Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-08-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Brian Billick is a really good color commentator

First, I don't like Brian Billick. I have the impression that, even in the megalomaniac-filled world of pro-football coaches, he stands out as a huge ego and kind of a dickhead.

I must, however, give credit where it is due. He did color for the Saints/Bucs game this Sunday, and he did it very well. He clearly understood the players and coaches of both teams and their strengths and weaknesses. And he also talked intelligently about the game from a film/coaches standpoint.

At one point the play-by-play guy asked him to predict a play, and Billick said that you actually don't go into a situation with a play in mind; you base it on the defensive tendencies and that he hadn't been watching the film that Jon Gruden had been watching, so he wasn't going to guess.

Right afterwards, however, he saw the Bucs' formation and gave an educated guess which turned out to be right. Then, on the replay, he explained why the players were lined up where they were and how that forced the defense into a certain reaction and how that helped him to predict how the play was going to develop all while going into the history of the formation and explaining how Bill Walsh was the first guy to use it.

And there were lots of little things like that all game. Very very good color commentary.

I think that coaches who come right off the sideline and into the booth can sometimes be awful (if they just don't know how to act on camera), but they can sometimes be refreshing because they are still so close to the game that they can really talk about it like a coach and they have not been announcers long enough to become that generic color guy (or, God forbid, get a schtick that ends up becoming bigger than the game).

I imagine that if Billick stays with it, he will start to lose some of his insight because he will start to have to talk about players and coaches that he didn't spend 80 hours a week gameplanning against. And, if he gets popular enough, they will move him to the marquee games, and he will have to spend all of his time bantering with Tony Sarigusa or whatever other jolly fat guy they have doing the sideline stuff at that time.

But, for now, he is good at what he does.

albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I sure missed him in Baltimore yesterday

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #3
Subby
lolzcat

Yeah I bet that loss stung.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

I agree with you albion. What I saw of him yesterday was entertaining and informative without being inane or generic. Of course, I only watched like 10 minutes of that game, but what I saw was good.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #5
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I only caught the end of the Bucs/Saints game (what they showed after DET/ATL) and I had totally even forgotten that he was doing that now, but I agree. The little I saw of him, I liked what I heard, and can only hope that the Packers get him to do one of their games.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

I think that coaches who come right off the sideline and into the booth can sometimes be awful (or, God forbid, get a schtick that ends up becoming bigger than the game).

Some of these old coaches come off the field, become color guys, develop a shtick and BOOM! they're around forever.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
Some of these old coaches come off the field, become color guys, develop a shtick and BOOM! they're around forever.

And you know, when that happens that means that they'll be there forever.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
And you know, when that happens that means that they'll be there forever.

You know another guy who'll be around forever, that's Brett Favre.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I stumbled across Bernie Kosar doing color during the preseason, and that dude blew my mind. He was talking about all kinds of things in the level of detail well beyond any other color guy I'd ever heard....the catch was that it was 100% QB-centric, but I was impressed.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:49 AM   #10
aran
High School Varsity

In New York we are stuck with Carl Banks.

CARL BANKS.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
You know another guy who'll be around forever, that's Brett Favre.

That gave me a good chuckle, just thought you'd like to know.