Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #401
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What sucks about the way the polls work is people will see the final score of Alabama 41, Georgia 30 and think it wasn't a blowout. Georgia won't get punished nearly enough for their performance.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #402
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Huge punt return for a TD by Nebraska.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #403
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
What sucks about the way the polls work is people will see the final score of Alabama 41, Georgia 30 and think it wasn't a blowout. Georgia won't get punished nearly enough for their performance.

Unfortunate, but UGA is very good. They're still a top 10 team. I hate saying it, but they've got some players.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #404
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Alabama should be looking at 9-0 by the time they face LSU in early November.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #405
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

National game on ESPN, so it's not like nobody saw the game. The 31-0 lead at half will be a main point.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #406
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Jeebs must be a very happy man right now.

UTEP 58, UCF 13.

Jeebs, congrats on the absolute a$$-basting of my Alma Mater. UCF is the ultimate Bi-Polar College Football Program.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:58 PM   #407
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Un-intentional DOLA by the way...

Congrats to FIU for maybe the Biggest Win in Program History and first Non-Conference Road Win as a I-A (FBS) member. They went to Toledo tonight and fairly easily handled a Rocket Team that damn near knocked off Fresno State last week, 35-16.

I realize no one may really care about this particular result at all, but FIU has been pretty much terrible since the inception of the program. Their record going into today's game from the beginning of the '06 season for the program, 1-26.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 09-27-2008 at 11:01 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #408
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

UGA showed who they are, which is not very good BTW. It sucks because next years team could be great, but Stafford and Moreno probably will not be there. As always, we are just short. Every year before this one, they had a dominating DL. Now, we don't have any playmakers at all up front, and a real sorry O-line to boot. Oh, well. 2002 was the year UGA should have won it all. I knew when we didn't do it then that it would never happen. And here we are.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #409
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
UGA showed who they are, which is not very good BTW

BS. UGA is a very good team. This game came as a shock to most, even Alabama fans. Georgia, at the worst, will probably lose 1 more game. As a Tech fan, I'm relishing their loss tonight, but I still think they're a top 5 team.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:22 AM   #410
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
BS. UGA is a very good team. This game came as a shock to most, even Alabama fans. Georgia, at the worst, will probably lose 1 more game. As a Tech fan, I'm relishing their loss tonight, but I still think they're a top 5 team.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they got to the SEC title game and beat 'Bama in a possible rematch. 'Bama showed how flawed they are and that 'Bama matched up rather well against them, but they got too much talent in those skill positions to make me feel comfortable about a rematch.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:43 AM   #411
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Alabama should be looking at 9-0 by the time they face LSU in early November.
Should be, but Florida shouldn't have lost at home today either. Saban clearly is a good game-day coach, but a young team in the SEC is ripe for a letdown at some point.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #412
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Been away at work since the evening games started. I have to say..Alabama...wow...Saban has to be a demigod down there about now. That team may very well win the national title. Early to say, I know..but they have as good a chance as anyone. Is Saban really that good of a coach? I remember under Shula when Bama would be happy to win 8 games and finish with a winning SEC record. Was this game just a fluke, or is the Tide primed for the BCS?
Old 09-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #413
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The bad news - Washington got pushed around on the line of scrimmage all night, lost their QB with a thumb injury and lost to Stanford 35-28 to drop to 0-4 on the season and staring at the very real possibility of a 1-11 or (Jeebus help me) 0-12 season;

The good news - This loss is very likely the final nail in the coffin of the Ty Willingham error at the UW
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #414
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Been away at work since the evening games started. I have to say..Alabama...wow...Saban has to be a demigod down there about now. That team may very well win the national title. Early to say, I know..but they have as good a chance as anyone. Is Saban really that good of a coach? I remember under Shula when Bama would be happy to win 8 games and finish with a winning SEC record. Was this game just a fluke, or is the Tide primed for the BCS?

Alabama is as good as they are because they have a top 5 unit in the nation on both the offensive and defensive lines. Many of those players were there before Saban got there, so either hes a great developer of talent or he just took over from someone who did the dirty work of filling the cupboard only to get axed a year or two before the fruits of their labor could be recognized(kind of like Meyer winning the NT with mostly Zook recruits).
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #415
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Was this game just a fluke, or is the Tide primed for the BCS?

I don't think it was a fluke, as they could have that sort of half against pretty much anybody IMO. At the same time, it's an awfully young team (14 freshmen in the two-deep at the start of the season) and those are prone to making mistakes. If they play continue to play like veterans as they've done so far then yeah, they're looking like a very serious BCS title contender. Question is whether that'll happen, and the only way we'll know the answer to that is to watch the games play out.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #416
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Alabama is as good as they are because they have a top 5 unit in the nation on both the offensive and defensive lines. Many of those players were there before Saban got there, so either hes a great developer of talent or he just took over from someone who did the dirty work of filling the cupboard only to get axed a year or two before the fruits of their labor could be recognized(kind of like Meyer winning the NT with mostly Zook recruits).

He also has a senior QB throwing the ball. I would say he develops better players than Shula did as well. The team pretty much always underperformed, beating nobody of real consequence and losing some that 'Bama just really shouldn't be losing to. Much of that was around last year as well. He's had another year to mold the team, bring in what many consider the best class in the nation, and as mentioned in the week one thread dumping Major Applewhite was an addition via subtraction.

With Saban, 'Bama should be a top 5 recruiter year in and out. Shula wasn't able to come close to that. One of his best classes was when 'Bama was finally able to say, "We has scholorships now" since they were 100% past the NCAA sanctions. I talked to people down in 'Bama who loved Shula I asumed in vast part because he was a 'Bama guy and I always was waiting for him to prove the light was going to come on. He didn't.

Zook can also recruit with near the best of them, but as a coach, he's horrible and that's why he was sent off to Illinios. Considering the talent pool in Florida, it isn't that hard to bring in top caliber talent. Zook could never do anything with it. He'll make Illinios better because they were so gawd awful before he got there, but I don't think they'll be much more than a Wisconsin level type team year in and year out.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #417
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
UTEP leads UCF 34-7 midway through the 3rd quarter in a game that's apparently on CBSCS.

No mention of Jose Martinez' 64 yard FG, the second longest in NCAA history without the aid of a tee? For shame!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 09-29-2008 at 10:48 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:33 AM   #418
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
Un-intentional DOLA by the way...

Congrats to FIU for maybe the Biggest Win in Program History and first Non-Conference Road Win as a I-A (FBS) member. They went to Toledo tonight and fairly easily handled a Rocket Team that damn near knocked off Fresno State last week, 35-16.

I realize no one may really care about this particular result at all, but FIU has been pretty much terrible since the inception of the program. Their record going into today's game from the beginning of the '06 season for the program, 1-26.

I noticed, and cared. Surprising win for FIU. I also watched a fair bit of their game vs. USF a couple weeks back when they only lost 17-9. Better things may be on the horizon for them?

Also, I just HAD to peek in on this thread days later to check if there was a Houston Nutt meltdown considering Ole Miss' win and Arkansas' dismantling. It didn't disappoint!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #419
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post

I'm not too sure about it being a shock. Most of the prognosticators in this area picked Alabama. Georgia has been seen as a team that wouldn't last in the title chase. Methinks you as a Tech fan has too many Georgia fans in your ear.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:06 AM   #420
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
No mention of Jose Martinez' 64 yard FG, the second longest in NCAA history without the aid of a tee? For shame!

Shame Hell. I'm one of very few people who even noticed the game was being played at all
Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #421
JeeberD
General Manager

Yeah, I suppose you're on the money there...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote