Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Possible Plot to kill Obama

My neighbor is one of the senior Secret Service agents here in Denver in charge of security for Obama at the convention and we just spoke about this being a real threat being who Obama is. He was really concerned people would be out to get him.

The New York Times on the Web:

Last edited by Galaril : 08-26-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

Hopefully all Secret Service agents aren't such blabbermouths.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Hopefully all Secret Service agents aren't such blabbermouths.

Yeah, to be honest he literally said those two sentences when I asked how goes it and that was it. I don't ever feel comfortable talking to him about what he is doing since I assume he can't say for obvious reasons. And that goes double for my other neighbor who is a reserve Navy Seal/Blackwater contractor over in the "middle east".

Last edited by Galaril : 08-26-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sounds like talking to my uncle back when he worked for No Such Agency.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Sounds like talking to my uncle back when he worked for No Such Agency.

My block parties are a lot of fun with my background overseas in the Air Force and government these two guys oh yeah and my neighbor who is a manager of a sporting goods shop and a Kenneddy conspircay nut.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I thought they arrested a guy last night, he was supposedly a white supremest.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
Groundhog
Coordinator

A friend of mine had to organise security for some high profile exec from their company, and one of the guys hired was ex-Secret Service. Some of the stuff he told my friend about former presidents (and first ladys) was probably not the kind of stuff the US government would want their former employees talking about.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

To this day my brother still will not talk about what he saw or did in South America that made him want to get out of the service and not even work in Law Enforcement.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
SackAttack
Head Coach

I think what it comes down to is kind of like those guys who were arrested in Chicago a few years ago for "plans to bring down the Sears Tower."

Did they want to? Sure, probably.

Was that particular bunch of yahoos likely to ever do anything? Eh, probably not.

Same token, I'm sure there's any number of fringe nutjobs out there who, for one reason or another, would love to take a shot at Senator Obama. Some of them might even be competent enough to get past the "somebody ought to..." stage. They likely ALL cause the Secret Service nightmares, and rightfully so. All it takes is one guy who slips through security.

I guess what I'm saying is:

a) I don't think it's "possible" that someone would like to kill him. I think it's downright likely that there's at least one person in the streets of Denver right now with that on his or her mind. BUT

b) given the history, particularly within the Democratic Party, I think the Secret Service is probably in lockdown mode right now. The last comparison they want drawn between Obama and either of the Kennedys is one that's drawn in lead. I think there will be those who want to, and at least one or two will try, but I think the Secret Service will do their jobs quietly and well this week. We'll hear about the fringe captures, the "Sears Tower" wannabes, if you will.

We will probably not hear about anybody who gets remotely (realistically) close to Senator Obama, on the other hand.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

Pretty much my thought process as well, whether it's something like this, or terrorist threats on a much greater scale in this country.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #11
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I thought they arrested a guy last night, he was supposedly a white supremest.
Are they going to let Bill out in time to speak at the convention?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #12
SFL Cat
College Starter

Hopefully the cops didn't come across this plot using illegal wire tapping or racially profiling white supremacist types...

Last edited by SFL Cat : 08-26-2008 at 09:31 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #13
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Hopefully the cops didn't come across this plot using illegal wire tapping or racially profiling white supremacist types...

Yes, I can tell you would be heartbroken by it.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #14
Sgran
High School Varsity

here's a follow-up from the LA Times. Men's threat to kill Obama is downplayed - Los Angeles Times

My favorite line is: "The law recognizes a difference between a true threat -- that's one that can be carried out -- and the reported racist rants of drug abusers," Eid said at a news conference.

And can you believe this guy jumped 6 storeys? did he really think he could just land like Neo and duck through some bushes? Oh right, he was on meth...
Old 08-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #15
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I think there are about 11 white supremacist left now.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #16
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I think there are about 11 white supremacist left now.

You've never been to northern Idaho.

White Supremacist rallies up there draw thousands, from all over the country.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #17
chesapeake
College Starter

The Secret Service is pulling out all the stops on both conventions, but they are paying particular attention to Obama's security because of the ridiculously high volume of threats made against him on a daily basis. Interestingly, almost as many threats are based on the made-up crap about Obama being a Muslim as there are because he is an African-American.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #18
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

What a shock.

I hate to say it, but one of the concerns I have in voting this November is who will be the VP. It's completely due to the fact that if it is Obama there will be nuts out there who won't be able to handle melanin in the White House, and McCain would be the oldest elected President, and he has a history of skin cancer.

It's kinda like if you are going into the season with a question mark about the health of your QB, how do you feel about the backup.

Of course, I hope they both live a long time. It's just an issue.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #19
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I hate to say it, but one of the concerns I have in voting this November is who will be the VP.

I don't think you're alone and I think that was a factor in Obama selecting Biden as his running mate. Whether you like his politics or not, it is hard to argue that Biden isn't capable of doing the job.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I don't think you're alone and I think that was a factor in Obama selecting Biden as his running mate. Whether you like his politics or not, it is hard to argue that Biden isn't capable of doing the job.

***camera pans to Hillary waving in the distance***
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #21
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
***camera pans to Hillary waving in the distance***

Given the topic, I'd wager she's also got a sniper rifle slung over one shoulder...
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #22
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
here's a follow-up from the LA Times. Men's threat to kill Obama is downplayed - Los Angeles Times

My favorite line is: "The law recognizes a difference between a true threat -- that's one that can be carried out -- and the reported racist rants of drug abusers," Eid said at a news conference.

And can you believe this guy jumped 6 storeys? did he really think he could just land like Neo and duck through some bushes? Oh right, he was on meth...

Yeah, I don't see how they said that there was no "credible" plot or threat at least. They found these meta heads with rifles with scopes on them, flak jackets, binoculars, and walk talkies as well as drugs. What else did they need to consider it credible? Sure these guys were drug heads but look at guys like Hinkley, Booth, Ruby, Sirhan . They aren't exactly examples of normal level head guys either. I also, am wondering if Obama is staying away from Denver becuase of these threats or do the nominees stay away until the night of there nomination? I can't remember.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #23
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's pretty standard for the nominee to arrive on the day of the acceptance speech.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #24
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's pretty standard for the nominee to arrive on the day of the acceptance speech.

Oh OK thanks.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #25
chesapeake
College Starter

Or the night before?