but unfortunetly I don't see that happening.

Yeah, I'm guessing he's going to have millions of reasons to leave after this year.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:27 AM   #130
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
2 points about the Badgers:

- John Clay should be getting more touches. The guy is good.
- They are not nearly as talented as the Buckeyes. It was a miracle that game was so close.

- I am not sure I understand why Pryor is playing every down. He obviously has TALENT, but its not like Boeckman was some punk that needed to be benched. Boeckman was quite good. Comparing Boeckman to Zwick is just silly - Zwick was terrible. If Tressel were the coach of the Badgers, would he have benched Evridge after the 1st quarter?

I was really hoping the Badgers would win because the chances of them losing two weeks in a row at home are pretty slim.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:07 AM   #131
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

Pryor has more raw talent than Boeckman. He's not going to get a chance to develop if he doesn't play. After the embarrassment at USC, why not put him in there? Sure, it sucks for Boeckman, but while he is not some punk, he is also not great. He is a decent QB. When you have a potentially great one waiting in the wings, you play him. At least, I would.

Pryor actually had to make a few reads in this game, and seemed like he could develop into a very good passer. Very exciting to see. I figured with Pryor, Ohio State could finish 9-3 or even a little worse. The win over Wisconsin makes me optimistic that the Buckeyes can make it 3 Big Ten outright titles in a row. But Michigan State will be tough with their running game this week.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #132
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I'm guessing he's going to have millions of reasons to leave after this year.

Rams need a WR too.

That first TD on the opening drive, as soon as he caught that pass, I told my friends.. he's gone!

Scary how fast he is....

Did you hear Chase talking last night about a Nebraska player that spit on him? Guess who got the last laugh...
Old 10-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #133
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Rams need a WR too.

That first TD on the opening drive, as soon as he caught that pass, I told my friends.. he's gone!

Scary how fast he is....

Did you hear Chase talking last night about a Nebraska player that spit on him? Guess who got the last laugh...

Yeah, I liked how Bo Pelini tried to passively toss that on the Mizzou staff. He said he 'hoped the opposing staff would let him know if something like that happened'. What a schmuck. How about you get control of your group of thugs and take care of it without the other staff having to help you discipline your own team? I sincerely doubt that Bo bothered to call Pinkel to apologize and get more info.

I really wish Pinkel wasn't so nice in regard to avoiding embarrassment of the other team. Mizzou played the 3rd string players on both sides of the ball for all of the 4th quarter. I'm guessing our offense could have hung 2-3 more touchdowns on a fatigued Nebraska defense in that last quarter.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #134
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm guessing our offense could have hung 2-3 more touchdowns on a fatigued Nebraska defense in that last quarter.

Classy.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #135
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Classy.

Trust me. If you would have been watching Osborne pile on the touchdowns for 20+ years on Mizzou, you'd have a bit more piss and vinegar about the situation.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #136
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It was like last year when the crowd got down on Mangino for not putting it up over 80 on Nebraska when he had ample opportunity, as we had 76 on the board early in the 4th quarter.

Not saying it's right, but how about this recent history:

1982-2002 (NU vs KU)
52-0
67-13
41-7
56-6
70-0
54-2
63-10
51-14
41-9
59-23
49-7
21-20
45-17
41-3
63-7
35-0
41-0
24-17
56-17
51-7
45-7

(1025-186 AVG: 49-9)

I'm pretty sure the good doctor in Lincoln didn't really need that extra TD or three every year when they were leaving their starters in for the 4th quarter.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-06-2008 at 09:10 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #137
Butter
Coordinator

I'll trust you guys about it, then.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #138
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm pretty sure the good doctor in Lincoln didn't really need that extra TD or three every year when they were leaving their starters in for the 4th quarter.

SI

It brings me great delight to see Osborne as AD overseeing one of the worst stretches in Nebraska football. The only thing that would delight me more would be seeing signs in the visitor's section in Lincoln pointed towards the press box that say, "How does it feel, Dr. Tom?".
Old 10-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #139
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #140
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't really know what's going on with you FBS guys, but Division II Seton Hill is 6-0. This is their fourth year of football, and they have as many wins this year as their first three years combined. I'm really happy for the seniors on that team, because they had to endure the tough years. Maybe they'll crack the Top 25 this week, although I'm not terribly hopeful.

It's pretty sad that I know more about the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference than I do about the SEC or Big Ten. Oh, well. Go Seton Hill! Beat West Virginia State on Saturday!
Old 10-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #141
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's all about D3, Pumpy. Wabash is now 4-0 after a beat down of Allegheny on Homecoming. Now we have to get through the W triple play of Washington, Wittenberg and Wooster. If we beat Wittenberg and Wooster we'll likely be undefeated going into the huge rivalry game against Depauw, but unlike our loss last year the Monon Bell is at home this year.

WABASH ALWAYS FIGHTS!
Old 10-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #142
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's all about D3, Pumpy. Wabash is now 4-0 after a beat down of Allegheny on Homecoming. Now we have to get through the W triple play of Washington, Wittenberg and Wooster. If we beat Wittenberg and Wooster we'll likely be undefeated going into the huge rivalry game against Depauw, but unlike our loss last year the Monon Bell is at home this year.

WABASH ALWAYS FIGHTS!
Eh, Seton Hill beat the stuffing out of a (provisional) D3 team this year. Geneva College went down.

How is it that Wabash has only played 4 games this year? Two bye weeks already or something?
Old 10-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #143
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Trust me. If you would have been watching Osborne pile on the touchdowns for 20+ years on Mizzou, you'd have a bit more piss and vinegar about the situation.

+1

What's even more funny is Nebraska kept their first squad in the game just to see if they could get 7 more.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #144
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Eh, Seton Hill beat the stuffing out of a (provisional) D3 team this year. Geneva College went down.

How is it that Wabash has only played 4 games this year? Two bye weeks already or something?

The first game was Sept. 13. We don't have any bye weeks, but we start late.

I've honestly had more fun with our D3 team than I've ever had with a football team. It probably has a lot to do with how many guys I've had in classes.