Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Man vs. Wild

I know this show has been on for a while but I have never really seen it before.

It is pretty awesome.

Bear just picked up a monitor lizard by the tail and swung it against a tree to kill it. Then claimed it was to tough to eat raw so he has to make a fire. PETA would not approve.

Last edited by Lathum : 08-13-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
Radii
Head Coach

viva survivorman!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Flasch186
Coordinator

VIVA SURVIVORMAN!

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
Edward64
Head Coach

I appreciate Survivor Man more as he is much more authentic. But there is no doube Man vs Wild is more entertaining (with more episodes this season!).

I'm tired of the artic/snow episodes ... I want to see more jungle/tropics/swamp/ocean shows.

A note on Survivor Man. I saw his episode in the Amazon rainforest and he was having trouble finding things to eat. Something is wrong with that scenario ... I'm sure its by choice but you would think he would be able to trap/find a bunch of small game. He is a terrible fisherman.

Man vs Wild is all fake but it is fun to see him eat the strange stuff raw.

I enjoy them both.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah - if you google or even wikipedia man vs. wild you'll see notes on how it's maybe not "faked" but like...it's not as tough as they make it appear - for example in the hawaii episode they used camera angles to make a 6 foot drop look like a 20 foot drop and stuff like that. Also heard his crew will go out and cut down the brush for the shelter's he is going to make and stuff.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
yeah - if you google or even wikipedia man vs. wild you'll see notes on how it's maybe not "faked" but like...it's not as tough as they make it appear - for example in the hawaii episode they used camera angles to make a 6 foot drop look like a 20 foot drop and stuff like that. Also heard his crew will go out and cut down the brush for the shelter's he is going to make and stuff.

I think "faked" is a pretty accurate description.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d--hotels.html

----

Viewers were not told that he was actually spending some nights in the Pines Resort hotel at Bass Lake, where the rooms have Internet access and is advertised as 'a cosy getaway for families' complete with blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

In another episode when Grylls declared he was a 'real life Robinson Crusoe' stuck on a desert island, he was actually on an outlying part of the Hawaiian archipelago and retired to a motel at nightfall.

----

none of that is all too surprising though, we are talking about TV.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-13-2008 at 10:08 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

'course on the other hand, there's ample support for his credibility as a legit badass and there's some overzealous attacks against him on some points ,such as accusations of hotel stays ... that actually took place while the show was in the planning/pre-production phase on location. Seems like a bit of a no-brainer to me that a TV production company doesn't conduct their entire business out in the bush.

Me? I wouldn't even care to fly over most of the places he films, much less step foot in them.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

no doubt he is a legit badass.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:46 AM   #9
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

viva survivorman!

Yeah, after reading about how fake Man vs. Wild is, you gotta give Les Stroud props for going it alone. He also has to walk at least twice the distance he is seen walking on TV because he has to set up his cameras, walk in front of them, and then go get them.

In the first episodes of Man vs. Wild it was much better since Bear was informative, but not stupid. The past season was not as good because Bear was always eating something outrageous for the camera. There was one where he ate the eyeball of a camel or goat or something and squeezed it between his teeth, letting the juice squirt out for the camera. He could've eaten something else from the camel but choose a "good for TV" item. Another annoying thing is how he purposefully jumps into ice water to show how to get out. In an early episode he jumped into quicksand, but it wasn't as showy. Finally, he never used to meet with other indigenous people but he has on many occasions this past season. That just makes the whole "Man vs. Wild" schtick stupid. It should be renamed "Men vs. Wild".

Anyhow, I remember an early episode where he was in Africa and he drank his own piss. Les at least had the common sense to piss in a hole, put plastic that he found over it and drink the condensation.

This isn't to say I don't enjoy Man vs. Wild, but it's somewhat like watching Mind of Mencia. It makes me laugh, but I hate knowing the outside story of it.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote