Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2003, 12:19 AM   #1
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ping-Kodos, Neq, Laker haters in general

Whaddya think? I know sharing the rock will be hard and team Chemistry will be pushed, but I think they can do it. Of course, that's the Laker fan in me

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 12:22 AM   #2
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I'm not really a Laker-hater, but in my opinion, I don't think sharing the rock will be much of an issue. It'll be hard for Kobe to call for the ball all the way from cellblock D.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 01:45 AM   #3
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Why are Laker fans so annoying?

And it's N-E-U-Q-U-A
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 01:46 AM   #4
korme
Go Reds

He was abbreviating, Nequa.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:30 AM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Most of the board knows now that I lean much more toward the Lakers than against them.

That said, I have to agree with Neuqua. This is just pure baiting, Kyle.

The only thing that can become of a thread started like this is a flame war, or at least a bunch of posts about a team that continues to polarize the FOFC community.

And besides, didn't you notice the thread when Payton was reported and then confirmed? We already had this discussion (not that that has stopped us before).

With the continuing possibility that Kidd and maybe P.J. Brown (for sure, some big, defensive-minded center) will end up in San Antonio, and the possibility that Zo will join the Mavs, nothing is a cinh anyway--and, yes, including a Lakers team with four Hall of Famers.

The East should just give up now if they lose Kid and Zo to the West. They were lucky to keep O'Neal (assuming he doesn't renig on his agreement with the Pacers). Watching LeBron hit reality will be the only fun thing to do in the East this season.

As for Kobe, the authorities aren't exactly rushing out to charge him, are they? I have a feeling this is going to end up another "he said-she said", like so many of these do. I wouldn't count on Kobe missing any of the upcoming season.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:34 AM   #6
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It should be an interesting expirement, if nothing else. I think they'll all be fine if they can keep winning. If they get on a losing streak, every one of those guys is well versed in the art of finger pointing, so they need to keep one spot for a scrub in the starting line-up to take the blame.

Out here in Blazerland that kind of all-over talent would guarantee the immediate re-signing of Shawn Kemp and JR Rider, as well as a long term jail sentence for someone.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 04:24 AM   #7
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

it will be interesting. but if they start off this season like last, phil may have to put in some overtime

if sa gets kidd and pj or zo, then the matchups in the west could be epic. we could be seeing the next great league rivalry here, as long as karl malone's legs don't fall off, and shaq doesn't retire
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:31 AM   #8
Blackadar
Retired

The Lakers will be tough, but it will be interesting to see if the pieces fit together AND they can stay healthy.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:32 AM   #9
Blackadar
Retired

Signature check - ah, it worked.

Last edited by Blackadar : 07-11-2003 at 06:32 AM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 08:06 AM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

Could it be that I am the number one hater for both the Cowboys and the Lakers at FOFC? And people said I would never amount to anything!

Oh, and good luck with the team chemistry. Phil can coach just about any team that has 2 or 3 of the top 5 current players to a championship fairly consistently... Except for last season.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:20 PM   #11
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I swear Phil Jackson could NOT have been this annoying when he was here in Chicago.

Tim Floyd could coach this damn Lakers team to the finals.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 07-11-2003, 02:31 PM   #12
JeeberD
General Manager

I hate the Lakers too!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:31 PM   #13
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Could it be that I am the number one hater for both the Cowboys and the Lakers at FOFC? And people said I would never amount to anything!

Oh, and good luck with the team chemistry. Phil can coach just about any team that has 2 or 3 of the top 5 current players to a championship fairly consistently... Except for last season.

As a lifelong fan of the Redskins, I'd probably be right up there with you with regards to hatred of the Cowpies.

As for the Lakers, well, my two favorite teams are the Suns and the Kings... so I have no love for them, either.

On paper, the Lakers look like they can't be beat... IF everything goes their way, but there are so many ways this team can get de-railed:

1. Bad chemistry
2. Shaq not in shape and healthy.
3. Kobe in jail.
4. Payton and Malone not fitting in the triangle.
5. Payton and/or Malone showing their age.
6. Phil Jackson has a heart attack.
7. Lakers start off slow and come unraveled under media scrutiny.
8. Other Western Conference teams start out strong, especially the pissed off Spurs, who are defending champs and already underdogs - think about it; the Suns are improving, the Kings are tough if Webber is healthy, and the Mavericks are solid. Yao and the Rockets are also getting better, and, who knows, even Portland could be decent.

On the other hand, if Kobe and Shaq are on the court and healthy, Jackson keeps the egos in check, and Payton and Malone play with the vigor of two hall-of-famers finally on a real contender, there's simply no other team in basketball that can play with these guys. Magic Johnson could drag his fat ass out of the broadcast booth and onto the court as the fifth man, and they'd still win the title.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:38 PM   #14
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

The ultimate sports fan with no soul:

Roots for the Yankees, Cowboys, Miami Hurricanes (or Notre Dame), and Lakers, and has neither lived, nor even visited any of these cities.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:40 PM   #15
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas
The ultimate sports fan with no soul:

Roots for the Yankees, Cowboys, Miami Hurricanes (or Notre Dame), and Lakers, and has neither lived, nor even visited any of these cities.

I visited LA once. But, uh, I hated it!
Old 07-11-2003, 02:49 PM   #16
dacman
College Benchwarmer

I hate the Lakers (specifically Shaq and Rick Fox).
I hate the Cowboys (especially King Jerry)
I hate the Yankees
I despise and detest Notre Dame (stuck up SOB's)

Does that make me the ultimate sports fan with soul ?

Last edited by dacman : 07-11-2003 at 02:50 PM.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 03:05 PM   #17
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by dacman
I hate the Lakers (specifically Shaq and Rick Fox).
I hate the Cowboys (especially King Jerry)
I hate the Yankees
I despise and detest Notre Dame (stuck up SOB's)

Does that make me the ultimate sports fan with soul ?

Maybe, maybe not, but it does show you have at least some degree of integrity.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:44 PM   #18
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I visited LA once. But, uh, I hated it!

How does it go? What state gained some girls Neq? ?

I think there is a greater risk of Malone and Payton not getting the triangle down then Kobe going to jail in Colorado

And yes Chief, it was bait. Hook, line, and sinker!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 03:54 PM   #19
TroyF
Coordinator

I'm still very worried about the Kobe thing. They aren't rushing to charge him because they are waiting for physical evidence to come back from the lab. That can mean one of two things:

1) they have a strong suspician he didn't do it and are simply holding off until they can say to the media and the women's groups "no evidence"

or

2) They have a strong suspician he did do it and are waiting for the evidence to come back in so they can point to all of the conspiracy theorists and say "we have physical evidence"

Knowing what I know of the sherrifs in Vail and Aspen, my money is on #2. I hope I'm wrong. I hope that Kobe is innocent and charges will not be filed. I have a feeling he's going to be spending time in a courtroom though.

As for the Lakers, I still think they didn't address their biggest problem. Defense. Payton and Malone don't give you extra speed on the wings. I think this team will have a lot of problems with teams that push the ball. (which, just happens to be every team in the west save San Antonio)

------------------------------------

I don't hate the Lakers. (I hate the breaks the Lakers have received the past few years and I hate the way the NBA is officiated, thus giving the Lakers a distinct advantage)

I don't hate the Yankees. (I hate the economic system of baseball which allows the Yankees to cultivate their stars while raping other teams for their current stars)

I hate the Cowboys. Always have. Though I like individuals off of them. (Roger Staubach comes to mind right away)

I hate Notre Dame. Always have.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 03:56 PM   #20
TroyF
Coordinator

DOLA

I've visited LA, Dallas and South Bend, Indiana. Never been to NY.

TroyF
Old 07-11-2003, 04:04 PM   #21
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
[b]
As for the Lakers, I still think they didn't address their biggest problem. Defense. Payton and Malone don't give you extra speed on the wings. I think this team will have a lot of problems with teams that push the ball. (which, just happens to be every team in the west save San Antonio)
Theres 2 methods of thinking when restructing or adding to your team. Theres the... this is the area we need to improve on to have a better shot against the teams that give us trouble. And theres the... heres the best we can do for ourselves, let the others teams try to adjust to this. The Lakers went the latter route.

I'm not saying I dont disagree with your assessment Troy. I just think the route 2 had better options available. The upgrades of Malone and Payton make changes that the other teams will need to adjust to. No more sagging off of the PF who cant hit a jump shot. No more watching Derek Fisher shoot 30% for 3 weeks and 60% for 1.

Quote:
I hate Notre Dame. Always have.
This almost brought a tear to my eye. I feel like I'm getting closer to Troy everyday.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 04:07 PM   #22
ice4277
Pro Rookie

hey Brad!
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 07:24 PM   #23
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

I hate the Yankees...not as much as the Dodgers because I'm a Giants fan.
I HATE the Cowboys...Since I'm a Niner fan...and who doesn't hate the Cowboys?
I hate the Lakers...Because of Kobe, the wanna be Jordan. T-Mac would have won 4 rings with Shaq too.
I hate ND, even though I'm Irish, yet I am Protestant. I hate them for one single reason, their fans.
I don't really care about the UM....Yet I am begining to hate them for producing Mike Rumph...
Old 07-11-2003, 07:58 PM   #24
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by heybrad
Theres 2 methods of thinking when restructing or adding to your team. Theres the... this is the area we need to improve on to have a better shot against the teams that give us trouble. And theres the... heres the best we can do for ourselves, let the others teams try to adjust to this. The Lakers went the latter route.

I'm not saying I dont disagree with your assessment Troy. I just think the route 2 had better options available. The upgrades of Malone and Payton make changes that the other teams will need to adjust to. No more sagging off of the PF who cant hit a jump shot. No more watching Derek Fisher shoot 30% for 3 weeks and 60% for 1.

I understand all of that. We'll see what happens.

TroyF
Old 07-11-2003, 09:25 PM   #25
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Re: Ping-Kodos, Neq, Laker haters in general

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
Whaddya think?

Actually I like the look of the 1990's NBA Jam Western Conference All-Stars. Only three of them can play at a time though so who sits out?