Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

YES! BEST DAY EVER CONTINUES! Todd Jones to announce retirement!

My least favorite Tiger ever is gone. Millen is gone. If Leyland gets fired, this is THE HAT TRICK!

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

What if the Red Wings all decide to play for a European team instead of in the NHL? And Rasheed Wallace is arrested.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
Captain2711
High School JV

I assumed the Steve Yzerman/Brendan Shanahan come back would complete the hat trick for hockeytown
Old 09-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
My least favorite Tiger ever is gone. Millen is gone. If Leyland gets fired, this is THE HAT TRICK!

What exactly did Leyland ever do other than help the Tigers get out of their miserable recent past? I'll trade you Dusty Baker for him.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
What exactly did Leyland ever do other than help the Tigers get out of their miserable recent past? I'll trade you Dusty Baker for him.

Take away the first half of 2006 year, his record is well under. 500. He has refused to fire Chuck Hernandez, who since he has been here, has not seen one pitcher improve.

Leyland has this team in last place in the AL Central right now.

If he fired Hernandez and McClendon, I'd be fine with him staying, but he won't do it, and so that puts him on the chop block.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Wow. What a difference a couple of years and a totally crappy team makes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
Was that you trying to steal a kiss from Leyland?

Quote:
Haha if I could've I would've. Leyland is honestly probably the most popular sports figure in Detroit since Barry retired.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Take away the first half of 2006 year, his record is well under. 500. He has refused to fire Chuck Hernandez, who since he has been here, has not seen one pitcher improve.

If he fired Hernandez and McClendon, I'd be fine with him staying, but he won't do it, and so that puts him on the chop block.

And 1/2 his team is hurt. He didn't trade away the young pitching. So, Baker for Leyland?
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Wow. What a difference a couple of years and a totally crappy team makes...

Agreed. Expectations are a bitch. But you can't disagree his staunch refusal to fix this coaching staff has lead to the teams downfall.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
And 1/2 his team is hurt. He didn't trade away the young pitching. So, Baker for Leyland?

Well, he is the one who wanted Edgar Renteria and Gary Sheffield.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Agreed. Expectations are a bitch. But you can't disagree his staunch refusal to fix this coaching staff has lead to the teams downfall.

I agree with you. He hasn't a good job at all for a while and seems loyal to a fault to too many people.

I, too, am glad to see Todd Jones go. I couldn't stand him. He was likely the best closer the Tigers had on their roster, but he's incredibly annoying and whiny. Good riddance, Todd Jones.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I agree with you. He hasn't a good job at all for a while and seems loyal to a fault to too many people.

I, too, am glad to see Todd Jones go. I couldn't stand him. He was likely the best closer the Tigers had on their roster, but he's incredibly annoying and whiny. Good riddance, Todd Jones.

I just hated how smug he was. His whole "It's all my fault I suck and we lost" was cute at first, but God I heard that way too much.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I just hated how smug he was. His whole "It's all my fault I suck and we lost" was cute at first, but God I heard that way too much.

Agreed.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Wow, if Patrick Roy dies today, it will become a holiday in Detroit.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I would like to take this moment for posterity. As a friend of mine texted yesterday: ".4557 to .4551 bitches!"

(Not that we wish any ill will on the Tigers. We're just happy to be out of last for the first time in September in a long time, 2003 excluded)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote