Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Rampage On Driving Rampage

Multiple collisions? And he wasn't drinking?

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/8348466?MSNHPHMA

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:54 AM   #2
DanGarion
Coordinator

Hah, that's right near our business...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:16 AM   #3
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The best part about it. It was a hit and run, and he tried to escape in this pickup truck.quinton-rampage-truck.jpg
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Man, that article doesn't even come CLOSE to doing this story justice.

Dude got into a hit-and-run, and split the scene in a big-ass camo monster truck with his picture and name emblazoned across it. How far was he expecting to get?

thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:22 AM   #5
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
The best part about it. It was a hit and run, and he tried to escape in this pickup truck.Attachment 43

damn it, I was too late!

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-16-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
thesloppy
Pro Starter

"Rampage was on the 55 Freeway in the O.C., hit two cars and got off the freeway. The chase was on.

Rampage then began driving on the center divider. But it gets worse. According to the police report, Jackson then drove on the sidewalk, "causing pedestrians to flee for their lives." He started driving the wrong way on a crowded street, colliding with yet another car in an intersection. As he continued on, running several red lights, his tire disintegrated and he began driving on the rim.

Rampage eventually got to the exclusive Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach, where he again drove on the sidewalk, "causing pedestrians to flee in terror."

Eventually, his car came to a stop and he was taken into custody at gunpoint. Cops took him to the Orange County Jail, but they determined he was "medically unfit" to be booked. Cops won't say if he was high.

Rampage is currently in an O.C. hospital."

Good times.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:32 AM   #7
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
damn it, I was too late!
But, to be fair, your picture is the more topical one and it doesn't take up three times the screen width.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:35 AM   #8
Danny
Head Coach

Wow
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:37 AM   #9
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This is actually pretty sad, as Rampage, or at least the image he projected, was totally likable, but there's no real excuse for driving down the sidewalk and ramming into people.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:45 AM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Man, that article doesn't even come CLOSE to doing this story justice.

Dude got into a hit-and-run, and split the scene in a big-ass camo monster truck with his picture and name emblazoned across it. How far was he expecting to get?

Ping: dangarion. Where is that in the picture there? Trying to place it. Not the 55, but a major street down there, I am guessing. Newport Harbor? PCH? The street's too wide to be Balboa Peninsula, I think (mentioned in the article). I am trying to get an image of what this had to look like.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:47 AM   #11
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I am trying to get an image of what this had to look like.

An episode of CHiPs?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:51 AM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
An episode of CHiPs?

Heh...those ain't CHPies.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #13
Calis
College Starter

Damn, hate to hear this. I was a huge Rampage fan, and even with his recent loss his career was really on an upswing.

Dumb move though, wonder if he was on something or just had some sort of breakdown.

Luckily no one was injured at least.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The term "medically unfit" implies to me that he was either VERY high or had a psychotic break.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #15
JeeberD
General Manager

Who the fuck is Rampage?

Edit: Nevermind, made the effort to open the link in the first post...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 07-16-2008 at 09:10 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #16
muns
Pro Starter

Im sorry but that truck makes me laugh everytime I look at the darn thing. No way are you thinking you can get away with a hit and run driving that. Dumb doesnt even cover it.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #17
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Ping: dangarion. Where is that in the picture there? Trying to place it. Not the 55, but a major street down there, I am guessing. Newport Harbor? PCH? The street's too wide to be Balboa Peninsula, I think (mentioned in the article). I am trying to get an image of what this had to look like.

No that is the main drag that takes you down to Balboa. see the cars parked in the middle of the street?

Somewhere in this area...

View Larger Map

Last edited by DanGarion : 07-16-2008 at 01:21 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I wonder if Toyo Tires is rethinking their sponsorship after that photo...
Old 07-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #19
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I wonder if Toyo Tires is rethinking their sponsorship after that photo...

not quite...

http://www.tmz.com/2008/07/16/toyo-t...with-all-that/
Old 07-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #20
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

*sigh*

And so begins the downward spiral.

I was such a huge fan of his. Not the best technical fighter, his overall body strength and explosiveness more than made up for lack of top-notch technique. He seemed more than level-headed to me. Having the presence of mind to lift and slam out of a triangle sort of suggested that to me. Having been caught in a triangle once or twice myself, I know the feeling of helplessness and desperation. Seeing Rampage keep himself together enough to not only get out of a cinched choke submission, but to turn it into offense for himself (the slam) garnered much, much respect for him in my eyes.

I just don't get this. I uhhh...suppose that with the tough loss to Griffin on the 5th, he could've had a breakdown, but his actions suggest drugs, and I'd go a bit further to say meth, or coke/crack.

Such a goddamn shame that we lose another great athlete/entertainer to drugs. Of course there are always the Josh Hamiltons, but being a former long-term addict myself, I know the stats. This is probably it for Rampage.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #21
dervack
College Prospect

Every article I have read has said no drugs, or alcohol were believed to be involved. Now, that might change in the future, but that's what I've read. I have also read that Jackson has been battling depression as of late, so take that for what it's worth.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
No that is the main drag that takes you down to Balboa. see the cars parked in the middle of the street?

Somewhere in this area...

View Larger Map

Yup, I believe you're right. My impression of the cars was that somehow that was stopped traffic (stopped, I assumed, by cops), but, yeah, those cars are parked.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #23
Calis
College Starter

I saw an interview he did with Throwdown or some such which is supposedly the last interview he did before this incident earlier, and he seemed really odd. If you're familiar at all with how he usually acts he came across as extremely depressed and he seemed to be a little mixed up for lack of a better explanation. I'm not sure if it was drugs, depression, or a mix of the two. Something was definitely off.

Still really bummed about this. I was really looking forward to him getting a chance to fight Wanderlei again, and would love to see him get another crack at Forrest. He's suffered tougher losses than this before, so surprising that this made him snap, maybe he's got a lot more going on outside of that, who knows.

The definitive word on the drug thing is really going to set whether he's hated or felt sorry for, so I hope we hear something soon. Most places seem to be lambasting him, but I've yet to hear anything on the drugs yet.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #24
dervack
College Prospect

Taken into custody yesterday as "a danger to himself". Seems to me that it's not drug related at all.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #25
Arctic Blast
n00b

Could turn out to be health-related...often times, people with undiagnosed epileptic or diabetic conditions only find out when they suffer a first episode behind the wheel.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:21 PM   #26
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Rampage.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #27
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post

Rampage.

This was maybe one of the coolest simple games ever.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #28
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
Taken into custody yesterday as "a danger to himself". Seems to me that it's not drug related at all.

Actually that is the exact term doctors use when they commit someone either for substance abuse issues or for other psychiatric issues (and sometimes the police and psychiatrists work together to evaluate cases like this.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-18-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #29
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
Could turn out to be health-related...often times, people with undiagnosed epileptic or diabetic conditions only find out when they suffer a first episode behind the wheel.

Very true. My friend Paul from work was driving to Maryland, went missing for almost a week and was found in Mississippi.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #30
TLK
Pro Starter

It got a little more serious for Rampage...

Quote:

The legal woes of former Ultimate Fighting Championship title holder, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson may have just taken a turn for the worse as a Huntington Beach woman who was involved in the hit and run crash with the fighter has miscarried her baby according to a report from the Daily Pilot newspaper.

According to the report on the newspaper’s website, Holly Griggs, 38, was driving her 2007 Cadillac Escalade in the left lane of the southbound 55 Freeway on July 15 when the former UFC champion sideswiped her as he was driving along the median.

Following the incident and further actions during the chase with Jackson, he was arrested and charged, but then released on $25,000 bail before being picked up again just days later and admitted to a mental health facility for treatment.

Prosecutors from the area have yet to file any further charges against the fighter at this time and could not comment to the Daily Pilot on any charges that would stem from Griggs’ miscarriage.

While Griggs has made no official statement, her fiancé and father to the baby, Bill Krebs spoke to reporters and while the couple have retained legal counsel they have yet to officially file any action against Jackson.

“No amount of money will bring back my son,” said Krebs to reporters following the incident.

Jackson, nor anyone close to the fighter, has yet to go on record with an official statement following the situation with the Griggs’ family.

Link

TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #31
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

No need for lube boys this one's fucked, up shit creek without a paddle.