Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2003, 02:08 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

OT - Seabiscuit background data

For racing fans, or anyone else who read the recent book Seabiscuit, here is a link to the horse's lifetime past performances.

Seabiscuit PPs

Found the link after following a few racing-related merchandisers. The horsehats site is pretty funny... I love the Sunday Silence model.

Pretty intresting reading - if you're into that kind of thing...

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

Anyone been to Santa Anita Racetrack to see the statue of Seabuscuit? It looks like any other horse, but all the same.

Also, anyone read the original Seabuscuit book?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 02:17 PM   #3
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

yes. good book.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 02:19 PM   #4
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I finally picked up Seabiscuit at the Union Station in DC. I will get to it as soon as I finish the WW2 cryptanalysis book.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 02:22 PM   #5
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

At first I thought you were talking about my ZFL team.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 05:26 PM   #6
TroyF
Coordinator

Thanks for the link QS. Thanks for the tip on the book as well. I easily put it in the top 5 non-fiction books I've ever read.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 06:00 PM   #7
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
Thanks for the link QS. Thanks for the tip on the book as well. I easily put it in the top 5 non-fiction books I've ever read.

TroyF

It is a great book. Moneyball also got me down to the local library to read Michael Lewis' older works. Liar's Poker is a great read.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 11:38 AM   #8
FishFan
College Prospect

The recent Seabiscuit book is probably the best read I've had this year. Looking forward to the movie next month.
FishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 12:06 PM   #9
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Mmmmm.... biscuits.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:12 AM   #10
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

On my recent trip, I managed to get about half way through the book. I have to say that it is probably the best sports bio I have ever read and one of the most enjoyable read, period. I have to admit that I didn't know anything about Seabiscuit. The only horse that I knew about in the first half of the century was Man o' War and come to find out that he was the grandsire of Seabiscuit himself. But more than the riveting races (my heart broke when he lost the hundred-grander the second time by a nose), it's the characters that really brings out the story. I would be very curious as to how it all translates to a movie because right now, I can't picture any of the three leads being Pollard, Smith and Howard (they just look too different, imo).
Old 07-12-2003, 12:12 PM   #11
Dutch
"Dutch"

We just watched a documentary on AFN (American Forces Network) just the other day which was pretty cool. I never thought I would watch a full hour of television about a horse and his jockey's.

But it was really good, considering that not every horse would have such a popular sports limelight.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 08:12 PM   #12
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I got through the section on where he beat War Admiral in a match race and I started weeping. That was so cool to tell those easterners to shove it (metaphorically speaking). SB now has a rupture and I believe this is the end. I do wonder, though, assuming that he retired to stud, do we have any predigrees of him racing? If he didn't make it to stud, don't tell me.

By the way, I just watched the preview clip on imdb.com and would admit that Chris Cooper appears to look good as Tom Smith. Bridges seems too young for Howard and Toby doesn't look sad-sacked enough (but that's not to say he wouldn't act well in that role).
Old 07-13-2003, 09:50 PM   #13
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
there is a horse QS data named Tugboat Frank. Now that is a name.