Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-30-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Take this job and...love it?

About 6 or so years ago, I was working at a discount grocery store. It wasn't a bad first job, all things considered, but the 9 hour shifts in a rather soulless environment wore me down. I was driving around town one day when I saw a decrepit sandwich-board style sign sitting in front of a monolithic tourist attraction. It said "Looking for a fun job? Apply at the Winchester Mystery House!"

So, I did. I applied, had a little interview, and got hired. I quit the grocery store (shamefully eschewing the courtesy of a two week notice), and went to work as a tour guide at San Jose's only real national beacon of tourism.

The job paid shit. Somehow, though, I managed to work this not even full time job and split rent with my girlfriend as an 18 year old with just wisps of sprouting facial hair.

Giving the same guided tour of a dusty old mansion would seem boring. I suppose it would have been god-awful if I had stayed there much longer than I did....but, while I was there, I had an awesome time. The rest of the tour guides were girls around my age, who were always flirty. The place, overrated as it may have been, still carried mystique about it, and was always a great icebreaker at that time.

I've never believed in ghosts, but the stories about the supernatural in that house are legendary. With only natural-lighting, the place would get dark very fast at dusk, when the last tours ended. Then we each had our cleaning tasks...dusting, windows...vacuuming..all of that. With the house being so big, you were never within shouting distance of someone else who was cleaning. So, you better believe the darkness and isolation made me whip my head around every time I heard a floor creak. Spooky shit!

Anyways....what are the jobs you've loved so far?

EDIT: I'm sloppy

Last edited by Karlifornia : 10-01-2008 at 01:50 AM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #2
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

that's a pretty cool job. that lady was batshit crazy.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That house was my wife's favorite spot we visited when we vacationed in California.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

So sad, I live in the Bay Area and I've never actually been to the Winchester Mystery House. The field trip for that during school was when I was in 7th grade but I was out of town as we all went to Miami for the 20th Anniversary of 17-0.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

WTF?? I was in San Jose a couple of years ago and I never heard of the place...pfffft...figures.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Working at an Ice Arena in High School. Drive the Zamboni, make everyone else do shit, and then when at 1 AM, call up my buddies and play hockey till 3 or 4 AM.

So bad ass.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm actually really loving my job right now, but of course I really don't have any responsibilities except to keep up with my training materials. But I'm loving my GM, the other managers are all very cool and I feel have accepted me and value my opinion, and the team members have been respectful.

I hope to god when I'm done with my training that I'm put somewhere that I like as much...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I loved working at Macromedia, I was there from 99 - 01, at the heyday of the internet, we had no Per Diem and traveled like rock stars. We were the face of the company and I racked up over 400K air miles in 2 years and the same in hotel points which I kept. Getting stock at a great price was a solid thing as well.

Access to the software, companies I worked with it was great as my opinion was respected in a lot of places.

After that, even though I was gone from the family 8 weeks at a time, R3 was a pretty great gig as well. Weekly xbox 360 tournaments, down time was 360 time. Weekends off and able to visit some of the fun stuff in the cities we were at or wake up in your bathroom at 6 am wondering how the hell you got there.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I've always loved my present job (game designer/coder/teaboy) - its what I'd be doing as a hobby if I wasn't lucky enough to do it full time.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Working at an Ice Arena in High School. Drive the Zamboni, make everyone else do shit, and then when at 1 AM, call up my buddies and play hockey till 3 or 4 AM.

So bad ass.

Every Canadian kid's dream...drive the zamboni at your local arena...awesome!!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #11
MikeVic
Head Coach

I won't list jobs in my career, but while I was in University, I worked for a thrift store for half a year or so. During that time I was never trained on cash (was supposed to be trained around the time I left). So for six months I was walking around picking up clothes and random stuff. It fulfilled my slacker needs really well. With the discount, and kinda first dibs on stuff coming in, I bought old video game stuff too. Win-win.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
JediKooter
Coordinator

Installing DSL for PacBell - People! Clean your homes!!!

And my current one at Apple, even though I am separated from my family and go back home about once a month.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 09-30-2008 at 11:54 AM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #13
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

In high school I worked the grounds crew for a local golf course. I found thousands of golf balls and golfed for free (with a cart) anytime I wanted.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #14
Pyser
Pro Rookie

in hs and early college summers i was a manager of a ben and jerrys on the boardwalk of the jersey shore. i was the only guy that worked there, served girls in bikinis all day long, was invited to all the beach parties after work, and when it got too hot during the shift, we could always take a quick swim in the ocean

when i have my inevitable midlife crisis, i will desperately try to recreate that job.

Last edited by Pyser : 09-30-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #15
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I spent a few summers working at the gas station out by my parents cabin. My first year, my brother and I both worked the same shifts (usually mon-fri mornings) because I wasn't old enough to drive myself to work. Things would get busy around by 10:30am, but for the first 2-3 hours each morning we'd spend most of our time sitting on a couple of chairs out front cracking jokes and hanging out. Definitely a great time to think back on.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
in hs and early college summers i was a manager of a ben and jerrys on the boardwalk of the jersey shore. i was the only guy that worked there, served girls in bikinis all day long, was invited to all the beach parties after work, and when it got too hot during the shift, we could always take a quick swim in the ocean

when i have my inevitable midlife crisis, i will desperately try to recreate that job.

which boardwalk?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #17
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
which boardwalk?

down by the sea.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #18
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Hopefully I'll love the new one I'm starting Monday. Been a long time since I was excited for a gig. This was the first one I was able to more or less hand pick.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #19
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Never had a job I loved. Sad, really.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #20
MikeVic
Head Coach

You don't love being World Champion Mis-speller?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #21
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
You don't love being World Champion Mis-speller?

No, the pay sucks and I never get time off.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #22
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
which boardwalk?

first year was point pleasant, then we moved to manasquan...til it got turned into condos.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #23
MrDNA
High School Varsity

I worked at a haunted prison (Eastern State Pennitentiary for those near Philly). Got to scare the crap out of people and met my girlfriend who I've been with for 7 years now. Good deal.

Also, I love being a teacher. But that sounds lame.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:33 AM   #24
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post

Also, I love being a teacher. But that sounds lame.

Doesn't sound lame to me...I would love to go back to school and get my degree in education if my other option doesn't work out.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #25
tarcone
Coordinator

I loved delivering pizzas in the college town I grew up in. A bunch of my buddies worked there. We had a great time.

I also love being a 6th grade P.E. teacher. I get to play all day long and get paid for it.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #26
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Doesn't sound lame to me...I would love to go back to school and get my degree in education if my other option doesn't work out.

I only know you from your posts on here, but my guess is you'd make a really good teacher.

I don't think I've ever had a job I loved, either. The job I hated least was, I think, being in the Army.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote