Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Ping Direct TV users

Is there a high speed internet option available through direct TV and if so is it any good?

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Don't know if there's an option, but I doubt it.
Satellite broadband is really suck, hard to get good rates (uplink and downlink) at good rates (prices).

Hughes is the only one I can think of off the top of my head who does satellite broadband. It's expensive as all getout for rates in some cases no better than an old modem. A friend of mine who lives in a place where Comcast and Verizon can't help him with broadband looked into it once. He ended up going with a mobile wireless card for his laptop.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
lungs
Pro Rookie

Not that I know. I think HughesNet used to be associated with DirecTV (it was called DirecWay) but I don't believe it is anymore.

WildBlue and HughesNet are the only two satellite internet companies I know of. I don't think DirecTV is associated with any internets.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

DirecTV has no internet option, unless you go with Hughes which last I knew was under the same umbrella of DirecTV. You don't get any deal on it though that I know about. And yeah, I heard it kind of sucks for speed.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
lungs
Pro Rookie

dola

I have had WildBlue for two years now and have been pretty happy with the service. I don't game with it (don't think it's really possible) but it gets the job done elsewhere.

Only thing that sucks is that it's the same as TV satellite and will go down when the weather is crap.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

hxxp://www.southernsky.com/directv.htm

Quote:
For HN9000 customers, you cannot combine services on one dish any longer due to new satellite assignments. For DW6000 and earlier customers, the capability to use one dish remains an option, however, should you upgrade later this may no longer work.

HughesNet and DirecTV can share the same physical dish as long as it is the HughesNet dish. A DirecTV dish will not work for HughesNet operation.

HughesNet broadband and DIRECTV® television services, hardware, and installation are sold separately. They are both products of Hughes Network Systems, however, because they are separate entities, billing cannot be combined.

Because many people want just one satellite dish, option kits are available to add DirecTV services to your HughesNet dish. These vary by dealer or distributor but generally cost $60 to $100 each. Separate installation charges may also exist. Based on your geographic location, you may need more than one kit (up to 3) to access high-definition and/or local channels.

We highly recommend you keep the two products on separate dishes, as ugly or undesired as it may appear to be. Should HughesNet or DirecTV ever need to repoint you to a different satellite at some future date, you may have to buy new option kits. Further, HughesNet dishes must be peaked to HughesNet settings and as such you may see a slight loss of signal strength on the DirecTV side. Rain fade may be reduced if both DirecTV and HughesNet dishes are kept separate and peaked on their respective satellites.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
saldana
Pro Starter

i dont understand why you didnt just call me and ask me this question?
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

That wouldn't help pad his post count.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #9
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I have DSL through AT&T
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
That wouldn't help pad his post count.

ive only had directv since 1996, so he probably figured i wouldnt know anything about them
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I am patiently waiting for FIOS to come to my area so I can finally dump cable for Satellite/FIOS combo
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote