Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #351
Kodos
Resident Alien

I broke down and bought the CE. Hopefully they can fix dynasty mode. Haven't played either game yet, but will fire it up after I play a dynasty game in NCAA.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #352
RainMaker
General Manager

The Madden IQ feature actually makes sense if it's done properly. I've always felt that the sliders should adjust to the player as he plays through a dynasty. For instance, if you're averaging 1.5 yards a carry, it'll make running easier. It will also take into account the talent you have on your team. While sliders are effective, they are also maddening to adjust to a perfect level (or re-adjust when you get better).

In any event, can those who have the game confirm the franchise mode problems? I really only play franchise with Madden and will pass if it's real bad.

I still don't get how franchise can continually be worse than it was 6 or 7 years ago. I remember 03 had a real solid franchise mode where the CPU wasn't completely inept. Progression was a little funky at times, but it did what it was supposed to. I had some roommates at the time and we played through a ton of seasons. How does the game actually get worse over time?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #353
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I still don't get how franchise can continually be worse than it was 6 or 7 years ago. I remember 03 had a real solid franchise mode where the CPU wasn't completely inept. Progression was a little funky at times, but it did what it was supposed to. I had some roommates at the time and we played through a ton of seasons. How does the game actually get worse over time?
paging mbbf
Old 08-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #354
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
paging mbbf
It's not a mbbf rant. I just don't see how you could ruin an element of a game that was actually pretty good. The old franchise mode had some issues, but it was playable. I remember when OL pancakes was the biggest issue in franchise mode. I'd love to go back to those days.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #355
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
paging mbbf

***busy psyching himself up for Mizzou f-ball season opener***
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #356
sabotai
General Manager

Got Madden CE today.

I started up a franchise and played a preseason game, Giants vs. Carolina. Rushing was low for both teams, but I think that's because 1) First game for me, so I would hope I wouldn't do too well and 2) My Madden IQ score. I was terrible at the Run Defense test, and did very well with the Offense Run test. The Running test was so easy, I let myself get tackled a few times so that it wouldn't get out of hand.

Final score was 21-9. 3 total picks, 2 by them, 1 by me. Mine was just a dumb throw on my part. One of their picks was a lob pass that my safety playing center field got to. The other was the last play of the game when they were at the 4 yard line with 4 seconds left and they tried to force a pass. Total passing yards seemed about good.

So far, I'd say much better than 08, which I was ready to throw out almost immediately. I doubt they changed anything, but I'm going to give Superstar mode a try at some point.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #357
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I'm really enjoying it so far.

But I'm a noob when it comes to actually controlling the games. I've been a CPU vs. CPU player for many years (doing the GM part of it).

With the "My Skill" feature I've got it really balanced, my last game I won 17 - 16 in the final 2 seconds with a field goal. Was a TON of fun.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #358
mattlanta
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I'm really enjoying it so far.

But I'm a noob when it comes to actually controlling the games. I've been a CPU vs. CPU player for many years (doing the GM part of it).

With the "My Skill" feature I've got it really balanced, my last game I won 17 - 16 in the final 2 seconds with a field goal. Was a TON of fun.
Are you playing on Rookie mode for rushing?
mattlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:15 AM   #359
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
Are you playing on Rookie mode for rushing?

Rushing - All Pro
Passing - Rookie
Rush Defense - All Pro
Pass Defense - Rookie

I think my Madden score is 400 right now. Obviously I have a lot of practicing to do.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #360
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hmmm. I was just thinking about sliders in Madden 09. Maybe the best way to get sliders that are perfect for you personally is to play a series of games with you and the cpu controlling the same team, changing teams for each successive game to account for a variety of skill levels/play styles among teams. After 10 games, you'd probably end up with a very good slider set for your style of play.

Last edited by Kodos : 08-20-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #361
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm glad I didn't give into my temptation to pick up the Collector's edition to get Head Coach early. There are an increasing number of posts on EA's forums about franchises completely freezing on the menu screens in the 2nd and 3rd years. The developer on OS has just started a thread to collect data, and over 20 people have reported the same problem there:

POST if your Franchise is freezing (Please read thread rules before posting) - Operation Sports Forums

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-25-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #362
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Official patch news from Ian Cummings on the OS boards.

Two Weeks of Madden 09, and Official Patch News! - Operation Sports Forums

Some nice things in here, 18 listed fixes, including in-game freezes being figured out and fixed.

They are still trying to find the cause of "a franchise stability issue" (I assume the franchise freeze in later years?) and will update "as soon as we can".

Much better communication than in the past (which was virtually none) that at least sounds like they want to get things right.

Still having fun with the game and if all of these items get in it will be even better.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #363
RainMaker
General Manager

So is this game not ready for primetime if you're just a guy who likes playing franchise mode? Trying to get a jist of the vibe on OS but they keep deleting/closing all negative threads.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #364
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
So is this game not ready for primetime if you're just a guy who likes playing franchise mode? Trying to get a jist of the vibe on OS but they keep deleting/closing all negative threads.

Well, I'd say that is a bad sign.

I'm proud of myself that I've managed to hold off buying Madden thus far. First time in a long, long time. I even held it in my hands on Sunday and still didn't make the purchase... I kind of felt like a heroin addict that had kicked his habit.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:08 PM   #365
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Trying to get a jist of the vibe on OS but they keep deleting/closing all negative threads.

Am I the only one who can't stand the fact that they delete/lock threads for what appears to be no reason? I mean some of them are excessive but there are some insightful threads locked for no reason other than to not offend EA or so it seems.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:48 PM   #366
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

No, you are not alone.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #367
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Am I the only one who can't stand the fact that they delete/lock threads for what appears to be no reason? I mean some of them are excessive but there are some insightful threads locked for no reason other than to not offend EA or so it seems.

There's a stickied thread on top of the Madden forum (and the Head Coach forum) where people ask the devs questions. The threads I've seen locked (at least in the HC forum, I've barely looked in the Madden one) are ones where people either should put what they said into one of the stickied threads or to PM the devs directly. Either that, or threads started about topics that are already brought up in other threads.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:25 AM   #368
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
There's a stickied thread on top of the Madden forum (and the Head Coach forum) where people ask the devs questions. The threads I've seen locked (at least in the HC forum, I've barely looked in the Madden one) are ones where people either should put what they said into one of the stickied threads or to PM the devs directly. Either that, or threads started about topics that are already brought up in other threads.

In the Madden and NCAA forum its a lot different, different mods. One that sticks out, in the NCAA forum a thread was posted asking about impressions of last gen versions. It was locked, mod said use the stickied thread but there is not stickied thread for last gen versions. Its been going on over there for quite some time.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote