Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2003, 02:13 AM   #1
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Boselli to retire

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0715/1581163.html

Boselli is a class act, and OLers around the league will surely miss Tony, as he was one of the only linemen that the casual fan recognised by name.

On th eone hand you have to feel sorry for the Texans, as they never even got a game out of the guy, but on the other hand this makes their offseason-long failure to address their problems at OL even more dumbfounding. Likewise, it makes their earlier acquisition of Hollings in the supplemental draft a head scratcher, as they not only lose a high pick that could've been used to strengthen the line, but you hardly want a guy with a damaged knee to be testing his wares behind their suspect blocking crew.

For David Carr's sake, I hope the Texans have some sort of ace up their sleeve(s), as I'd hat to see his growth stunted by taking another 50 sacks this year.

thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 02:23 AM   #2
TLK
Pro Starter

Sorry to hear that for Boselli and Texan fans. Guess this means I won't be drafting Mack as a sleeper this year....

TLK
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 02:48 AM   #3
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I am so incredibly sad. He was the one.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 03:01 AM   #4
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Yep, a great player's career comes to an end much too soon...
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 04:46 AM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Damn- he was a great one who could never stay healthy.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:18 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I wonder if Jesus told him to quit. It'd seem to make sense. Tony talked to Jesus a lot, I think Jesus even told him that they'd beat Denver in the play-offs. I imagine that after stopping off in Dallas to tell Deion how much to pay for the repair job, Jesus hopped into his hot-rod and took I-45 south to Houston to tell Tony it was time to hang 'em up.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:00 AM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Re: Boselli to retire

Quote:
Originally posted by thesloppy
http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0715/1581163.html

Boselli is a class act, and OLers around the league will surely miss Tony, as he was one of the only linemen that the casual fan recognised by name.

On th eone hand you have to feel sorry for the Texans, as they never even got a game out of the guy, but on the other hand this makes their offseason-long failure to address their problems at OL even more dumbfounding. Likewise, it makes their earlier acquisition of Hollings in the supplemental draft a head scratcher, as they not only lose a high pick that could've been used to strengthen the line, but you hardly want a guy with a damaged knee to be testing his wares behind their suspect blocking crew.

For David Carr's sake, I hope the Texans have some sort of ace up their sleeve(s), as I'd hat to see his growth stunted by taking another 50 sacks this year.

complete failure to address the O-line?

They signed Zach Weigert, traded for Greg Robinson-Randall, and drafted Seth Wand. They also took Milford Brown in the supplemental draft half way through the 2002 season. Maybe you haven't been following them closely, but I would say their line should be pretty substantially improved over last year. At the very least I would say it's nearly twice as deep - and depth was their major issue last year.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:09 AM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

dola

And the Texans needed to take Boselli in the expansion draft anyway to get defensive lineman Seth Payne and Gary Walker. Even though throwing away all that money, it was never a bad move on Houston's part. They still have 2 starters to show for it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 11:22 AM   #9
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Re: Re: Boselli to retire

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
complete failure to address the O-line?

They signed Zach Weigert, traded for Greg Robinson-Randall, and drafted Seth Wand. They also took Milford Brown in the supplemental draft half way through the 2002 season. Maybe you haven't been following them closely, but I would say their line should be pretty substantially improved over last year. At the very least I would say it's nearly twice as deep - and depth was their major issue last year.

ct, I may have been a little harsh in calling their offseason a failure, but I still stand behind the stance that the Texans didn't do enough to address their OL. Wiegert for Young was pretty much a wash in my eyes, and Robinson- Randall's past battles with conditioning and injuries make me hesitant to think of him as anything besides a stopgag. I have always heard Ward mentioned as a huge project, but I admit that I don't follow the Texans religiously, and my impressions could be outdated. I agree with you that they have at least made improvements to their depth, I just have the feelign the OL is always an aterthought for Houston, as they alaways seem to be shuffling players out of their natural positions, and pursuing size rather than talent. Milford Brown does pique my interest, and he should be set-up to succeed with so much time to study the Texans' game plan, do they expect that he will be starting?

Also, just to clarify, I would never consider Boselli a bad pick, for the reason you listed, ans well as the leadership and tutelage he gave to the youth, even if he never got to play a game.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:01 PM   #10
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

If a player in the NFL retires, does the team get cap relief ala the T'Wolves and Terrell Brandon.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:03 PM   #11
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdawg2003
If a player in the NFL retires, does the team get cap relief ala the T'Wolves and Terrell Brandon.

I could be wrong, but I think any remaining bonus money gets accelerated. That's the risk of giving a large prorated bonus to players near the end of their career. But, like I said, I may be wrong.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 12:08 PM   #12
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdawg2003

According to the Houston Chronicle:

Boselli counted $7.55 million against the Texans' cap in 2002 and initiated negotiations to lower his base salary to $655,000 in 2003. As a result, he will count only $3.05 million against the cap this season and an additional $3.05 million in 2004. If Boselli had played in 2004, his cap hit would have been $8.05 million.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:51 PM   #13
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Finally!
Old 07-16-2003, 05:27 PM   #14
tucker342
Pro Starter

That's to bad, he was a great player
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote