Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Anyone here use Linux?

Hi,

Any one here have up to date experience of using Linux as their main operating system (and if so which version and whats it like - especially for compatibility with window software (wine emulation?) ...?).

Thanks,

Marc

Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I tried out Ubuntu for a week or two back in May. While I really liked it, I decided it wasn't worth the compatibility hassles I had to deal with for work, mostly related to email and virtualization (but email was the biggest problem).

Here are some links to my blog where I wrote about the experience:

Code Baboon: Making The Switch
Code Baboon: Making The Switch Part 2
Code Baboon: Made The Switch
Code Baboon: Well That Ended Quickly
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola

That said, I would not hesitate to use it for a home PC.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 09-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
rjolley
College Starter

I use Linux for a server I run at home that handles NTP, FTP, Windows Domain Controller with Samba, a parental proxy for the kids' surfing, a web server, and a test box for Oracle, MySQL, and postgreSQL. I would use it as my main box for everything else, but I have a Windows laptop that I use for gaming and work at times. For me, it's easier to use the laptop, which I can have anywhere in the house, than to sit at my desk using my Linux desktop. I did have a Linux laptop that I used, but the HD went bad and I haven't taken the time to buy a new HD for it. Eventually, I will and I'll have a Linux laptop to use as well.

My distro of choice these days is Gentoo. I've been using it for 5 years or so and like it a lot. Easy to update and you're able to configure everything the way you like as far as building packages. One thing I got away from when I used RH is the stock rpms. Seemed like I either needed other packages that I wasn't told I neeeded and I had to go out and look for, or I wanted additional options turned on, so I had to build from source anyway. Gentoo allows me to control how my packages are built. It's not exclusive in that option, but the system Gentoo employs works well for me.

Last edited by rjolley : 09-18-2008 at 09:36 AM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm always fascinated by the way putting linux on a computer turns it into a box.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I've had a flavour of Linux running at home (not necessarily my primary box) probably for the last 5 years or so. Now, I'm no Linux guru, I just like to see what all the distros have to offer. I've used RedHat, SUSE, Ubuntu, Xandros, Mandrake...those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Currently, I have a webserver running on Ubuntu (it's a pretty old rev...probably set it up nearly 3 years ago and haven't touched it since), I have MythTV running on another Ubuntu box but that one has been down for a little while as I'm having hardware issues, I have a Dell from work that was advertised as being able to be shipped with Ubuntu...the first of it's kind...so I yanked out Vista and installed Ubuntu just to see...it works great, I just don't use it, and my work laptop currently has SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop...Novell's take on things) on it because we're a Novell shop and I wanted to try it out and because it supposed plays really well with Thinkpads.

My laptop is the computer I use the most and have really got to like SLED. Like Fidatelo, I had my issues with wireless and VMWare but for the most part, things have been rock solid. Oh yeah, I had to do some digging around to find out how to get power management...particularly SLEEP...to work properly. We use Groupwise at work and since it's a Novell product, SLED comes with it pre-installed so mail isn't an issue for me. There are some tasks I need a Windows box for and because I can't for the life of me get a VM to use a wireless connection (un-NAT'ed, of course) I simply use our SSL-VPN to RDP or VNC to my desktop at work and it works just fine. I even have FOF and OOTP running via WINE although there are some issues I have to work out for MP to work properly.

Here's what it boils down to...if all you do is check your hotmail, surf the internet, and create the odd document here and there then you won't have any issues running Linux. Yeah, things are a little different, but you'll adapt quickly. But, if you want to play games, need to use very specific applications, do a lot of varying multimedia work, then you might find Linux very frustrating. Now, depending on your personality, the challenges might be "fun" or they might be show-stopping, like they were for Fidatelo.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I'm always fascinated by the way putting linux on a computer turns it into a box.
Actually, I call any desktop or server a box. Windows box, *nix box....

Last edited by rjolley : 09-18-2008 at 10:33 AM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #8
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post

I do the same thing. Probably if i had to guess, you are in the IT industry as I am and it is just a habit...

As for Marc's question, sorry I can't help too much. I used to use linux alot back in the early 90s when it was a fad.. now that it is an actual productive operating system used by thousands of companies in every day business.. I find that I don't use it much anymore.

I think back when it was younger, I found it "cool" to try to "stick it" to Microsoft by doing everything I could within Linux. Now I don't really care about that. I run windows on my work laptop because of applications I have to use with work. I run windows on my home desktop because I mostly play games on it, and it is just easier and less frustrating to just do that in windows rather than trying to make it work in Linux.

The only linux server I have at home, is my home webserver/proxy server, but I can't tell you much about current distributions.. This linux box was originally Linux 1.2.13 code (I think from a 13 floppydisk slackware distribution or something) that I have hand upgraded for about 15 years.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Hi,

Any one here have up to date experience of using Linux as their main operating system (and if so which version and whats it like - especially for compatibility with window software (wine emulation?) ...?).

My two cents basically goes like so...

You cannot beat Linux for servers.

If you play games, Linux still isn't going to cut it yet, emulation or not.

If you want it for desktop business, a lot of distros are mature enough (Ubuntu being quite decent for dekstop/non-server linux) to do it, and remain compatible enough with windows files to push back & forth.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 09-18-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

This is going to be a totally blind recommendation (I have not used it yet), but for people using different OS's and computers between work/home, etc... this looks like a really cool utility: Dropbox - Home - Secure backup, sync and sharing made easy.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post

Oh I know. It's always the linux guys that use that word though.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:58 PM   #12
billethius
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
My two cents basically goes like so...

You cannot beat Linux for servers.

If you play games, Linux still isn't going to cut it yet, emulation or not.

If you want it for desktop business, a lot of distros are mature enough (Ubuntu being quite decent for dekstop/non-server linux) to do it, and remain compatible enough with windows files to push back & forth.

You're correct for anything really recent (especially DX10 stuff), but for a lot of slightly older stuff (and granted - my experience here is pretty small - just KOTOR, OOTP, and CivIV), I actually see better performance on linux than on windows - likely due to there being less overhead.
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #13
MikeVic
Head Coach

Blog eh.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote