Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Huevos Rancheros

They're my favorite food at L&J's Cafe. I'm gonna miss ya.

Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Buccaneer
Head Coach

They're one of my favorite foods at any cafe or diner.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

*sniff*

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

I'm more of a Chilaquiles man myself, though...

Old 06-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

Double dola-

http://www.eskimo.com/~sockeye/ep/ljcafeep.html

Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post

Yeah, I swear to god that is my favorite restaurant here. I also like that guy's website...I've tried out many of the places and he's pretty spot on. That being said, how much does this guy weigh??? He eats out a lot!

Anyhow, La Malinche is another restaurant we'll miss. Damn Oklahoma without good Chihuahan Mexican!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Seriously, I could make a trip out to El Paso JUST to eat out at the various restaurants that I miss. I hope to god that I'm able to make the trip out there in September for the UTEP - UT-Austin game...

Old 06-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I also like that guy's website...I've tried out many of the places and he's pretty spot on. That being said, how much does this guy weigh??? He eats out a lot!

I'm stunnedSTUNNED that he doesn't have a review for the best steakhouse evar, Cattleman's. I'm equally stunned that he has a review for probably my favorite Chinese restaurant, a little hole-in-the-wall place in Abilene, Szechuan...

Last edited by JeeberD : 06-24-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:19 PM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

He lists Grigg's under "Closed". Are all the Grigg's locations closed now? I had heard that the West side location was closed, but thought that the one by the airport was still open. Please say it ain't so!!!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #10
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Season Tickets are still available for games including the UT Austin game.

Anyhow, I haven't heard of Grigg's. Is it Mexican? Where by the Airport? Near Cattle Baron?

We didn't eat at L&J's the first 8 years we were here. We moved to New York and then moved back. One of the guys I work with took me there and it's been our favorite restaurant. Their red and green salsa and baked chips are the best.

The good part is that the company I'm working for is based in El Paso, so I'll be coming back occassionally to eat...I mean work.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:19 AM   #11
Lorena
Unregistered

I love me some huevos rancheros, but

Quote:
Dola-

I'm more of a Chilaquiles man myself, though...

yes, I luuuuuv me some chilaquiles. I'll have to make some sometime it's been ages since I had 'em.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
Lorena
Unregistered

dola,

I never had migas 'til I moved to Austin. Our company ordered breakfast burritos and I saw "migas" and thought, what the heck is that? Not bad, but they ain't chilaquiles.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Season Tickets are still available for games including the UT Austin game.

It's not about being able to get tickets, it's about whether work will interfere with my being able to go...

Quote:
Anyhow, I haven't heard of Grigg's. Is it Mexican? Where by the Airport? Near Cattle Baron?

It's Mexican, but more New Mexican style than traditional. My mom's family used to live in New Mexico, and we used to go there fairly frequently (though we went to Leo's, then Avila's, more often). A Google search pulls up a map for it, so it looks like it's still there. It's located on Montana, a block east of Hawkins.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...8&z=17&iwloc=A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
I love me some huevos rancheros, but

yes, I luuuuuv me some chilaquiles. I'll have to make some sometime it's been ages since I had 'em.

The guys in the kitchen at work make them at least once a week. It's great. They don't use eggs, though, but they're still freaking fantastic...

Last edited by JeeberD : 06-25-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
JediKooter
Coordinator

Damn it!! Why did you guys have to start talking about breakfast Mexican food?? Being stuck in San Jose (you think there would be good Mexican food in a city called San Jose), the Mexican food sucks major ass here. Hey, there's a thing called spices, use them!!!

Huevos Rancheros and chilaquilas are some of the best breakfast foods in the universe.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #15
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
It's Mexican, but more New Mexican style than traditional. My mom's family used to live in New Mexico, and we used to go there fairly frequently (though we went to Leo's, then Avila's, more often). A Google search pulls up a map for it, so it looks like it's still there. It's located on Montana, a block east of Hawkins.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...8&z=17&iwloc=A
Ah, if you had said up the street from the Lamplighter (which is all nude now...was just topless when we moved away in 2004) I would've known where!

Anyhow, we love New Mexican food. It's lighter and is somewhat more healthy for you. We like going to Las Cruces or Albuquerque and getting New Mexican food.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
Lorena
Unregistered

Yummmmm

Old 06-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #17
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Yummmmm

If the food gods didn't want you to eat it, they wouldn't make it taste so dang good.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #18
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm biased, but I think I make the best version ever.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #19
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I'm biased, but I think I make the best version ever.

PM me the recipe, kthx.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #20
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

The only thing I know about Huevos Rancheros....is in a recent episode of Sesame Street my kids were watching, Luis wants to surprise Maria by making....you guessed it, HUEVOS RANCHEROS!

So he foolishly sends Elmo to Hooper's store for a pepper and 3 tomatoes. But of course, Elmo is side tracked by....Maria (GASP!)

So Telly goes to find him...and is trapped too, helping at the fix it shop.

Then Rosita, and she's snared in Maria's web as well.

Finally Luis has to call Alan at Hooper's store to find out where his ingredients are...hilarity ensues.

That covers what I know about HUEVOS RANCHEROS
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #21
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
PM me the recipe, kthx.

Well, I don't usually use recipes for anything (unless it's just as a base to make the right amount), but this is what I do:

1. 3/4ish lbs of good chorizo (that's 3 quarters of a pound) - fry it up in a pan - save enough fat to equal like a tablespoon of fat

2. Chop up half of a medium onion or half of a large one (1-2 cups depending on preference); Chop up 2-4 cloves of garlic (depending on taste); Either chop up one jalapeno, or use a can of pre-chopped (or more depending on taste - I also use a serrano pepper chopped fine, but I like it hot)

3. Put onion in pan with fat and cook on medium until a tiiny bit tender - then put in garlic and peppers and cook another 2-3 minutes, but don't let the garlic brown at all.

4. Put a 14 o can of chopped tomatoes with juice in the pan, and slowly bring to a boil. Turn it down to low (but not too low), and simmer for like 5 minutes or so.

5. Heat up 4 CORN tortillas (NOT flour) in the the microwave (with a splash of water, or in the oven loosely wrapped in foil). You can also fry them up up a pan with butter. You could use a tostada, but I don't

6. This part is tricky. Take another pan and either put butter flavored Pam (what I do) or use 2-3 tablespoons butter and heat it up on medium-low. Then what I do is use these little metal rings (kind of like biscuit cutters) and carefully put an egg in each. DO NOT BREAK YOKE!! If you do, use another egg. Sprinkle a tiny bit of water or melted butter on each egg. Take a lid from another pan or pot that's a little smaller, and cover the eggs. Let it cook slowly until the white is solid, but the yoke is still liquidy. I like my eggs running, but you can let them solidify a little more, but not hard.

7. Take a tortilla and put it on a plate. Take some chorizo and put a layer (however you want) on tortilla. Spoon however much tomato sauce onto chorizo. Carefully put an egg on the chorizo/tomato mixture.

8. Use salt to taste. You can also use sour cream, cilantro (yuck), hot sauce (I like Tapitio on mine), or avocado.

It sounds complicated, but it's not!!!!

Last edited by Schmidty : 06-25-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #22
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I've eaten huevos in probably 20-25 states and it's amazing how different one can make this great dish. And I don't recall having it prepared like the one Lorena shown, which looks great.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #23
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Ditto. The ones at L&J's look much different. We're also big fans of the flour tortillas.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:36 AM   #24
Lorena
Unregistered

Chorizo on huevos rancheros eh? Sounds delicious, I'm gonna try it, thanks for the recipe Schmidty!
Old 06-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #25
JeeberD
General Manager

Chorizo in just about anything is killer...

Old 06-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #26
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Had my last meal at L&J's today. Took a pic for rememberance:

Last edited by Raiders Army : 06-28-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #27
st.cronin
General Manager

I made a discovery recently that made me think of this thread. There is a brewery in Moriarty, NM, called the Rio Grande Brewery (or something similar), which makes a chile verde flavored beer. It is actually quite good, and has most of the characteristic flavor notes of green chile. I am planning to have one with breakfast tomorrow, making myself my own version of huevos rancheros.

I had found a green chili wine earlier in the year, didn't like that nearly as much.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #28
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

This thread makes me hungry. I've found that there's only one or two places I can go locally where I can find really decent Mexican food (or what I think Mexican food should be, given that I'm originally from TX but have spent a good portion of time up here in the mid-Atlantic).

Maybe that'll be breakfast tomorrow (made from scratch on my own). Actually, maybe that'll be lunch. I don't think I could workout after a breakfast like that.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #29
JeeberD
General Manager

Gonna be hitting L&J's Saturday morning, RA. I'll tell 'em you said hi...

Old 09-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #30
Raiders Army
Coordinator

effin a. I would kill for a plate.

Next time I get back there I'm bringing back some chips and salsa with me. The green is best, but we also like the red. The baked chips are something else as well.

We ate at Los Tres Amigos yesterday and I almost cried at the quality of food there. Supposedly it's a great Mexican restaurant, but nothing holds a candle to L&J's....except maybe La Malinche. We like that place as well.

Marie's is a great "all you can eat" Mexican place, except their salsa is freakin incredibly hot. I crapped out napalm the last time we ate there.