Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I need to buy a keyboard...

I'm taking a piano class and need to pick up a keyboard to practice at home. I don't want to spend a lot, but don't want a piece of crap either. The place the professor recommended starts at $500-$600. I have a spending limit at about half that.

Is there anyone here who knows keyboards that can make any suggestions?

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Hurst2112
College Starter

Are you looking for something with fully weighted keys? Semi-weighted keys? Fully weighted keyboards replicate the feel of a real keyboard but are more espensive.

Do you need 88 keys or will 76, 64 be enough?

Here's a list of electric pianos and keyboard from musicians friend. If you are willing to spend the number you gave (and you should only if you are serious about it), then there are some really nice models you could get for that price.

Don't worry about getting the most bells and whistles for your money. Look for other features (88 keys, weighted FULL keyboard, etc). This will ensure you have the most realistic piano 'feel' and it will help you exercise your hands for playing a real piano. Save the balls out keyboard for when you get in a Yes cover band. haha.

Musician's Friend - Search Results

EDIT: Just noticed you wanted to spend half of the number you gave. IMO, this is a great piano for you, under 3 bills. It's almost everything you need. It DOES include a metronome with will be the greatest thing you will ever learn to use in regards to music.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ard?sku=702663

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 09-02-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

If you need 88 keys and fully weighted keys, I'm not sure you're going to able to avoid spending what the professor said. At least, when I was looking a few years ago, I didn't see any keyboard that had 88 fully weighted keys that also cost under $500.

Browsing the site Hurst linked too, I see a few in the $400 area that have 88 fully weighted keys. If you think you can get away with 76 keys, the one Hurst linked too looks good. I doubt, for a piano class, a 64 key keyboard will be good enough.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I was surprised that she said the one requirement for a keyboard was that it needs at least 49 keys. She then told us about Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH (and the local stores) and said they have good prices... not as far as I saw though.

I don't think I need 88 keys. I do want fully weighted keys though.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

Keystation 88es - 88-Key Semi-Weighted USB MIDI Controller
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...88es-main.html

What about this keyboard from M-Audio? (question is for both the potential buyer and for expert opinion)

It's $250. Seems like a good price for a 88-key semi-weighted keyboard.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Hurst... That Yamaha looks the same as the model we have at the school! Although I believe the keyboards have an off-brand name.

Dutch... that looks nice. I'm wondering what Hurst thinks too. I like the USB (assuming that this allows to hook up to my computer and record it, or have other features... I'm at work now so can only skim)
Old 09-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I was surprised that she said the one requirement for a keyboard was that it needs at least 49 keys. She then told us about Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH (and the local stores) and said they have good prices... not as far as I saw though.

I don't think I need 88 keys. I do want fully weighted keys though.

Those prices look horrible. Maybe every keyboard there is full with the bells and whistles Hurst was talking about. I'd just go with the one Hurst linked to.

As for the one Dutch linked to, I'm not sure on this, but "USB MIDI Controller" sounds to me like the keyboard is only designed to be hooked up to a computer. That you wouldn't be able to just play it, you'd have to hook it up to your computer. If that requirement is fine for you, then I'd say it looks like a pretty good option. I don't know much about MIDI Controllers though.

And for what it's worth, most keyboards can be hooked up to a computer through USB. My keyboard has a jack for USB, and it's a rather cheap-ish one. Although, I don't think they come with the USB cable or software (mine didn't I don't think), and the M-Audio one looks like it at least comes with software.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
Dutch
"Dutch"

Thanks sab,

That seems right on the Midi-Controller...I think you have to use a PC to give it it's "brains".
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Those prices look horrible. Maybe every keyboard there is full with the bells and whistles Hurst was talking about. I'd just go with the one Hurst linked to.

As for the one Dutch linked to, I'm not sure on this, but "USB MIDI Controller" sounds to me like the keyboard is only designed to be hooked up to a computer. That you wouldn't be able to just play it, you'd have to hook it up to your computer. If that requirement is fine for you, then I'd say it looks like a pretty good option. I don't know much about MIDI Controllers though.

And for what it's worth, most keyboards can be hooked up to a computer through USB. My keyboard has a jack for USB, and it's a rather cheap-ish one. Although, I don't think they come with the USB cable or software (mine didn't I don't think), and the M-Audio one looks like it at least comes with software.

for starting, I'd stay away from USB controller type keyboards. These are for use with software (Reason, Ableton Live, etc). They control aspects of the program. Most of these come with no internal sound banks. They just tell the software to play sounds.

That's great but if you don't have a software bundle, you won't get sounds out of the keyboard. Also, MIDI can have delay if your computer isn't set up right. Your sound will have a slight delay when you hit the piano key.

You'll want a digital piano of some sort. 49 keys is a little over 4 octaves. That's probably why the teacher was saying you need at least that many. And, if you quit playing (which I hope you don't), a digital piano has a good resale value. There are always parents looking for piano type things for their budding child musicians.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #10
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i use a place in la that allows you to rent some good stuff for as little as a dollar a day, and that money goes towards buying a piano in the future if you want. kind of a safeguard if you hate it and quit, and gives you a good idea what to buy going forward.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #11
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I just found one of the Yamaha NP-30's on craigslist for $150. He says it is like new... Should I consider used? If so, what should I look for if I check it out?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I just found one of the Yamaha NP-30's on craigslist for $150. He says it is like new... Should I consider used? If so, what should I look for if I check it out?

I'd consider used! That's a pretty good deal.

The thing with pianos like that is that they are pretty durable. I'm sure the person that is selling it didn't take it on the road. If it didn't sit in a church, it's probably been in the person's basement or family room.

If you go there, just have him run the machine and show you the features. Make sure the speakers and headphone jacks are working. Make sure there aren't any dead keys. The money you save will allow you to buy a bench (something that's very important for beginners). Also, make sure it has the sustain pedal with it. Those are about 25-40 bucks but still, it should come with the item.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Thanks!

Now the dreaded wait to see if I get a reply on the used one...