Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
Travis
Pro Rookie

Home Theater System Help

Well, I've done a lot of looking online and locally, and now I'm looking for a bit of help.

I'm looking to pick up a surround sound system (likely around Christmas), so have started doing some research, but am horribly out of my depth. My current list of req's is affordability (looking to keep overall price under $600 USD as I'm assuming most reading this will be more familiar with American pricing), minimum of 2 HDMI in's along with an HDMI out (capable of 1080p, not 1080i as one I was looking at today apparently was limited to), capable of at least Dolby 5.1 and preferably all wireless speakers though I'll settle for rear wireless if it fits the rest of my needs.

I'm not worried about having an included DVD player/upscaler as the other pieces of the system will be a 1080p TV, PS3 and HDPVR. Any suggestions on complete systems or good combo's for speakers/receiver would be greatly appreciated and I apologize in advance for the stupid questions I'm sure to ask if you direct me towards assembling a system.

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I don't know squat about this stuff but I'd say to wait until Boxing Day sales...you could save yourself a whack of cash!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
I don't know squat about this stuff but I'd say to wait until Boxing Day sales...you could save yourself a whack of cash!!

If I buy locally, that's the plan, if I can order from the US, that might bump the time table up some, it's so much cheaper that way right now, but unfortunately, at least through Amazon.com, you can't get the systems shipped here.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I wouldn't buy any of the all-in-ones, as that limits your inputs and includes stuff like a DVD player you don't want.

Buy the receiver itself, then find speakers you want. You'll spend around $300 on the receiver (unless you are an audiophile, which you aren't), with the key requirement being the inputs it has. HDMI is common on these now. Browsing CircuitCity.com will help here.

Once you settle on a receiver, find some speakers. I'm not picky here, they generally all sound decent to me. The front ones should be as big as you can afford / want, rear speakers are generally smaller, and you want a decent center channel speaker (for voice). Don't forget a woofer. You can also go 7.1 or more if you really want to and have a place to hang the side speakers, but I'm quite happy with a 5.1 (and it will more likely fit your budget).
Old 10-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I would be hard pressed to fit your budget.
Just being honest.
$5-600 would be normal for SPEAKERS, and another 300-$$$$ for the AVR.

If you get a full system for $600 I wouldnt expect much. Not knocking you or anything you are looking at, just the minimum you are going to get a decent AVR for is $300, that leavees you $300 to spend on 2 fronts a center 2 rears and a sub. A decent sub (no where near top of the line) will run $200... that only leaves $100 for speakers...

At that price range though look at Yamaha AVRs.
At all costs stay away from SONY AVRs, I like SONY especially their monitors, but their AVR teechnology is simply horrid
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:04 AM   #6
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Yea, with your setup(nice TV and all) you may want to consider upping the budget on the sound system. You just arent likely to get a decent setup for all that. Like CU Tiger said, you need a reciever, 5 speakers and a sub. Thats a lot for $600. I also recommend staying away from the all in one deals, especially if you want future upgradability.

Start with the reciever and work from there. Im guessing Yamaha will probably be your best choice. The Sony statement above is especially true for their low end recievers, stay away. Their higher end stuff is alright but a little pricey for what it is.

Speakers, you will just have to look at what deals you can find. These you can probably find a set of 5 that will be alright for you. The Sub is a big part of any good system, but maybe you can wait a little while on this if you run out of money.

Avsforum.com will probably be the best place for you to get the best info and have any questions answered.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm looking at a Samsung LCD TV that comes bundled with this home theatre system:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...on=&langid=EN#

I don't know anything about sound systems really, but a friend was saying that with these boxed ones, you almost always can't get 5.1 sound since they don't have HDMI Inputs.

When I go to the product page:
HT-TWZ312 home theatre systems - home theatre SAMSUNG

It does indeed say no HDMI Inputs. So how the hell are these bundled with HDTVs if they can't play sound from them...? I'd want to connect my TV to it, and then my PS3 to the TV.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Optical audio output from tv via fibre optic audio cable into home theatre in a box optical input.

depends if the TV can pass through 5.1 or not.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
MikeVic
Head Coach

It's this TV:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN

And the above-mentioned home theatre system. All together it's on sale for $1500. The home theatre system has optical... and I think I bought a cable from monoprice awhile ago too. The TV specs on Best Buy say:
"Audio Output Jacks 1 Optical"

How can I find out if the TV can do 5.1?
Old 09-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

upon looking again.

I'd likely go from ps3 optical out into the HTIB optical in. And then go from the cable box(or tv) via RCA audio into the htib rca in. you aren't going to get 5.1 from the TV that way, but if I had to choose I would go with the ps3 getting the dedicated 5.1

this is assuming the TV won't be passing 5.1

Last edited by stevew : 09-19-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
MikeVic
Head Coach

So if I were to watch a DVD on my TV (not using the PS3), the DVD would not get 5.1 either correct?
Old 09-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

just buy something like this

Amazon.com: CABLESTOGO 28734 DIGITAL AUDIO EXPLORER TOSLINK SELECTOR SWITCH: Electronics

ps3 into htib
cable box into htib(box should pass through digital/5.1 sound typically)

then you can choose
Old 09-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So if I were to watch a DVD on my TV (not using the PS3), the DVD would not get 5.1 either correct?

no, you're watching the DVD in the htib, that way you'd always get 5.1(if the DVD is encoded)
Old 09-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #14
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

I think you might be getting a bit confused.

The best way to think of the setup is this, if you are considering surround sound:

There shouldn't be anything going FROM the TV. Only the picture signal should go TO the TV.

