Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2008, 01:33 AM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Help with planning a trip to the Baseball HoF

Just looking if anyone's done this or anything similar. This year, we're planning a mini vacation around my birthday, where my friend, his brother (and girlfriend) and myself are planning to drive to Cooperstown NY on the weekend of 8/15-8/19 (I have those days off)

Thoughts. Mapquest says 4.0 hours, 230.8 miles to drive. Not bad. Probably build a 33% margin for error (not sure how bad weekend traffic is going to be, we're driving AWAY from the beaches, not toward them, as well as stops for gas and stretching), and call it roughly 6 hours to get there).

Not sure if we should rent a bigger car, I have a two door vehicle, and my friend's brother is tall (built like a tank), so if they do come, that's a problem.

Figure what we'll do is leave around 2, that way if it does take six hours, we get there around 8 PM before it gets really dark (easier to get lost at night), and check into the hotel. The next day, we go in and spend a few hours at the Hall of Fame, and head back to the hotel (2nd night). Then we drive back on the 3rd day.

Probably best to not try to find a hotel IN cooperstown itself, the Best Western there is sold out for that time frame, and the days in August they DO have, they're charging $225 for a room. Anywhere within 15-20 miles is probably ok, right?

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
saldana
Pro Starter

problem is, there really isnt anything else within 15 to 20 miles...that best western (which is really small) is the only hotel in town, iirc, and there is really nothing else around until you get back to oneonta....the only other thing is campgrounds...there is a really nice one about 2 minutes out side of town that has cabins with real beds, kitchens, and air conditioning.

everytime i go there and stay for more than a day, i camp...if that isnt an option for you guys, i would just stay in oneonta and drive the half hour up to town to go to the HOF

also, if you like beer(i think you are one of the fellow beer geeks here) be sure to check out Brewery Ommegang about 10 minutes south of town...Cooperstown Brewing Co. is right in Milford as well.

I also suggest Fly Creek Cider Mill (huge sign on 28 on the way up to town)...best apple cider i have ever had.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
saldana
Pro Starter

dola, bear pond winery is about 5 minutes north of the interstate on rt 28...they have some pretty good wines there.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The last time I went out that way, I did it on the way (kind of) to Toronto, so it was basically a nice day trip excursion in the middle of a longer trip. So I can't comment on where to stay in the area or what else to do in the area besides the Hall..

The one thing i wanted to comment though was the weekend traffic. Even though you are driving away from the beaches, traffic on the Mass Pike is usually really bad on Friday evening, Saturday morning West bound, and then really bad East bound Sunday later afternoon and early evening. It is the only real easy access from New England to the rest of the world, so you end up with alot of weekend traffic leaving the area either out 90 West, or down 84 West into Connecticut. Once you are past the I-90/I-84 intersection traffic is ok again until you get over into New York around I-90/I-89 intersection.

So just plan accordingly for the traffic if you plan on driving during the prime driving time. It is usually pretty similar to driving to New Hampshire or out to Cape Cod for the weekend. (Add roughly an hour to two hours to your trip depending on when you drive)
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
samifan24
Pro Starter

I went to the Induction Ceremony last year and we stayed all the way in Albany. It's a long drive (more than an hour, I think) but maybe you can find something a little bit closer.

I would also recommend touring the Hall in the early morning to avoid the crowds. The earlier you get there, the fewer the people. Plus, you can take nice pictures without getting people's heads in every shot. ;-)
Old 07-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

We stayed at a Holiday Inn (or Holiday Inn Express) that was pretty big and just outside of the town (maybe a 15 minute drive) and it worked out really well. I second what some of the above people have said, get to the Hall as early as possible OR late in the day wasn't bad either. It's the mid day that is just killer for trying to browse or take photos.

As for traffic, we've taken several road trips this summer, both long (22 hours) and shorter (3-5 hours) and have found traffic to be waaaaay down, likely due to people freaking out over gas prices. I would guess, especially heading away from the beaches and the time of day you are leaving, that you'll be closer to a 5 hour trip, even with stretching time.

Make sure you leave a good amount of time to wander the memorabilia shops, the art stores, and the winery.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the advice so far
Old 07-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

the HoF is fun...i went like...11 or 12 years ago.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Don't forget the Baseball Museum part.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:10 PM   #10
rewissick
n00b

I worked at the HOF during the summers that I was in school, and my mother-in-law lives about 10 minutes away for C'town, so here are a few tidbits from a 'local'.

-If you purchase a ticket to the HOF after 7 or 8PM, I forget which, you also get in on the same ticket the next day. It's nice to bust out a portion of the museum...until the attendants throw you out at 9, of course

-As mentioned, the Best Western is probably your best bet for an 'in town' place to stay, unless you feel like shelling out some coin. Given your time frame, you might actually run into problems securing a room, as most hotels book up through Labor Day well in advance of the summer. I'd suggest getting on the phone ASAP.

-I believe the town has recently started charging folks for parking at Doubleday Field. And all the other parking near Main Street can be either tough to secure or carry a 2 hour time limit (and it's well enforced for the revenue). I'd suggest either parking in one of the remote lots and taking the trolley into town (a few dollars for the ride) or circling down near the lake for all-day parking. Just remember that the folks that work in town know about all the good spots already.

Have a great trip, and feel free to shoot any specific questions my way if you'd like.
rewissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:12 PM   #11
rewissick
n00b

dola

Forgot to mention...as someone that used to live in Westborough, MA a few years back, I was able to make the trip on a Friday night in about 3 hours. The traffic is nothing if you time hitting the Albany area outside of rush hour.
rewissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:07 AM   #12
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewissick View Post
dola

Forgot to mention...as someone that used to live in Westborough, MA a few years back, I was able to make the trip on a Friday night in about 3 hours. The traffic is nothing if you time hitting the Albany area outside of rush hour.

You had to have left before like 2 or 3pm EST. I used to work in Marlborough and it would take me 3 hours to get home in Sturbridge on a Friday night during the summer back in the days! THankfully I don't live that far west anymore, and i work from home now
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #13
evil homer
n00b

we went last year in early june and stayed at the holiday inn (mentioned above). prices were reasonable (about $120/night), and it was no more than 10 minutes to the HofF. lots of places to eat along the way.