Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #201
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Yes, I'm sure the particulars would have been run in either case. One thing I find interesting that nobody mentioned is that the cop pulled up behind him (also in the fire lane?) and sat behind him while running everything. I don't know about you, but if a cop has taken my license and is sitting behind me, I'm certainly not going to go anywhere. Had this really been such an unbelievably horrible situation like some are arguing, why didn't the cop instruct him to move somewhere specific out of the fire lane to run everything?

Ohhhhhhh, believe me, I thought it, but I sure as hell wasn't going to post it here, me being the all knowing, evil chaotic lawbreaker I am. My next door neighbor, who I explained it to as well, works for the Lowe's that's on the same street as the Meijer's where this occurred. He drives a delivery truck for Lowe's. He told me that corporate from Lowe's just changed the rule for them, they HAVE, to pull in front of the store (where the fire lane is), to get their trucks inspected before they go out on delivery (They used to do it behind the store, not sure why it changed).
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #202
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Had this really been such an unbelievably horrible situation like some are arguing, why didn't the cop instruct him to move somewhere specific out of the fire lane to run everything?

This kind of hyperbole is why this conversation is dragging on forever. Nobody's saying this was "unbelievably horrible situation". Nobody. Using that phrase to make your point is just obnoxious, and it completely invalidates what you're trying to say.

(Same thing with cougerfreak saying he's being portrayed as an "evil chaotic lawbreaker". (Though the more I read this thread, I think that 3b on his list is absolutely true, and I have a hunch that 3d, 3e, 3f, and 3h probably have some truth to them as well)

It's a $30 friggen' fine!! The odds that there was going to be any kind of actual emergency here are almost non-existent. If it was an "unbelievably horrible situation", the officer damn well would have moved and written the ticket somewhere else. If it was an "unbelievably horrible situation", he'd probably be looking at criminal charges. But this wasn't that. It was hardly anything at all.

If you're driving 75 in a 65, the odds that that 10 mph will cause an accident are pretty slim. And an officer is allowed to drive 75 - even 85, in order to catch up to you to.

How about we all pitch in $1 for the big baby and move on with our lives? I'm in for $2.

Last edited by molson : 06-17-2008 at 01:57 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #203
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'd say you're not evil....chaotic, sure, but not evil.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #204
Subby
lolzcat

Driving up to pick up your wife in front of the store = nice gesture.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #205
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's fine, as long as they get a ticket.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #206
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

What if you have your girlfriend in the car? Is it still a nice gesture?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #207
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
What if you have your girlfriend in the car? Is it still a nice gesture?
Is she dressed like a pirate?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #208
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
That's fine, as long as they get a ticket.
Maybe in Dumbfuckistan.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:04 PM   #209
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Actually going in and helping her = nicer gesture.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #210
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
This kind of hyperbole is why this conversation is dragging on forever. Nobody's saying this was "unbelievably horrible situation". Nobody. Using that phrase to make your point is just obnoxious, and it completely invalidates what you're trying to say.

Fair enough, it isn't unbelievably horrible, though it is apparently not petty, akin to theft, and disgusting.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #211
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

And apparently going in and helping her and ultimately leaving with the screaming child (or at least somehow unruly) = nicest gesture?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #212
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
From what I have read here, you and I have different situations. That might be a nicer gesture in your family, but it isn't even close in mine or, I am guessing, cougarfreak's.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #213
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
3. I know now that because I pulled up to a fire lane to pick up my wife and small child I:

a. Should have been approached by a cop with his gun drawn, as I obviously am a getaway car for a robbery, and am lucky I didn't get shot.

b. Feel as though I am entitled to break the law.

c. Obviously steal from large companies. I need to check my directv, I should have every channel now, as I am a thief.

d. Am also obviously a lazy fuck.

e. I think I'm the best driver in the world.

f. I give attitude to cops, and got the ticket for being a jackass, not for pulling into the fire lane.

g. I'm lucky I didn't get eaten by tigers when I got out to get the groceries, as was the cop who walked up to my car.

h. I would have been just as mad had a the cop asked me to move to the parking lot.

i. Hate all cops, am anti cop, and am definitely chaotic evil.

We are FOFC!
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #214
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
And apparently going in and helping her and ultimately leaving with the screaming child (or at least somehow unruly) = nicest gesture?

Maybe I missed something in the thread? If there is a reason it was not smart for him to leave the car/enter the store then ok, don't do it. But in that case, while fire-lane parking might be a nice gesture to her, it is a giant F-U to the rest of the people in the parking lot.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #215
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
From what I have read here, you and I have different situations. That might be a nicer gesture in your family, but it isn't even close in mine or, I am guessing, cougarfreak's.

Weird. K.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #216
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Nicest gesture is to take BOTH kids to the car, and then park in a nice and legal spot close to the front.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #217
cuervo72
Head Coach

I wonder - have any of you ever picked up/dropped off someone in front of a restaurant/store in the rain, rather than making them walk?
Old 06-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #218
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I wonder - have any of you ever picked up/dropped off someone in front of a restaurant/store in the rain, rather than making them walk?

Rarely, but yes. Never in a fire lane though.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #219
Kodos
Resident Alien

I usually park in the farthest away spot. That way, we're the first ones in, and at the end of the day, we're the first ones out.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #220
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
There, assertion refuted.

Yes, but you are just a sampling of one.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #221
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
1. My original post was intended to be something like..........this is something I would have never expected to be ticketed for, but instead told to move along.

2. It was about 20 minutes after the fact, and yes I was pissed.

3. I know now that because I pulled up to a fire lane to pick up my wife and small child I:

a. Should have been approached by a cop with his gun drawn, as I obviously am a getaway car for a robbery, and am lucky I didn't get shot.

b. Feel as though I am entitled to break the law.

c. Obviously steal from large companies. I need to check my directv, I should have every channel now, as I am a thief.

d. Am also obviously a lazy fuck.

e. I think I'm the best driver in the world.

f. I give attitude to cops, and got the ticket for being a jackass, not for pulling into the fire lane.

g. I'm lucky I didn't get eaten by tigers when I got out to get the groceries, as was the cop who walked up to my car.

h. I would have been just as mad had a the cop asked me to move to the parking lot.

i. Hate all cops, am anti cop, and am definitely chaotic evil.

That is all, have a great day. I guess I should add..........I'm shocked people are talking about it.

Regardless of what you said or people had said about you in here, none of us really care that much. You are still a cool guy that we can all talk to on the message board. Just be ready for the every once in awhile ribbing you will get. It's all good man.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #222
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
Yes, but you are just a sampling of one.

True, but in my mind, the most important one.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #223
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Regardless of what you said or people had said about you in here, none of us really care that much. You are still a cool guy that we can all talk to on the message board. Just be ready for the every once in awhile ribbing you will get. It's all good man.

+1

Last edited by Axxon : 06-17-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #224
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:

Oh, trust me, I can take it. I'll dish some out too.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #225
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Depending on the level of rain and the situation (wearing fancy clothes or something) I would say that falls under the extenuating circumstances provision which excludes one from douchebagginess.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #226
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I usually park in the farthest away spot. That way, we're the first ones in, and at the end of the day, we're the first ones out.

Yes, but did you have to punch the moose when you found out Wallyworld was closed?
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #227
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Depending on the level of rain and the situation (wearing fancy clothes or something) I would say that falls under the extenuating circumstances provision which excludes one from douchebagginess.

ah, yes. wearing fancy clothes is definitely more important than helping someone with a toddler
Old 06-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #228
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
I'd love to hear what grounds a judge used to throw this out rather than being handicapped, or a REAL emergency situation (not that he was in a really big hurry or something).

well, my car blew a tie-rod. i and my friend pushed the car out of the way. The only spot was a handicapped spot. it was either block the whole drive (very busy time) or block a handicapped spot temporarily while AAA came by to tow. The officer did not care for the reason even though he could see the wheel sitting at a weird angle.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #229
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
well, my car blew a tie-rod. i and my friend pushed the car out of the way. The only spot was a handicapped spot. it was either block the whole drive (very busy time) or block a handicapped spot temporarily while AAA came by to tow. The officer did not care for the reason even though he could see the wheel sitting at a weird angle.

And that's a darn good reason and and officer who was having a bad day.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #230
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
ah, yes. wearing fancy clothes is definitely more important than helping someone with a toddler
...everytime I think this thread is dead, they keep pulling me back in.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #231
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Up on my island in Maine, almost everyone drives golf carts and most adults are extremely anal about them (there's actually lawsuits going between the two sides over where people can drive them). One night my battery died and I was pushing it back. As I was finally nearing home, my neighbor, the fire marshal came out and yelled at me for not having the lights on. He went into a huge diatribe about how I could get a ticket and have my license suspended as I stared in disbelief. The best part was my parents were on the porch watching it happen, so we laughed for months about what a power-tripping asshole the guy was.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:34 PM   #232
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
And that's a darn good reason and and officer who was having a bad day.

Completely agree. Now that is a cop being a unreasonable.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #233
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
...everytime I think this thread is dead, they keep pulling me back in.

I'm with you...I love that every time I come back, there is a page of new posts.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #234
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Completely agree. Now that is a cop being a unreasonable.

A cop does not judge guilt. A cop judges probable cause and lets the court decide guilt. In this case the system worked as it should have.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #235
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
A cop does not judge guilt. A cop judges probable cause and lets the court decide guilt. In this case the system worked as it should have.
Ok.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #236
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Is she dressed like a pirate?

No, she's dressed like a hooker to the nines.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #237
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
No, she's dressed like a hooker to the nines.

It might be worth the ticket.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #238
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post

Do toddlers get ruined if they have to go through the parking lot? If so then good point.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #239
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Do toddlers get ruined if they have to go through the parking lot? If so then good point.

Yes, I believe they do.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #240
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also, your personal hygiene is questionable at best.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #241
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Even state senators aren't immune to the temptation.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #242
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post

heh.

now, what he did - park in the fire lane and then go inside the store (twice) - is definitely something he should get ticketed for.

speaking of, I just got pulled over on my lunch break for speeding. the cop was nice enough to let me off with a warning.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #243
Mrs. Schmidty
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I'm on cougarfreak's side. But only because I've never met a cop who wasn't power-tripping prick.

On the other hand, you broke the law, so it justified; however, the prick cop should have used common sense and just given you a warning.

I read this post before I saw the author and I thought, "Man, sounds like my husband!"

I know him so well.

As far as the ticket, ya, it's a petty one and I'd be ticked too, but in reality, the cop did his job although he could have just told you to move along. The only thing with that, at least for me, I didn't really stop speeding until I got a few tickets - the warnings just made me think I could get away with it.
Mrs. Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #244
Mrs. Schmidty
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Seriously though, I'm not even remotely like I am on forums as I am in real life. I'm actually a boring, normal guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
is that a positive or a negative thing that someone possess the testicular fortitude to be an ass online but not in person?

Not sure what it is, but it's true. I'm new to the boards and am always laughing at how he portrays himself on here. I don't want to ruin anyone's picture of him as an ass because it's something I think he's become quite proud of, but it's like living with Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde.
Mrs. Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #245
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dont think any of us believe that he isn't whipped at home
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:14 AM   #246
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Schmidty View Post
the warnings just made me think I could get away with it.

I was the same way. The first three or four times I got pulled over, I got a warning. When I got my first ticket, I was shocked. I was like... this is the part where you let me off with a warning. The cop didnt seem to think so.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote