Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

Fantasy Football Keeper Advice

Hopefully this can be a multi-purpose fantasy football thread. Anyway, we can keep one guy as a lifetime keeper, and one guy for just one year.

Last year, I picked Shaun Alexander as my one-time guy (bleh), and Joseph Addai as my lifetime guy.

So this year, I'm thinking I better keep Addai as my lifetime again... but I have quite a few options for my one-time guy:

Carson Palmer
Brandon Jacobs
Reggie Wayne
Ronnie Brown

I'm heavily leaning towards Wayne. He can be the #1 WR in fantasy, and I'm scared about Jacobs' and Brown's health/consistency. Palmer is a dark-horse to keep here, but I think the other three are better choices.

Thanks for any input.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I wholeheartedly agree
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Well...

how many teams are in the league?
How many QB's get played?
Where do you draft?

I would personaly keep Palmer.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Alexander bit a lot of people. Addai is a good keeper, as he will continue to be a solid back. I would also concur on keeping Wayne. I imagine Palmer will turn things around from last year, but like you said, Wayne is a top 3, if not top 2, WR.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Well...

how many teams are in the league?
How many QB's get played?
Where do you draft?

I would personaly keep Palmer.

12 teams, one QB, I lost my first rounder next year, but would've been picking third... So my first selection is in round two. Does this change your opinion at all?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
kurtism
High School Varsity

Aside from having two keepers from the same team, I can't think of another reason why Wayne shouldn't be the keeper.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:21 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Not sure why the love for Wayne.

Palmer is a top 5 fantasy QB who will get alot more points then Wayne would.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:58 AM   #8
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I kept Carson Palmer over Tom Brady last year.

I did not do so, how you say, "good"?

With that said, I'm keeping Palmer again this year, just because good QBs score consistently higher, and even a mediocore QB can usually match scores with a top-tier WR or RB (depending on your scoring system, of course). A mediocore WR (or a top WR having a mediocore year) does not score so hot, and they're also a dime a dozen. WRs in general are much more available, by design, so that's also something to consider. There's going to be 5-10 top tier QBs, and their could be anywhere upwards of 20 top tier WRs available in most drafts, even with keepers. In a keeper league, you could easily have only one or two blue chip QBs available, and it doesn't make much sense to let one go.

Wayne certainly has great potential though. Who knows what's going on in Marvin's mind right now, and how his Perry Mason proceedings are going to effect his play and/or the team's relationship with him.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ok, I'm looking at last year's scoring output...

Palmer was ranked 9th in QBs (a bad year for him), and averaged 13.9 points per game. Wayne was ranked 4th in WRs (something more reasonable for what he could do this year again) and averaged 12.8 points per game)...

Moss was #1 in WRs with 18 PPG, followed by a 14PPG and then gradually going down... Brady was #1 in QBs with 24.1 PPGs, followed by a 17.9, and then gradually going down but with a bunch more higher scoring QBs than WRs.

I think I can see the point that in the end, Palmer can give me more points, and I can gamble that I find a couple of sleeper WRs that give me consistent points...
Old 08-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
BigMak
n00b

In a 1 QB league, I would keep Wayne. Most teams are going to keep at least 1 RB. The second keeper will more than likely be a RB or top WR. Only QB's I can see definitely being kept are Brady and Manning. Possibly Brees and Romo.

That still leaves you with 4 QB's out there who outscored Palmer. Palmer should improve but why let one of the top 5 WR's go. Between the 2nd and 9th ranked QB, it is only a 4 point difference. I would keep the top WR and draft one of the QBs who are thrown back.

Wayne is a clear keeper. If you keep Wayne and still draft deep at WR, he can be traded for one of the top QBs. Palmer will not have any trade value. I would rather draft an Anderson, Garrard, Roethlisberger than keeping Palmer.
BigMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

except that he doesnt pick until the second round so all the teams that didn't protect a QB will snatch up all the good ones before he picks
Old 08-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm still conflicted on this. Looking at a site (rtsports.com), Reggie Wayne is way ahead of Carson Palmer in terms of average draft position and top keepers. In average draft position, even Ronnie Brown is ahead of Palmer... so I still don't know what to do, but Palmer seems like a lesser option right now.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #13
Racer
College Benchwarmer

How many points are passing touchdowns worth? If they are not worth 6 points, then I would definitely go with Wayne. Otherwise the decision becomes slightly tougher, but I would still probably keep Wayne. As long as you can draft a couple of guys like Eli, Garrard, Rivers, and Delhomme and one of them puts up a top 10 season you should be fine.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #14
MikeVic
Head Coach

Passing Yards (25 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (4)
Interceptions (-2)

I might wait a bit to see who else is kept.