Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

The best resignation diss ever

So Jay Mariotti resigned from the Sun Times because he believes that the Web is the future of media, and that he will find equal or greater success there than from the comfort of his old media lodgings. At least one of which is probably true.* Which I could have sworn I saw a thread around here about, but 'search' says it ain't so.

Here's his Editor-in-Chief's response, sent out as a press release:

Diss:
Quote:
We wish Jay well and will miss him -- not personally, of course -- but in the sense of noticing he is no longer here, at least for a few days.

Full Text:
Quote:
Topic: Miscellaneous items
Date/Time: 8/27/2008 1:19:18 PM
Title: Sun-Times' statement regarding Jay Mariotti
Posted By: Jim Romenesko

Release from the Sun-Times

August 27, 2008

Chicago Sun-Times Editor in Chief Michael Cooke issued the following statement today regarding the resignation of sports columnist Jay Mariotti:

The Chicago Sun-Times had the best sports section in the city before Jay Mariotti came to town -- that's why he signed up with us -- and his departure does not change that.

We still have the stars -- respected veterans such as Rick Telander, fiery newcomers such as Greg Couch, quirky voices like Carol Slezak, not to mention seasoned beat reporters tracking the Cubs and White Sox toward their eventual collision in the World Series, plus the Bears, the Bulls, the Blackhawks, and all the other teams that make Chicago the sports center of the nation. We could have a World Series in Chicago in a couple of months ... talk about excitement!

The Chicago Sun-Times and suntimes.com will continue to have the scores and the stories before anyone else, anywhere, and the deepest and most comprehensive stats and standings. We wish Jay well and will miss him -- not personally, of course -- but in the sense of noticing he is no longer here, at least for a few days.

A paper, like a sports franchise, is something that moves into the future. Stars come and stars go, but the Sun-Times sports section was, is and will continue to be the best in the city.

*On the other hand, what happens if energy costs skyrocket and easy Internet access suddenly becomes unaffordable?

Last edited by NoMyths : 08-27-2008 at 06:32 PM.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Marriotti seems like a ginormous ass.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

that's beautiful
Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Mariotti is a complete and utter douchebag. Hopefully this means he won't be on PTI as a guest host...
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
On the other hand, what happens if energy costs skyrocket and easy Internet access suddenly becomes unaffordable?

You do realize that the energy industry has said that there would be plenty of electricity available if we were to see a substantial increase in the use of electric cars?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
You do realize that the energy industry has said that there would be plenty of electricity available if we were to see a substantial increase in the use of electric cars?

I do realize the energy industry has said that there would be plenty of electricity available. And while I hope they are correct, could they really say otherwise?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post
I do realize the energy industry has said that there would be plenty of electricity available. And while I hope they are correct, could they really say otherwise?

Yes, because it was in response to pressures from governmental and auto industry peoples to see if we can escalate the prototype and development of alternate fuel vehicles that would require electric recharging. As with all fuel sources (alternate or traditional), there are trade-offs and some have advocated not going down the road of electric vehicles, because of the increased demand for electric-generated power of all kinds (which was probably why ethanol took the lead, much to subsidized joy of corn producers). Anyway, the point was that if we have electric generation capabilities to power many more electric vehicles, then we certainly can power the servers and communications to run the internet.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
John Galt
Pro Starter

Worst. Threadjack. Ever.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
Buccaneer
Head Coach

oh, sorry.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #10
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Yes, because it was in response to pressures from governmental and auto industry peoples to see if we can escalate the prototype and development of alternate fuel vehicles that would require electric recharging. As with all fuel sources (alternate or traditional), there are trade-offs and some have advocated not going down the road of electric vehicles, because of the increased demand for electric-generated power of all kinds (which was probably why ethanol took the lead, much to subsidized joy of corn producers). Anyway, the point was that if we have electric generation capabilities to power many more electric vehicles, then we certainly can power the servers and communications to run the internet.

Fair enough -- I'll hope so. Now back to admiring Mr. Cooke's work.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Worst. Threadjack. Ever.

My thoughts exactly. Nice catch JG.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

What if the inter-tubes get clogged?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #13
SFL Cat
College Starter

beautiful...
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #14
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Very nicely done. I wish some of my current colleagues were leaving so I could steal that line.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #15
Sgran
High School Varsity

I didn't mind Mariotti that much. His articles were usually well thought through and he'd have a good line or two in there. The "not personally, of course" is one of the greatest putdowns I've ever seen, however, and I could imagine the beat reporters at the Suntimes hated his guts. But think about how bad the situation must have become if Mariotti left the paper after signing a huge three-year contract with nothing else in the works. That floor must have been toxic.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #16
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

And here's Roger Ebert's opinon on Mariotti leaving.

Jay the Rat :: rogerebert.com :: Commentary

Jay the Rat

BY ROGER EBERT / August 28, 2008

An open letter to sports columnist Jay Mariotti, who resigned from the Sun-Times and lashed out during a TV interview announcing that newspapers were dead:

Dear Jay,

What an ugly way to leave the Sun-Times. It does not speak well for you. Your timing was exquisite. You signed a new contract, waited until days after the newspaper had paid for your trip to Beijing at great cost, and then resigned with only an email. You saved your explanation for a local television station.

As someone who was working here for 24 years before you arrived, I think you owed us more than that. You owed us decency. The fact that you saved your attack for TV only completes our portrait of you as a rat.

Newspapers are not dead, Jay, although you predicted the death of the Sun-Times and the Tribune. Neither paper will die any time soon. Job-hunting tip: It is imprudent to go on TV and predict the collapse of a newspaper you might hope would hire you. Times are hard in the newspaper business, and for the economy as a whole. Did you only sign on for the luxury cruise? There's an old saying that you might have come across once or twice on the sports beat: "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

Newspapers are not dead, Jay, because there are still readers who want the whole story, not a sound bite. If you only work on television, viewers may get a little weary of you shouting at them. You were a great shouter in print, that's for sure, stomping your feet when owners, coaches, players and fans didn't agree with you. It was an entertaining show. Good luck getting one of your 1,000-word rants on the air.

The rest of us are still at work, still putting out the best paper we can. We believe in our profession, and in the future. And we believe in our Internet site, which you also whacked as you slithered out the door. I don't know how your column was doing, but we have the most popular sports section in Chicago. The reports and blog entries by our Washington editor Lynn Sweet have become a must-stop for millions of Americans in this election year.

After a recent blog entry I wrote about the Beijing Olympics, I woke up at 5 a.m. one morning, when North America was asleep, and found that 40 percent of my 100 most recent visitors had been from China. I don't have any complaints about our Web site. So far this month my Web page page has been visited from virtually every country on earth, including one visit from the Vatican City. The Pope, no doubt. Hope you were doing as well.

You have left us, Jay, at a time when the newspaper is once again in the hands of people who love newspapers and love producing them. You managed to stay here through the dark days of the thieves Conrad Black and David Radler. The paper lost millions. Incredibly, we are still paying Black's legal fees.

I started here when Marshall Field and Jim Hoge were running the paper. I stayed through the Rupert Murdoch regime. I was asked, "How can you work for a Murdoch paper?" My reply was: "It's not his paper. It's my paper. He only owns it." That's the way I've always felt about the Sun-Times, and I still do. On your way out, don't let the door bang you on the ass.

Your former colleague,

Roger Ebert
Old 08-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #17
KWhit
Coordinator

Great. I've always loved Ebert.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:22 AM   #18
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:50 AM   #19
SFL Cat
College Starter

Not a big fan of Ebert, but that was classic.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #20
korme
Go Reds

I like Ebert, but that was cheesey..
korme is offline   Reply With Quote