Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
RendeR
Coordinator

NFL Sunday Ticket

Ok, I finally got this, anyone got hints/thoughts/favorite things about it that I should know ahead of time?

I figiured 15 bucks a game to see every Bengals game this year is worth it and for once we actually have the money to do it.

Are the DTV broadcasts just the normal local broadcast for the given game or is it a commercial free version or what?

Anyone ever have real problems with the games not being on or not showing up?

Thanks in advance!

RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
digamma
Torchbearer

1. Go to the channel guide.

2. Pick the game you want to watch.

3. Watch the game.

That's pretty much the route I take.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Same here. Although, I will add that it is easy to miss the 30 minute quick game views they do later in the week if you don't know about them. I use that to watch games that I wasn't interested enough to watch live, but do want to watch in a condensed form.

The regular broadcasts on Sunday are regular network feeds and have all of the normal commercials.

Those 30 minute recap games are edited and have no commercials and show every play, but they completely cut out all of the between play interactions.

I've never had a problem with a game not showing up. It's been worth every cent for me to be able to watch Eagles' games down here in the comfort of my own home.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-08-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Raiders Army
Coordinator

You won't be able to watch games on the ticket that are already shown on your local market. It sucks when your local market doesn't do Hi-Def and you can't watch it on the ticket.

Also, although on short cuts the chaff between plays is cut out, you can still see replays of TDs and refs explaining penalities. This is helpful when a back runs for a gain of 20 and it's 1st and 20 after that.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
henry296
College Starter

Almost every game will be in HD this year. CBS is increasing their broadcasts significantly.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Too bad some markets don't broadcast in HD.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
MJ4H
Coordinator

can i borrow 50 bucks
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:30 AM   #8
Galaril
Pro Starter

So original post said about $15 bucks per his teams games all season so 16 games times 15=$240. Is that the price for it and if someone waits say four games into the season is theprice the same at that point or does it go down as the seaosn progresses. I really want to get this to watch my Titans out here Denver but can't really rationalize that much to the misses. Are there any deals out there?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:19 AM   #9
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I can't really remember if the ticket does it, but I remember the baseball and basketball packages going down halfway through the season. FWIW, I think the advantages you get beyond the just "watching my team's games" is worth the full price. The Red Zone, the ability to put in two teams of fantasy football players, Short Cuts, etc. DirecTV, unlike EA Sports, has added some really great options every year even though they have an exclusive deal.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:24 AM   #10
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So original post said about $15 bucks per his teams games all season so 16 games times 15=$240. Is that the price for it and if someone waits say four games into the season is theprice the same at that point or does it go down as the seaosn progresses. I really want to get this to watch my Titans out here Denver but can't really rationalize that much to the misses. Are there any deals out there?

the price is the same until very late IIRC. I'm a former subscriber...I just thought it was too much for the amount i was able to watch. I have 2 small children, so I was interrupted often. It was more frusterating than i thought.

one cool feature is that they have a channel where you can add players and track their stats realtime. It's great for fantasy football.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
the price is the same until very late IIRC. I'm a former subscriber...I just thought it was too much for the amount i was able to watch. I have 2 small children, so I was interrupted often. It was more frusterating than i thought.

one cool feature is that they have a channel where you can add players and track their stats realtime. It's great for fantasy football.

Yeah that is a real steep price to be honest. I figured out I am paying 60 dollars amonth for Direct TV 200 channels package amonth so that is alittle over 700 bucks a year and this is $250. .............Now all my bitching and moaning aside and even though we probaly won't be buying a new HDTV until Xmas time and thus will be watching on the "standard TV" I am sure I will get this.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #12
RendeR
Coordinator

Honestly though, if you were able to go to every game yer looking at a cost 10x what this costs and you get to relax at home to enjoy the games. if you hav a DVR you can also record those games and go back and enjoy them later on!

the current price is actually 290.00 but they offered me a 10 dollar discount for 6 months on my bill which brought it down to 230 overall. so 15-17 bucks a game to see YOUR team play and have access to al the other games as well is well worth the cost in my book.

The only reason I didn't pick this up 2 years ago or last year was due to our finances, we jsut didn't hav the extra 50 a month for 5 months to toss on the bills.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
RendeR
Coordinator

GO BENGALS!
Old 08-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #14
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

if i could get the local saints broadcast on it, i would do it in a heartbeat- but as it is now, if i got it- i'd have to flip between the antena (hi-def) and d-tv just to go between games / check the fantasy page and such.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:58 AM   #15
Galaril
Pro Starter

Ok I called Direct TV and the NFL Ticket is $299 and that doesn't include HD No disrespect to my fellow FOFCers but I am surprised so many people are paying this price which isn't even close to worth it. I know it is cheaper than going to the game, but that is irrelevant to this point. I know it is my loss .In any case fuck the NFL and Direct TV.

Last edited by Galaril : 08-09-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #16
digamma
Torchbearer

FWIW, I think it's $100 less for returning subscribers.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #17
Raiders Army
Coordinator

$300 still isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. That's what, gas for a month? Groceries for a couple weeks? Two nights in a hotel?

The Superfan package (which I got for free last year after I called about it) was free to new subscribers. It included the Red Zone channel, Short Cuts, Fantasy Football tracker, Hi-Def, etc.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #18
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
if i could get the local saints broadcast on it, i would do it in a heartbeat- but as it is now, if i got it- i'd have to flip between the antena (hi-def) and d-tv just to go between games / check the fantasy page and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Ok I called Direct TV and the NFL Ticket is $299 and that doesn't include HD No disrespect to my fellow FOFCers but I am surprised so many people are paying this price which isn't even close to worth it. I know it is cheaper than going to the game, but that is irrelevant to this point. I know it is my loss .In any case fuck the NFL and Direct TV.

I'm surprised you have to do that, Doug. I can watch local Saints games on the SuperFan package fine. Maybe it is because I have the HD package?

I didn't pay 299 this year, I only paid 229. However, I'd pay 299 because it is the only way to see about a dozen Eagles' games that I'd have little chance of seeing any other way. Not to mention, I always pick out the best games each week and record them on the DVR. On average, I watch 3 good games each week (well 2 if the Eagles' game stinks.) Being able to pick which 51 games I want to watch and being able to watch a shortcut version of any other game for 299 is a great value to me, still.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:00 PM   #19
gstelmack
Pro Starter

A couple of years ago, they blacked out games shown on the local market. After the uproar that ensued (in large part due it being a last-minute change from the year before AFTER folks had subscribed for the season), the NFL and DirecTV relented and were back to showing every game.