Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Unhappy Computer help

Everytime I try to open a picture file my computer basically freezes. It started when I tried to open a picture and it stuck on generating preview on windows picture and fax viewer. So I tried to change the picture viewer to paint which would then show the picture. But now whenever I click the pictures folder, it'll either show the pictures and then freeze or the pictures will show up and then disappear so all I have is what looks like a blank folder and then freeze. Whenever I control-alt-delete, it always shows explorer.exe using up 99% CPU.

I've tried switching so I'm not viewing thumbnails, I've deleted stuff to try to bring up more memory, but nothing is working so far.

I also can't download any pictures as it will just freeze. Same goes for trying to save pictures to my computer from like paint. The folder's just freeze and control-alt-delete shows explorer.exe using 99% CPU.

Any ideas?

illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

First thing that comes to mind is your HD has bad sectors - can you run HD diagnostics to ensure the drive is ok?

If all is ok, go to start -> run, type cmd and when the dos window opens up, type chkdsk /r (answer y to run it on a reboot and then reboot your pc)

Report back after that.. if the drive is bad, back up your data and replace the drive.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

a quick google search of running HD diagnostics didn't really help? Is it something I need to download, or am I just not finding it?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Do what MizzouRah said first, just to be safe.

Then, another thing you might want to try is the "Folder Options" Control Panel, and change all file extensions for images to Paint, and maybe globally change the way folders display to icons or something.

I'd imagine chkdsk would find a problem with whatever piece of software is trying to render the images.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
a quick google search of running HD diagnostics didn't really help? Is it something I need to download, or am I just not finding it?

Right click on the disk in "My Computer" and pick "Properties". Pick the "Tools" Tab. Start error-checking (will likely require a reboot - be prepared to wait a while).

chkdsk (which is different - do this second) requires access to your original XP (or Vista) install CD, but often solves many problems.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Ok I did the error-checking, and it went through the phases and then said it was done.

And I'll have to wait to run the chkdsk if I need the install CD since that's at home. And that's if we have it, I know Dell installed everything on the computer before we got it, but they would still give us a disk right?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yep. Or at least a "recovery" disk.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

While I wait to get that, I decided to try to defrag it, and after analyzing. That's a whole lotta red, fragmented files.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

You DO NOT need a Windows XP disk to run chkdsk. It is essentially the same as right clicking on your C drive and doing what flere said, but it's so much easier to click start -> click run -> type cmd -> in the box that opens up type chkdsk /r (just like that) then it will say it can't lock the drive would you like this ran after a restart - type y then reboot your pc

Once Windows starts booting, a blue screen should pop up that shows it checking your HD. This is separate from normal HD diagnostics though.

Who is the manufacturer of your pc?
Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
You DO NOT need a Windows XP disk to run chkdsk. It is essentially the same as right clicking on your C drive and doing what flere said, but it's so much easier to click start -> click run -> type cmd -> in the box that opens up type chkdsk /r (just like that) then it will say it can't lock the drive would you like this ran after a restart - type y then reboot your pc

Once Windows starts booting, a blue screen should pop up that shows it checking your HD. This is separate from normal HD diagnostics though.

Who is the manufacturer of your pc?

Dell
Old 07-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #11
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

It may be time to spring for that second 128 Mb of RAM.

Sorry. The thread had gone ten posts without a smartass comment and I was worried. Back to the serious suggestions.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok, you should be able to go to dell.com, head over to the downloads and drivers section and download the Dell Diagnostics utility.

The best one is the .iso format which will burn that utility onto a CD for you. Then you would boot your pc to that CD and select the "custom" diagnostics and run the HD test.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #13
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Ok I ran the chkdsk thing, and it came up clean. I'll head over to dell.com and get that utility now.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

If your HD checks out ok, you can boot to your Windows XP cd and do what's called a repair over install.

Basically you'll follow the setup just like you're installing windows and when it finds your installation of windows, it will ask you if you want to do a repair install. Instructions can be found here:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
Old 07-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #15
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Alright. Thanks for the help guys!