Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Comic: For Better or For Worse..(Random Musing)

Well, I have to say I have read this strip since I was in middle school and I don't know why, but i have always stayed with it.

Well enter this weeks strips where Elizabeth is getting married. There is one with her and her dad getting their picture taken and it just slammed me...If my daughter decides to be like her mother, I could be walking her down the isle in 7 years....I paniced because I am not ready for that....

I ran to my wife....in a panic...almost hyper ventilating...trying to tell her what had me in such a fit...it wasn't until she smacked me, told me to calm down and when I told her...she laughed....laughed hysterically...

I don't know what made me do it....but today...I still sit and I think about it and I have come to the conclusion.

1) I am turning 35 this year and I have always fought the label of old. I always say you are as young as you feel but recently...I feel old. Also having players retire in the NFL, MLB, and NBA that you have watch get drafted, play their career and then be done has not helped.

2) Money, we just recently got into a great spot in life and I am finally recovered from the dot bomb era where I was unemployed for about 2.5 years and living on my savings, investments and retirement money. I want to provide my only girl with the biggest and best wedding and I started adding the numbers in my head and It hit the alarm...I never thought about this...their college yes...but not their weddings.

Anyways, I had to ramble, anyone else have these type of moments?

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Sgran
High School Varsity

The worst part is thinking about what I was doing when I was 14.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Well, I have to say I have read this strip since I was in middle school and I don't know why, but i have always stayed with it.

Well enter this weeks strips where Elizabeth is getting married. There is one with her and her dad getting their picture taken and it just slammed me...If my daughter decides to be like her mother, I could be walking her down the isle in 7 years....I paniced because I am not ready for that....

I ran to my wife....in a panic...almost hyper ventilating...trying to tell her what had me in such a fit...it wasn't until she smacked me, told me to calm down and when I told her...she laughed....laughed hysterically...

I don't know what made me do it....but today...I still sit and I think about it and I have come to the conclusion.

1) I am turning 35 this year and I have always fought the label of old. I always say you are as young as you feel but recently...I feel old. Also having players retire in the NFL, MLB, and NBA that you have watch get drafted, play their career and then be done has not helped.

2) Money, we just recently got into a great spot in life and I am finally recovered from the dot bomb era where I was unemployed for about 2.5 years and living on my savings, investments and retirement money. I want to provide my only girl with the biggest and best wedding and I started adding the numbers in my head and It hit the alarm...I never thought about this...their college yes...but not their weddings.

Anyways, I had to ramble, anyone else have these type of moments?

Yep, I have those moments every now and then. Not necessarily about weddings (we've already told our oldest we will give her exactly how much we spent on OUR wedding... about 200 bucks), but I have mini-freakouts about how quickly the kids are growing up. It seems like just yesterday that I held my son Andrew in my arms for the first time, and he just had his 8th birthday.

Bleah. Thanks for a downer of a topic, Dennis!
Old 08-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
molson
General Manager

The passage of time is a funny thing. College definitely feels like it was more recent than my first post-college job.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm still amazed by how time 'speeds up' as you age. A school year used to feel like an eternity when I was a kid. In high school it still felt long, but not quite the same. Now it seems that a year goes by in a relatively brisk pace. I can't imagine what time must be like for an 80 year old. Do they blink and find themselves at their 85th birthday party?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

That comic strip was always part of my family when I was a kid. I was the same age as the son, my sister was the same age as the daughter, and both of us even wound up going into the same lines of work. Luckily that third kid came along and broke the spell.

Also, we didn't have a dog that drowned heroically. Excuse me, it's getting a little dusty in here.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Just read in the paper today that Johnston has decided not to retire as planned. She is going to reboot back to the beginning of the strip and intersperse original strips with news ones drawn in the retro style.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Just read in the paper today that Johnston has decided not to retire as planned. She is going to reboot back to the beginning of the strip and intersperse original strips with news ones drawn in the retro style.

Interesting move...although, I would like to see at least the family grow to where April is at Vet school....also, the stuff with their grandfather has hit home with me as I had that experience a bit ago with mine.