Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Boxing sims pc and/or board game recommendation

I am wondering if anyone could recommend any good boxing sims pc or tabletop/board game type? I didn't care for the PC game from the old OOTP development studios (title bout championship?). I am looking more at historical replays.The ones I was looking at were Legends of Boxing, Data Boxing, and ,Ultra quick boxing,Main Events Boxing (Downey). I would prefer a table top as opposed to computer so that migth eliminate Data boxing but I keep hearing how good it is? I also, don't really want a quick play game prefer something that has some detail as opposed to roll the dice once and the round is over stuff. Any ideas or have you played any of these games and have some pros or cons about them.

Last edited by Galaril : 07-29-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
twothree
College Prospect

Besides Title Bout the only one of those that I have played is Legends of Boxing. If you are not aware of the link, it is at:

http://legendsofboxing.tabletop-sports.com/lob_home.htm

If you scroll down to the bottom of that page you can download a zip of the version 2.5 rules. And the second to last link is an excel file with a bunch of ratings for historical fighters. You can also download a computer version on that page which is not as fun as rolling the dice, but does allow you to get through fights at a faster pace.

Each round is divided into 20 second intervals, so you basically roll the dice 9 times during each round. I don't know how accurate the historical fighters are rated, since I am a non-historical game player, though the zip file with the rules contains a sample fight between Marvin Hagler and Thomas Hearns in the instructions.

The very last link on that page to the excel file containing rules for a career campaign by Nigel Ward is what I used with a few tweaks to get the most enjoyment out of the Legend of Boxing game.

I think Legends of Boxing is the best free boxing game available. I still play it from time to time while waiting for the second patch to Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 that hopefully will fix the broken AI strategy selection problem.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post
Besides Title Bout the only one of those that I have played is Legends of Boxing. If you are not aware of the link, it is at:

http://legendsofboxing.tabletop-sports.com/lob_home.htm

If you scroll down to the bottom of that page you can download a zip of the version 2.5 rules. And the second to last link is an excel file with a bunch of ratings for historical fighters. You can also download a computer version on that page which is not as fun as rolling the dice, but does allow you to get through fights at a faster pace.

Each round is divided into 20 second intervals, so you basically roll the dice 9 times during each round. I don't know how accurate the historical fighters are rated, since I am a non-historical game player, though the zip file with the rules contains a sample fight between Marvin Hagler and Thomas Hearns in the instructions.

The very last link on that page to the excel file containing rules for a career campaign by Nigel Ward is what I used with a few tweaks to get the most enjoyment out of the Legend of Boxing game.

I think Legends of Boxing is the best free boxing game available. I still play it from time to time while waiting for the second patch to Title Bout Championship Boxing 2.5 that hopefully will fix the broken AI strategy selection problem.

Thanks.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
path12
Coordinator

I've got a copy of the old AH Title Bout around somewhere. I wouldn't mind selling it.