Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Magnum PI

Just saw an episode of Magnum PI on the Retro channel which made me spend the past hour checking out Amazon (and other sites) and their Magnum PI DVD seasons. One thing led to another and realized that one of my favorite Magnum episodes was Season 8, "Unfinished Business".

Magnum Mania! - Top 40 Episodes

What I really remember from that episode was the haunting song that was played throughout. Found out it was by Geneis "The Brazillian" (it is really the second half of the song, starting at 2:25 or so).

YouTube - Genesis - The Brazillian on Audiosurf

Of interest, there may be a Magnum move in 2009-2010. I suspect it won't be as good without Tom Selleck, but I'll spend the $8 to relive a little of my younger days.

Matthew McConaughey may star in Magnum P.I. movie - Autoblog

Mattingly tapped for lead role in Magnum P.I. movie

Having grown up in the 80s watching Magnum PI, I am tempted to ask for the 8 season DVD set for Christmas.

Anyone else a Magnum PI fan?

Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:19 AM   #2
Dutch
"Dutch"

I watched that show religiously back in the days when shows like that were all the rage on Thu and Fri nights. Magnum PI probably had the best cast of interesting characters out of the bunch though.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
A co-worker of mine was just talking last night about how she and her husband had put orders in for the entire series on DVD thru netflix.

Sure, I watched some Magnum back in the day, but the odds of two separate incidents occuring within 2 hours of each other? Odd.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

A Magnum movie without Tom Selleck? Poppycock!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
SFL Cat
College Starter

Matthew McConaughey as Magnum? Sacrilige!!! Part of what made these shows special were the people in the roles. I hate all these reimages and remakes with new actors in old roles.

Shuddering at the thought of the new Star Trek movie coming out in the next year or so.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Matthew McConaughey? NO WAY.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
SFL Cat
College Starter

dola...part of what made that show IMO was the music from the into.

My wife and I ordered the first season of the show on DVD, and noticed that some of the early episodes had different intro music. It was bad...cheesy bad...really glad they changed it.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 07-26-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

more Magnum music fun:

anyone remember the cheesy music they had in the first season?
YouTube - Magnum P.I. S1 - Opening Theme

I was watching an old episode a couple of months back - it was the one with Sharon Stone. The opening music (YouTube - Sharon Stone in Magnum PI, with Blade Runner end title music) was immediately recognizable to me as the closing credits from Blade Runner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cZiKuZikMI).

I was a big Magnum fan growing up. For a while, Magnum and Simon and Simon (who were introduced on Magnum) aired back to back, which pretty much was the coolest night of TV.

Watching it now, I'm amazed at how awful the actors playing Rick and TC are (especially Rick). They make watching reruns almost unbearable.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #9
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
dola...part of what made that show IMO was the music from the into.

My wife and I ordered the first season of the show on DVD, and noticed that some of the early episodes had different intro music. It was bad...cheesy bad...really glad they changed it.

Hey, great to see some Magnum PI fans.

SFL cat ... here's the intro if you hadn't search for it already.

YouTube - MAGNUM INTRO
Old 07-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
more Magnum music fun:

anyone remember the cheesy music they had in the first season?
YouTube - Magnum P.I. S1 - Opening Theme

I was watching an old episode a couple of months back - it was the one with Sharon Stone. The opening music (YouTube - Sharon Stone in Magnum PI, with Blade Runner end title music) was immediately recognizable to me as the closing credits from Blade Runner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cZiKuZikMI).

I was a big Magnum fan growing up. For a while, Magnum and Simon and Simon (who were introduced on Magnum) aired back to back, which pretty much was the coolest night of TV.

Watching it now, I'm amazed at how awful the actors playing Rick and TC are (especially Rick). They make watching reruns almost unbearable.

You beat me to it. Were there 2 different intros? I've always remembered the helicopter.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-26-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and I have zero interest in seeing a movie. I hate the trend of bringing old shows to the TV screen, especially when the turn them into stupid parodies. No thanks.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
You beat me to it. Were there 2 different intros? I've always remembered the helicopter.

yeah, I don't think the original music lasted long - probably just the first season
Old 07-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
Dutch
"Dutch"

Wow, the original Magnum music was horrible! Amazing how an intro can have such a huge effect. That "new" theme song, if I remember correctly, was #1 on the Billboard chart at one point in time.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #14
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
and I have zero interest in seeing a movie. I hate the trend of bringing old shows to the TV screen, especially when the turn them into stupid parodies. No thanks.

I usually feel the same way. A recent exception was "Get Smart." I was never a big fan of the old show, and I certainly didn't plan on going to see the movie. However, I heard some good buzz about it, went to see it after all, and enjoyed it.

I'd love to see a "where are they today?" type movie. Magnum should be a high-up in the navy now...probably close to retirement, and his daughter is all grown up....maybe trying to make a go of it as a PI herself. Rick and T.C. are probably successful businessmen and have kids of their own. It would also be great to finally find out once and for all whether Higgins is really Robin Masters or not.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #15
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Get Smart is actually one of the few I'd be interested in seeing, partly because of Steve Carrell and partly because the original was a silly comedy to begin with.

and in the "oooweeoooh" department, my kids and I just saw a red Ferrari downtown.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
It would also be great to finally find out once and for all whether Higgins is really Robin Masters or not.

I wasn't really a fan of this storyline. It always felt like a Lucasesque re-invention of history. It was obvious in the early episodes that Higgins and Robin Masters were different people, but they seemed to want to throw that out for a clever little tidying of the story.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #17
Hurst2112
College Starter

wait...backup. are they saying Don fuggin Mattingly for lead in the movie?!?!?

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 07-26-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #18
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112 View Post
wait...backup. are they saying Don fuggin Mattingly for lead in the movie?!?!?
It appears that the "Serious Sports Network" website is anything but serious, thankfully.