The AV receiver is the real brains of the operation, not the TV. Anything that sends a picture signal or audio signal should go into the AV receiver (PS3, XBox, cable/satellite receiver, DVD player, etc.). The AV receiver then sends the video signal on to the TV, and decodes the audio signal from the various devices, and sends them to the 6 (or more) speakers you have set up for surround sound.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

im typing like jbmagic
Old 09-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #16
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ok, so an HDMI and Optical go from TV to HTIB.

Then my PS3, whatever should connect to the HTIB. But if this HTIB says it doesn't have HDMI Inputs... then that means I would have to connect my extra stuff directly to the TV, thus not getting the 5.1... so DVDs would have 5.1, the TV would have 5.1, but not the extra stuff.

Correct?
Old 09-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #17
Pyser
Pro Rookie

hdmi passes audio, too. so you dont need an hdmi and optical coming from the same source.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #18
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
hdmi passes audio, too. so you dont need an hdmi and optical coming from the same source.

Ok. But the HTIB doesn't show it having HDMI Inputs... so I think optical would have to be connected here then?
Old 09-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #19
Pyser
Pro Rookie

dola. dont even think about getting a htib without hdmi. im surprised they even make receivers without hdmi inputs at this point
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #20
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
MikeVic,

This package might be a lot closer to what you are looking for:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...TSP904&tp=6419
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:41 AM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ideally, if you go with the samsung package, I'm pretty sure this is how you hook it up. This assumes the tv passes through 5.1 to the receiver.

WII-RGB Component video cables to TV, Red and white RCA audio into TV
PS3-HDMI connection into TV
Cable or satellite box-HDMI connection into TV.

From the TV-Optical out, connected with a fibre optic cable into receiver input optical jack. HTIB receiver is turned to the digital input. Should get surround sound on the PS3 and Cable box, stereo sound for the WII(I believe)

For the HTIB, you use the HDMI connection into TV for DVD upscaling. Will produce its own 5.1 sound.

In total, you need 3 HDMI, 1 Fibre optic, one set of Wii Component cables.

If the TV will not pass through 5.1, then you need that fibre optic switch. In that case you'd run optical cables from the PS3 and the Cable Box into the splitter, then into the HTIB. And HDMI from each device into the TV for the video signal.

The setup cartman recommended is very nice as well. It really depends on how much you want to spend, and how permanent this setup is going to be. If you plan to be somewhere for a long time, then I'd seriously consider investing more into the sound setup. If you're not sure how long your situation will be the same, or money is tight, or just aren't all that much into sound, then you'll be fine with the HTIB.

It's a pretty good price for all that stuff, especially in looney's.

The 530 is a solid TV.

Last edited by stevew : 09-20-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #22
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thanks again guys. I'll go look at it. I'm moving out of my parents' house in a couple of weeks and have been buying all the crap I need, so money is pretty tight and I cant see myself spending the money I want to on a sound system, so this seemed like a nice alternative. I can always buy it, try the setup mentioned, and return it if it doesn't work I guess.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #23
MikeVic
Head Coach

So I bought the package... is there a surge protector anyone recommends? I'm going to buy that optical cable switcher, some sort of surge protector, and a couple more optical cables soon...
Old 09-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #24
firebirds
n00b

As an "after the fact" comment, cartman nailed it - the AVR runs the show. We had a house built in a development amost a year ago and wanted a home theater system. We went with the low voltage contractor, used by the builder. We opted for a 5.1 built in Kliptsch (spelling) speaker system plus a Yamaha subwofer #YST-SW216. We felt the room wasn't large enough to do a 7.1 system justice. The components hooked up are as follows: TV is a 12 year old 27" Magnavox CRT, XBox (not the 360), 1 year old Dish Network receiver #311, Sony VCR #SLV-N750, Sony CD/DVD #DVP-NS300 and the AVR is a Sony STR-DG510. Definately not state of the art but satifies our needs. Hook up was not that difficult, just needed to purchase a few cables. Had to settle on the cables that the component technology at the time can handle. I had it all hooked up and found out that I had to go into the menu's of the VCR and DVD player to get things set right. Once that was done all was good to go. The plan is to use what we already have paid for and still functions well until it is time to replace it. When the TV dies we will get a nice hi-def and upgrade cables accordingly, etc. Enjoy your system.
firebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #25
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thanks firebirds.

bump, anyone have a recommendation for a surge protector? The Best Buy guy wanted me to get this Monster one for $150 or so... says it'll filter out noise from electricity or something. Seemed kinda steep... I also didn't get the extended service plan thing.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #26
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I just have mine hooked up to a 40 dollarish one, I'm not sure how elaborate you really want the thing to be. They get raises based on how much service and overpriced garbage accessories they can move at best buy.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #27
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Simple rule, never buy any accessories from Best Buy.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #28
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Thanks firebirds.

bump, anyone have a recommendation for a surge protector? The Best Buy guy wanted me to get this Monster one for $150 or so... says it'll filter out noise from electricity or something. Seemed kinda steep... I also didn't get the extended service plan thing.

Here is the thing, any surge protector that would shunt a true lightning rush you cant afford (or wont afford) beyond that its just what makes you feel good.

I actually have a display in my show room of a $6.95 GE unit and a $70 monster unit ripped apart. The outside of the monster is much prettier....

Last edited by CU Tiger : 09-22-2008 at 08:23 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #29
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Here is the thing, any surge protector that would shunt a true lightning rush you cant afford (or wont afford) beyond that its just what makes you fell good.

I actually have a display in my show room of a $6.95 GE unit and a $70 monster unit ripped apart. The outside of the monster is much prettier....

Thanks, I'll just buy a regular surge protector... like the one I'm using for my computer.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #30
MikeVic
Head Coach

That optical switcher thing won't ship to my address.